shape
carat
color
clarity

Do all parents think their kids are cute?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jaysonsmom|1334101671|3167960 said:
Now they are going through that awkward, gawky age where half their teeth are missing, and they are stretching out, so not cute

I find that age cute. Not pretty, but cute.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt overwhelming love towards my kids when they were born, but no, I don't think newborns are "cute". When my first born was born the nurses and doctor were gushing that she was beautiful, "perfect" and I didn't say anything but thought "I'll take your word on that." she had the cone head so I whipped a hat on her everytime someone tried to take a picture of her.

My youngest was funny looking for at least the first 6 months. But they get cuter the older they get. My husband and I would joke about the cuteness maximum, as in, she is just getting cuter and cuter, has she reached her cuteness maximum? I think it peaks around 4 or 5.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH made a video to commemorate DS's first year. The kid is cute now FOR SURE. And, we totally thought he was a cute baby too. But while making the video, DH said to me several times - "I can't believe I thought he was cute!"

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1334102942|3167990 said:
I've also seen some crazy-looking cone-head babies. :lol:
I was a cone headed baby! And there is NOT ONE photo of me until I was about 3 months old when I finally started getting cute. Or at least less alien-like :cheeky:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My oldest boy was a pretty baby, my youngest not so much...he kinda looked like Yoda :lol: took him awhile to grow into his ears and nose lol...but now both my boys are handsome, just in different ways (they are 26 and 15). :wink2:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1334167430|3168551 said:
I was a cone headed baby! And there is NOT ONE photo of me until I was about 3 months old when I finally started getting cute. Or at least less alien-like :cheeky:

DH didn't know about the cone head thing. We were watching a baby show recently and the baby had a pretty bad cone head- he was shocked. I told him many v-birth babies end up with them, but I don't think he believes me.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1334169152|3168578 said:

DH didn't know about the cone head thing. We were watching a baby show recently and the baby had a pretty bad cone head- he was shocked. I told him many v-birth babies end up with them, but I don't think he believes me.
Haha...well unfortunately I don't have any pictures to help you prove it to him!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1334169724|3168585 said:

Haha...well unfortunately I don't have any pictures to help you prove it to him!

How long does it last, anyway?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Oh, my goodness, how can he NOT believe this? Baby's skulls aren't completely fused (surely he knows about soft spots?) in order to allow them to squish through such a relatively small passageway out into the world. They are basically designed to get cone heads!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any babies of my own, but I would assume it would be the old "love is blind" thing and no matter how funky they look I will love them so much that they would be perfect to me.

I remember when my sister was a newborn. She wasn't cute per say, but the fact that everything is so tiny makes the entire package cute. Like little tiny fingernails and little tiny toes and little tiny butts.

I have seen one truly ugly baby. He didn't get cute either. Every month and year we hoped that it would happen. He is now 17 and it never happened for him. Nothing wrong like a disease or birth defect, just uuuuuugly. No one told his mother of course!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
A dear friend delivered her daughter two months early, a redhead covered in down. He mother was the first to affectionately refer to her as The Orangutan, poor girl. The last time we got together we went to the zoo, and there was a baby orangutan, she laughed and said "look it's a baby L!"

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1334169784|3168587 said:

I was told it didn't last longer than a couple of weeks, if even. Maybe they tried to squish it back to the right shape!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
My girl was cute, my boys not so much. If it's a biological imperative to believe that, it was my first (though not last!) parenting fail.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents will tell you that I was pretty ugly as a baby. They knew it then, too. :cheeky:

My aunt has said before that her first baby came out looking beautiful from the get-go, which she really did, but her twins? Not so much. "It took them some time to cute-up," she says. :lol:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Cute" wasn't probably the word that came to my parents' minds when I was born. I was a preemie and I spent my first few months in an incubator surrounded by tubes and wires. I think I finally hit the "cute" mark when I went home after 3 months. That's what they tell my anyway.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, my baby was beautiful when she was born, and she still is, of course! She was almost 10 pounds (which I think contributed to more fullness to her features), and she was not afflicted with the cone-head, despite having taken quite some time to come out! Several people commented on how symmetrical her features were for a newborn. Yeah, I do not brag about anything, really, except for this BABY! Love her!! :love:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Daisy was pretty cute as a tiny newborn - despite the forceps bruises - but a few weeks later went through a not so cute phase. I asked my mother (who is very honest) if she was a pretty baby and she reckoned she wasn't bad.

Biology is a very powerful force and you will probably think your kid is gorgeous!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Do all parents think their kids are cute?

Shouldn't you just go ahead and turn in your parent card if you can't believe your own child is cute? To someone else, that little one may be a bit . . . fugly . . . but to you, they better be adorable. ;))

amc80

Ideal_Rock
radiantquest|1334170783|3168608 said:
I have seen one truly ugly baby. He didn't get cute either. Every month and year we hoped that it would happen. He is now 17 and it never happened for him. Nothing wrong like a disease or birth defect, just uuuuuugly. No one told his mother of course!

I know someone with a kid like this. He's now 5 and still just really unattractive. I keep thinking he'll hit a cute stage, but I doubt it...he looks JUST like his dad...and his dad, well, yeah. But if my friend thinks her husband is attractive, then she probably thinks her kid is the cutest thing ever.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to argue w/my mom about ugly babies. I was SO worried I'd have an ugly baby. My position is ugly people come from someplace. They don't just magically appear. And it doesn't always stand to reason that good looking people will have good looking babies/kids. In school we had a kid move here that had good looking parents..like the mom should have been a model. And the kid was..you know how you lean back and grimace and make the "yiiihh" sound? Bad. What if my baby was "yiiihhh"?

When London was born I only saw her for a second before they took her upstairs while I was being stitched up (c section) and I thought "Well..huh" I guess I was expecting a beam of sunshine to fall on her and angels to serenade "ahhhhhhhhh" in the background or something. Then I was out like a light. When I was back in my room w/her and held her for the first time, :love: cuter than all get out. All smushy and red and..mine. Both my kids were fully cooked, but I expected little spindly arms and legs and skinny feets--and I got solid babies w/some heft to 'em, fat Flintstone feeties. Trapper had a little squishy man face and was all hairy like a lil monkey.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Not really. My baby was born at 39 weeks, 32" long with a weird head and lanugo all over his shoulders and back. I liked his blode/peachy fuzz but I know many didn't find it as adorable 8)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1334111032|3168123 said:
As long as they don't loupe them. :lol:

:lol:
thanks for that gypsy - i had a crappy day and that, of all things, cheered me up!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I was totally prepared to have a not-so-cute baby. I find cute newborns to be more rare than the strange-looking ones.

When K was put in my arms after my c-section, the first words out of my mouth were "Oh my god, she's beautiful". And then I though "Crap, maybe she's really ugly and I'm incapable of seeing it because she's mine". I really didn't know if she was actually cute or if I was genetically programed to think she was cute, regardless of how she looked.

Now that she's seven weeks, has baby acne, and her face looks slightly different due to big, puffy cheeks, I think she was actually cuter as a newborn. So maybe the mom goggles are coming off a little.

I do think you maintain some type of objectivity as to the cuteness of your kid, even as the mom. The fact that so many previous posters thought their kids were a bit goofy looking just affirms that for me. Though I still believe PS has cuter-than-normal kids.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My babies were beautiful and newborns. When Hunter was born I did not get to hold him right away and caught just a glimps of his little cherub face when they took him to check him out, and I kept saying over and over and over "He's so beautiful! did you see him? He is so gorgeous!" like some sort of crazy person. When Ryder was born I got to pull him right up onto my chest and he was just gorgeous and perfect too!

Maybe my kids are just THAT beautiful :lol:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1334169784|3168587 said:

My babies heads were round within about 15 minutes!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:

Wow, that seems fast!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH and I used to constantly ask each other of DD was really cute or just cute to us. I do think she is a beautiful child. I probably am biased but strangers will comment on her looks. I am not sure I have ever met a parent who didn't think their kid was cute. Well, my parents did not think my brother was cute until he was 6 months old. He was born at 27.5 weeks (lowest weight was 1.5 lbs) so he really WAS NOT cute. Poor kid. Luckily once he got older and fattened up he was adorable. Seeing how self-esteem is a learned trait, I think it is healthy that parents DO think their kids are great.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1334262114|3169505 said:
dreamer_dachsie said:

Wow, that seems fast!

My nephew had a cone head for months. She had a TOUGH V-birth and it took its toll on his poor little heard. Luckily it has rounded out.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think cone head only really happens if you're pushing for a long time and/or the baby gets stuck. I only pushed for 10 minutes, and the nurses commented that he looked like a C-section baby because his head was perfectly round.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1334270301|3169633 said:
I think cone head only really happens if you're pushing for a long time and/or the baby gets stuck. I only pushed for 10 minutes, and the nurses commented that he looked like a C-section baby because his head was perfectly round.

Yes my sister pushed a long time b/c he was getting stuck. I actually pushed for 3 straight hrs and DD had a perfectly round head. The nurses/doctor even commented on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results