shape
carat
color
clarity

Do conventionally good looking people get advantages in life?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I might say I was spoilt for choice with this later in life & so be it. The good part was my body doing what I asked of it. Demands from third parties - not the kind to wish for.

Life is good when I can choose what people hear and see, so that I can expect good to come from them... This is much more possible with what I say than with what I look like, sure enough. Jewelry is inbetween - something about looks that is entirely chosen - & I do with it as with anything: try out tradition expecting to find out why it makes sense & it does; then - add that grain of salt to it all for good measure (see - 'Obsession')

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am fairly plain but my daughter always turns heads. From the time she was small she got advantages other children didn’t. Now at 31 she gets every job she applies for. She is brainy but being good looking doesn’t hurt. The top girl in her graduate class got passed for a lot of jobs but she got offers at every one she applied to. When she vacations with me we get freebies everywhere. I wouldn’t know how that goes. I will say that she is a feminist and it annoys her that people look at her face before her brain.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reactions: AV_

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Here's a really good article about "pretty privilege," by an amazing woman I admire so much: https://www.allure.com/story/pretty-privilege
The bottom line is that good-looking people absolutely DO get advantages in life and many psychological studies will back this up. And it actually all ties in to racial privilege as well, because it's been proven that in Western society, black children will identify white or lighter skinned dolls as "pretty" rather than dolls with darker skin tones.

I was an awkward kid, very awkward teenager, heavily bullied for my looks, and then when I moved away for college and started growing into my body, I got a lot of positive attention that I didn't know what to do with. I still have a hate/hate relationship with my physical appearance, but I've learned to trust the people who care about me and not care what anyone else says.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results