shape
carat
color
clarity

Do all parents think their kids are cute?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
My husband is sure that if baby boy comes out not cute, we'll know. I think we'll be blinded by the fact that it's our baby. I've never heard a parent say that their baby isn't cute. I have heard parents say that looking back at newborn/early pictures, they can see that their baby wasn't cute at the time. I rarely find newborns cute, but they've been through a pretty traumatic process, so it's understandable.

Do all parents think their kids are cute?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1334098081|3167907 said:
Yes, we do. ;)) Even if we don't admit it, we totally do. :bigsmile:

That's what I figured...like as a parent you're genetically programmed to think your kid is the cutest thing ever.

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I think all parents do think their babies are cute. I think it's an evolutionary thing. If you thought they were ugly would you put up with all of the crap you put up with in the very beginning? It's a defense mechanism :)

Or I'm a cynic.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
my mom says that my brother looked like E.T. when he was born!! (and i was so pretty) hahaha
ETA: he got cuter shortly after. cannot remember if it took more like a week or a month until he wasn't weird-looking, though. ha!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mrs Wahs - it has to be an evolutionary thing. If we didn't think they were cute --- they wouldn't survive! Instinctually we protect our young .... good thing because when you are so sleep deprived, who knows WHAT you may be capable of when that little bundle of "SCREAM" starts up again! ;))

Your baby will be just as cute and perfect as all of ours were, AMC!!! (or probably cuter because he is YOURS!!) :bigsmile:

brownbear

Rough_Rock
My mom would say that I was not a cute baby, but I was a *good* baby (meaning I didn't fuss or cry a lot). My older brother, on the other hand, was a cute baby.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1334100760|3167943 said:
Your baby will be just as cute and perfect as all of ours were, AMC!!! (or probably cuter because he is YOURS!!) :bigsmile:

Probably- I was a premie, born two months early...

You know those pictures everyone has where the baby has the hospital beanie on and all the goop is in their eyes? Those are the pictures everyone always shares, and I've yet to see a cute one. Now, a couple of days later? Sure, some are cute. A month or two later, even more are cute. But fresh out of the oven? Not cute.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "Fresh out of the oven"!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just wait till yours is fully cooked - you'll love him so much your heart will burst --- and he will be GQ quality handsome, I'll betcha!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1334101194|3167953 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "Fresh out of the oven"!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just wait till yours is fully cooked - you'll love him so much your heart will burst --- and he will be GQ quality handsome, I'll betcha!

I don't doubt it! It really must be evolutionary, as other posters have suggested.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
No, neither of my kids were cute as babies. They were both wrinkly, underweight, had swollen abdomens and scrawny limbs like a frog.

They started getting cuter and cuter between the ages of 1-5

Now they are going through that awkward, gawky age where half their teeth are missing, and they are stretching out, so not cute

But I have every confidence that after I slap those braces on them, and get them to comb their hair, they'll be cute again, after all, they have good genes :saint:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1334101082|3167950 said:
Enerchi|1334100760|3167943 said:
Probably- I was a premie, born two months early...

You know those pictures everyone has where the baby has the hospital beanie on and all the goop is in their eyes? Those are the pictures everyone always shares, and I've yet to see a cute one. Now, a couple of days later? Sure, some are cute. A month or two later, even more are cute. But fresh out of the oven? Not cute.
I don't have one of those, but I have one from about 6 hours after she was born (I had a C-section after 20 hours of labor), her first photo, and I think she was damn good looking considering what we had both been through at that point. I know exactly the kind of photos you're talking about, but I really don't think our kid looked like your typical newborn...

I've had people tell me they thought their kid wasn't cute as a newborn...

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Not a parent, but I have a very, erm, realistic mother. I was more than a little smooshed immediately after being born, and very, very red, and was not cute, and she knew it. But she also grew up on a farm and had seen baby animals born and knew that things got better. :cheeky:

I some of it depends on the L&D you have. I've seen some C-section baby photos where the baby was extremely cute even after just being cleaned up. I've also seen some crazy-looking cone-head babies. :lol:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think they do! My kid was a cutie, even 'fresh out of the oven.' :lol: His head was beautifully shaped (not cone headed) and he had no blotchiness or 'stork bites' as they call them.

I think all babies are cute though, even newborns.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother says she burst into tears when she saw my oldest brother for the first time! Apparently he didn't look that *cute* - but he was a cute kid and grew into a very nice looking man. Not sure what was going on with her - hormonal issues, just feeling overwhelmed and emotional? Or maybe he was just kinda funny looking as a newborn! :cheeky:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
As long as they don't loupe them. :lol:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I think so....I think my daughter is cute as can be. ;))

Rubybeth has a good point about he type of delivery. We delivered my daughter via c-section for medical reasons, and she came out looking great-no cone head, no swollen face, ect. But then again, I am biased. Haha :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1334111032|3168123 said:

::snort::

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1334112587|3168154 said:

::snort::

:lol: :lol: :lol: OMG Gypsy! You crack me up! Add a Double snort to Yssies snort :lol: :lol:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's written somewhere on PS that when I first saw my daughter, my words were "Oh. She's kind of cute." I mean, I was surprised. :o

Then shortly thereafter, when she started gaining weight, I always said she was funny looking. I got plenty of (joking) flack from PS moms for this. But honestly, she was just weird looking. Reddish hair, blue-gray eyes...not really a problem but she was HALF KOREAN. It seemed strange to me. Even worse, she was a horribly unphotogenic child. I said this all at the time, not in hindsight as the kid grew older and you look back and realize they were funny looking. Nope, my child was funny looking to me AT THE TIME.

She's 4 years old now, and I think she's lovely, I really do. Apparently she grew on me! :lol:

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I think chubby newborns are cute:)
But then I'm biased!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1334102942|3167990 said:
I have a very, erm, realistic mother. I was more than a little smooshed immediately after being born, and very, very red, and was not cute, and she knew it. But she also grew up on a farm and had seen baby animals born and knew that things got better.

:lol:

Asu

Shiny_Rock
I don't have children yet,but I don't find babies cute until they are about 3/4 months old.Newborn looks more like little pink "aliens" than people to me :lol:
As for me,well I was gray,very thin and long when I was born,and I had to stay in the incubator for two weeks.My mom say I freaked her out because I looked just like a corpse,but I was crying,and it looked so wrong :lol: my grandma say I looked like a gray frog,so yeah,no "how cute!" for me :cheeky: but hey,a few months after I was all pink and blond and curly,so I recovered well :lol:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I'll say it: I don't think newborns are cute at all. Now some look better than others- I've seen some where I've thought, "Not bad for a newborn" but otherwise, I don't think kids get cute until around 6 months or so. Mine included. Actually, I've seen newborn pics of my daughter (who was adopted) and I can't believe that child in those pics is the same utterly adorable girl I have now :love: And my son- awkward! With the hair loss in the balding pattern! But such a cutie now.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes. But, even if you think they're cute, parents can still tell if they're a little goofy looking... (But they'll still be cute to you, anyhow!)

My mother-in-law thought all of her kids were cute, but was the first to admit that the first two were goofy looking because they had bumps on the back of their heads from her pushing so hard. The bumps went away and they really were cuties.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1334144845|3168296 said:
I'll say it: I don't think newborns are cute at all. Now some look better than others- I've seen some where I've thought, "Not bad for a newborn" but otherwise, I don't think kids get cute until around 6 months or so. Mine included. Actually, I've seen newborn pics of my daughter (who was adopted) and I can't believe that child in those pics is the same utterly adorable girl I have now :love: And my son- awkward! With the hair loss in the balding pattern! But such a cutie now.

Lol, my son had a wonderful "toilet bowl" (as my husband called it) for a while until his hair grew in again!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That would be a HUGE loupe!

I don't have kids, but I have many friends and siblings/inlaws with kids and the ones born C-Section look "cuter" fresh out of the oven than the ones that came out of the pastry bag first. My nephew that was born in November looked the spitting image of my dad does first thing in the morning (groggy and pissed off!) and we routinely giggle at that first photo they took to show my sister after they pulled him out of the oven. However, at 4 months old, his hair is equally hilarious. He has a trump combover of dark hair and then all this little blond fuzz where the lost hair is coming back.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone read the "All Creatures Great and Small" series by James Herriot? If you have you may remember his descriptions of the births of two of his children. Utter horror. They were red, blotchy, misshapen. (And this from a vet who had delivered hundreds of baby animals) The midwife is incensed. The same midwife is, by the second time around, primed and on the defensive when she sees "the look" creep over his face. "That is a PERFECT, BEAUTIFUL BABY Mr Herriot!!!" ;))

Great stuff.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Tuckins1|1334148902|3168316 said:
Logan Sapphire|1334144845|3168296 said:

Lol, my son had a wonderful "toilet bowl" (as my husband called it) for a while until his hair grew in again!

This is THE perfect description! Toilet bowl for sure!!! So, so awkward. He came out with the cone head too, though it went away in a day or so, but it sort of traumatized DH and me and we kept asking the pediatricians if his head was flat. They all said the same thing- that it was one of the most perfectly rounded heads they'd ever seen and not to worry, but btwn the conehead and toilet bowl hair, eeks!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I'm being honest, nope...my son was not cute until about 6m old. When he "came out of the oven" (lol), he was a smushed from being stuck in there and then for the first couple of months, he had bad baby acne, not to mention a really large nose for his face. It really took a few months for him to grow into it. :lol: I spent quite a bit of time privately wondering if he was going to be an ugly kid. :shock: Thank goodness he's pretty handsome now (he'll never be a model, but he'll be a heartbreaker).

My daughter was also hideous right after birth. She basically "fell" out so she had all of that cheesy stuff on her and it was pretty nasty. Luckily, after a good bath, she was adorable and has remained that way (which is a good thing because she's a pistol and DH and I always comment that if she weren't cute, she'd be in trouble!)!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results