shape
carat
color
clarity

DM for price! And other IG sales tactics that suck.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I sell a small number of my own things on IG, generally I always put a price in the description, and I keep lowering it on IG and on Etsy until it sells, I don't see the point of not being upfront of what something costs. If someone returns something I will lower the price until it sells.

A large number of sellers do ask you to private message them for pricing, I'm like WTF just put the price already. It's annoying and I always wonder so is there one price for one person and another for a different person. More annoyingly I have vendors that message me hassling for discounts on everything. I'm like this is my own personal stuff - a lot of it is what I paid for it or less already, if you want a discount go buy it somewhere else..... especially when I know you are then going to turn around and charge people twice or more what I'm asking for something.

I've seen that someone buys an Antique piece from me or people on PS and then charges double for it..... and puts DM me for pricing on IG :doh:

And the running joke on IG in the Antique jewellery community, is there is a well known popular lady on IG (she has over 10 000+ followers) and Etsy who sells stuff from another popular UK Antique vendor and others for a lot more without having purchased their items, so she rips off their pics, charges twice the price and doesn't even have their stuff, if she sells it then she buys it off the real vendors, if they sell it then it is unavailable and she has to refund her own customers. Another highly unethical way to conduct a business...

And don't get me started on the same vendor and many others that sell Antique copies made in India and elsewhere claiming they are 100+ year old genuine Antiques on IG....

I can think of some other examples of this on IG. It makes me super reluctant to buy anything from them, even when I can't work out the source and don't know how to get the item myself. I just feel slimy, and I can't help having a knee jerk reaction every time I see a recommendation on ps that someone buy from these IG vendors. I personally feel there is nothing wrong with charging a 'finders fee' markup, but I hate it when they don't even have the item in inventory. I also hate it their finders fee is an extremely large percentage of the price.

I now side eye all IG vendors that dont have websites selling their inventory with actual pricing or prices listed on their posts. Just because of a few bad cases, it is a shame.

Last edited:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also hate the slow box opening videos, which I think is an unpopular opinion. I know I’m wasting time on IG, don’t drag it out and make it an even bigger time waster.

Now get off my lawn!! (Just realized I sound like a grumpy old lady in this post :)).

OMG YES!!! The slow unboxings are super annoying. What's so special about a box opening? Just go straight to the money shot!!! :confused2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sell a small number of my own things on IG, generally I always put a price in the description, and I keep lowering it on IG and on Etsy until it sells, I don't see the point of not being upfront of what something costs. If someone returns something I will lower the price until it sells.

A large number of sellers do ask you to private message them for pricing, I'm like WTF just put the price already. It's annoying and I always wonder so is there one price for one person and another for a different person. More annoyingly I have vendors that message me hassling for discounts on everything. I'm like this is my own personal stuff - a lot of it is what I paid for it or less already, if you want a discount go buy it somewhere else..... especially when I know you are then going to turn around and charge people twice or more what I'm asking for something.

I've seen that someone buys an Antique piece from me or people on PS and then charges double for it..... and puts DM me for pricing on IG :doh:

And the running joke on IG in the Antique jewellery community, is there is a well known popular lady on IG (she has over 10 000+ followers) and Etsy who sells stuff from another popular UK Antique vendor and others for a lot more without having purchased their items, so she rips off their pics, charges twice the price and doesn't even have their stuff, if she sells it then she buys it off the real vendors, if they sell it then it is unavailable and she has to refund her own customers. Another highly unethical way to conduct a business...

And don't get me started on the same vendor and many others that sell Antique copies made in India and elsewhere claiming they are 100+ year old genuine Antiques on IG....

Sadly, I can think of at least two IG sellers who fit this description.

Yes there are more than two on there, but it pays to check out what you are buying either with a valuer or another Antiques dealer or get to know the person selling the items, and make sure they have a refund policy.

@arkieb1 @JPie Could you guys share the name of the IG sellers who do this? I for one would greatly appreciate knowing who it is. Thanks.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@arkieb1 @JPie Could you guys share the name of the IG sellers who do this? I for one would greatly appreciate knowing who it is. Thanks.

I agree that it would be pertinent to know who these sellers are. When I buy a vintage/antique piece, I expect the vendor to have inspected the item for me. If the vendor doesn't physically have the inventory, this obviously isn't possible. This is shirking a large part of their responsibility imo.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
there is a B&M jewelry store not too far from me that has embraced transparency in an interesting way...for the settings, instead of having them in a glass case that locks they are in a glass case that opens and you can pull the drawer out, try on whatever you like, and check the prices yourself. they'll help you as much or as little as you want. so smart, imho. i also (maybe densely) didn't realize at first that branded settings/bridal inventory are often some kind of coated base metal sample instead of gold/plat/etc. it makes sense that they're willing to take more of a risk with those. i don't know what the IG equivalent is but i really liked browsing there and even though i bought elsewhere i'd go again or recommend it to others

YES, I have been to one jewelry store that does something like this. It's a mall store that sells some designer settings--Bailey, Banks, and Biddle. Unfortunately, they closed. Anyway, I went and tried on dozens of rings EVERY time I visited this mall. I liked it because you didn't have to bother a sales person to try on rings. They just have samples out for you to try on. The stones are cz and the metal is probably some type of silver, but you still get the idea about whether or not you like the setting. I discovered that I LOVED a certain A. Jaffe soli that I never would have picked out of an online listing or even asked to try on from the case. It's very comfortable and flattering.

They do have other rings behind some glass cases that you have to ask to try on and buy outright.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller I mentioned in the first post of this thread is lindasherrie. I have screenshots of our entire IG conversation history for anyone who wants to verify my account of what happened.

I haven’t had direct experience with other questionable IG sellers but this is what I am comfortable with posting:
  • Last year, YourJeweleryFinder was accused by ADealBetweenUs of using his photo without credit to offer a piece for sale. The item in question did not belong to YJF, nor had she made prior arrangements with ADBU about it. He said she blocked his account but he was alerted by one of his account followers who recognized the piece as his. When he posted about the incident with screenshots, YJF deleted the sale post, insisted in other posts that she did nothing wrong, then deleted all mention of the incident from her IG. I no longer follow YJF so I do not know if that was a one-time incident or a recurring theme.
  • This seller has been in the center of much controversy in the IG jewelry community: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/ladyloveliescurio.com I have not purchased anything from her so I have no bad experiences to share. She has multiple IG selling accounts and 60K+ followers. The accusations made against her are about the misrepresentation of items - incorrectly stated gold content, poorly repaired pieces sold as perfect condition, and refusing refunds when confronted with appraisals revealing the misrepresentation. Her response has been that honest mistakes happen, she's only human, and she will gladly refund you if you're not happy. I choose not to shop with her because I have seen her list a $900 eBay ring for over $2,000, and I don't feel the need to line her pockets.
  • Last PSA: this Georgian reproduction ring is currently being sold on Ruby Lane as an authentic antique. I do not know if the seller is aware that it's a repro, but do yourself a favor and don't pay more than a few hundred for this: https://www.rubylane.com/item/996295-3067/Georgian-14K-Sterling-Silver-Rose-Cut?search=1 Here's the same ring sold by another vendor as a repro: https://www.morninggloryjewelry.com...ring-heart-garnet-cabochon-rose-cut-diamonds/

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
The seller I mentioned in the first post of this thread is lindasherrie. I have screenshots of our entire IG conversation history for anyone who wants to verify my account of what happened.

I haven’t had direct experience with other questionable IG sellers but this is what I am comfortable with posting:
  • Last year, YourJeweleryFinder was accused by ADealBetweenUs of using his photo without credit to offer a piece for sale. The item in question did not belong to YJF, nor had she made prior arrangements with ADBU about it. He said she blocked his account but he was alerted by one of his account followers who recognized the piece as his. When he posted about the incident with screenshots, YJF deleted the sale post, insisted in other posts that she did nothing wrong, then deleted all mention of the incident from her IG. I no longer follow YJF so I do not know if that was a one-time incident or a recurring theme.
  • This seller has been in the center of much controversy in the IG jewelry community: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/ladyloveliescurio.com I have not purchased anything from her so I have no bad experiences to share. She has multiple IG selling accounts and 60K+ followers. The accusations made against her are about the misrepresentation of items - incorrectly stated gold content, poorly repaired pieces sold as perfect condition, and refusing refunds when confronted with appraisals revealing the misrepresentation. Her response has been that honest mistakes happen, she's only human, and she will gladly refund you if you're not happy. I choose not to shop with her because I have seen her list a $900 eBay ring for over $2,000, and I don't feel the need to line her pockets.
  • Last PSA: this Georgian reproduction ring is currently being sold on Ruby Lane as an authentic antique. I do not know if the seller is aware that it's a repro, but do yourself a favor and don't pay more than a few hundred for this: https://www.rubylane.com/item/996295-3067/Georgian-14K-Sterling-Silver-Rose-Cut?search=1 Here's the same ring sold by another vendor as a repro: https://www.morninggloryjewelry.com...ring-heart-garnet-cabochon-rose-cut-diamonds/
Thank you so much for naming these shady sellers. I know about ladyloveliescurio, but not the others.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

of these i'd only heard of yourjewelryfinder previously and remember thinking her pricing seemed really high. that explains it...!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for naming these shady sellers. I know about ladyloveliescurio, but not the others.

I suspected one was her too. Her prices are so high too!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
of these i'd only heard of yourjewelryfinder previously and remember thinking her pricing seemed really high. that explains it...!
Yeah...it's high. But I guess it makes sense now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you @JPie, I appreciate you sharing this.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for sharing. I thought one was lady lovelies.

There is so much Georgian jewelry that is misrepresented. I am glad that's not my time period.

Another thing I see are target ring settings. I see so many that are pristine and they are not disclosed as newly made.

I think some sellers make mistakes, but I saw one seller buy a piece from another vendor at a show. The original seller has it on their page as a repro setting before. I remember it. The new seller bought it and sold it as genuine. Now the new seller is not super experienced and went from a hobby to a small shop. I don't know if she was deceived or what.

But I always shake my head at pristine target rings. If it's really deco, unless it was on a safe sitting or a box and not worn, it's going to have gemstone wear and abrasion and probably small chips in the halo.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing. I thought one was lady lovelies.

There is so much Georgian jewelry that is misrepresented. I am glad that's not my time period.

Another thing I see are target ring settings. I see so many that are pristine and they are not disclosed as newly made.

I think some sellers make mistakes, but I saw one seller buy a piece from another vendor at a show. The original seller has it on their page as a repro setting before. I remember it. The new seller bought it and sold it as genuine. Now the new seller is not super experienced and went from a hobby to a small shop. I don't know if she was deceived or what.

But I always shake my head at pristine target rings. If it's really deco, unless it was on a safe sitting or a box and not worn, it's going to have gemstone wear and abrasion and probably small chips in the halo.

That's awful. The new seller knew it was not genuine and sold it as if it was an original. Deception pure and simple. :nono:
I would rather pay more to honest above board sellers than people who deceive and yes mistakes happen but ignorance when one is in the business isn't OK either. I think if an honest mistake happens and the buyer realizes it and approaches the vendor and the vendor makes it right that's cool. But to purposefully deceive is so not cool and in my book unethical.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
That's awful. The new seller knew it was not genuine and sold it as if it was an original. Deception pure and simple. :nono:
I would rather pay more to honest above board sellers than people who deceive and yes mistakes happen but ignorance when one is in the business isn't OK either. I think if an honest mistake happens and the buyer realizes it and approaches the vendor and the vendor makes it right that's cool. But to purposefully deceive is so not cool and in my book unethical.

Yes! Agree!

And you know what- I don't mind a repro target setting. I have had two before and while I no longer have the rings, they looked just fine. Being newly made meant I didn't have to worry about sapphires or emeralds in the Calibre halo falling out if I wacked my hand or did something dumb. Disclose it and it's fine!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat mistakes happen, and I agree with @missy that sellers need to be educated about their own product and stand behind what they sell.

The authentication of antique jewelry seems to be a tricky business. For example, I have a ring purchased from a very reputable seller. I got the opinion of two other sellers about the age of it and they both said it was a reproduction and why they thought so. A third seller said it was authentic, and I trust her opinion because it's based on years of doing restoration, repairs, and conversions with similar antique pieces.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'm talking a lot about halos today!

I bought a ring from Diamond Addiction on Etsy that was sold as a likely French, deco enamel ring. It had some weird hallmarks that were pretty well worn. You really had to work to get them in sight even with a loupe.

I don't have it anymore, but I went back after I no longer had it because I had bought a new book that had all kinds of hallmarks. Based upon what I saw, it was a Polish reproduction that dated to the 1960's. I learned this well after I no longer had it. A vendor confirmed it too.

I think if you have a shop like that you need to research the hallmarks. They were not anywhere close to french hallmarks. I stupidly didn't check at the time because the ring was around $1k, because the center was about .50.

I always wondered if I should say something to the shop, but chose not to.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve DM’d asking for a price recently, asking for a link to buy, but the seller didn’t have an Etsy/eBay/website. I didn’t feel safe just sending money to a stranger without some kind of details listed on an actual page. Why the secrecy? When it comes to buying, there is no appeal to “mystery”.

I’m not quite sure if there’s something ‘uncool’ about just letting Etsy or another website support the instagram items. I’m not in the Trade, but I have an Etsy for this precise purpose; when I sell something I list the details and price, offer a full refund no questions asked, and the buyer can see the tracking number and contact me, no games, no messing around. What’s so hard about that?

Replying in this thread- the other thread's OP doesn't deserve this hijack.

Answer to the above bolded is: following rules/guidelines/fees/accountability of those sites you mentioned. It's all fun and games and 'friendly' on IG until it's not.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Just want to add that’s another reason I love Alex @parkfinegroupsinc on IG. He always lists the prices and is crystal clear and transparent. And has fantastic prices too!

https://instagram.com/parksfinegroupinc?igshid=1ora7fjb5f4xe

I agree with this. Plus he is so nice. He doesn’t let you second guess yourself. I haven’t even buy from him yet. I’ve asked him on so many items already and he indulged me. He makes me feel like I’m not bothering him.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are two groups those that aren't aware they are selling reproductions or newer Antique pieces, and those that don't care.

I know Lady Lovelies Curio, she tries her best to sell genuine pieces, having said that I think she made a few mistakes when she first started selling on IG that have come back to haunt her, these days she is far more careful about what she sells.

The other lady named by @JPie however, has been knowingly reselling stuff from Adam and others using their photos on Etsy and IG when she doesn't even own the pieces she is selling... she has been called out on this several times and is still doing it.

There is a Russian lady selling on Etsy who will remain nameless that also has a huge following that sells anything as Antiques and doesn't care, and another two that I can think of on Etsy with shops full of fake Victorian and Georgian portrait eye pieces (rings, brooches and pendants, that are not Antiques) selling them for thousands of dollars.

Look carefully there are more than a dozen of them on Etsy or IG, some big some small, that misrepresent the period of the pieces or the work that has been done to those pieces, for example a few of them take something old like a ring setting and they get a brand new old looking portrait done and set it in an old setting selling it as an all Antique pieces, the eye pieces are a classic example of this instead of selling a complete reproduction they knowingly take pieces of old mix them with new and sell them as thousands of dollar genuine Antiques - this has been going on since IG and Etsy started.

jauhara

Rough_Rock
Trade
I used to follow a lot of jewelers on IG but the habit of not posting pricing put me off. Slowly I unfollowed all of them except ParksFineGroup. I love the stones he finds and I love seeing the prices. I haven't bought from him yet, but I'm certain I will one day.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm over it now. If you can't list the price, then I don't bother, it's so frustrating. Then you have those on IG that say they have Etsy also, you go to their Etsy and there are only two items on there (repeatedly), really? They show 30 on IG and so you have to got IG and inquire. I give up. If you really wanted to sell it, you would list the price. I am not here to play games. Count me gone. Also by the time you get an answer on something it's sold.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
There is a new shop on Instagram with a website. One of their listings came up that was my old ring. I sold it for $825. They are selling it for $1750.

https://www.lumiere-shop.com/shop/blueenameldiamondring

The woman I sold it to asked for a discount because she loved it, but had a budget she had to stick to, had recent unexpected vet bills and hope I wouldn't be offended, etc. I know people lie, but really? The email of the person I sold it to matches the name of the person that responded to me at the antique shop. Just be honest and say I want to buy this ring and this is what I will offer. Don't tell me a sob story about how you have a budget, want to buy it and can I consider x because of why if it is something you are buying to flip. Just make your offer and I'll say yes or no or counter.

https://www.lumiere-shop.com/

This is the ring I referenced above that I later found out is likely a reproduction. They are listing it as a dealer, saying it is a French deco ring. They note that there are hallmarks, but don't disclose that the hallmarks don't match any known French hallmarks. The don't even have photos of them. If they did research on them, they should know they are not traditional French hallmarks in anyway shape or form.

And this...

https://www.lumiere-shop.com/shop/artnouveautopazring

That looks like synthetic blue spinel to me and it's way too heavy of a setting to be art nouveau in my opinion.

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The woman I sold it to asked for a discount because she loved it, but had a budget she had to stick to, had recent unexpected vet bills and hope I wouldn't be offended, etc. I know people lie, but really? The email of the person I sold it to matches the name of the person that responded to me at the antique shop. Just be honest and say I want to buy this ring and this is what I will offer. Don't tell me a sob story about how you have a budget, want to buy it and can I consider x because of why if it is something you are buying to flip. Just make your offer and I'll say yes or no or counter.

I've heard variations on this story so many times and had it happen to me many years ago while selling my first car (opportunity cost of $1100 which was huge to me at the time!). Sorry to hear it.

When I sell something of mine peer-to-peer these days I just stick to whatever price I've listed or whatever I have in mind as my bottom line and consider the buyer's stories or motivations to be their own business and irrelevant to the transaction. o_O

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I've heard variations on this story so many times and had it happen to me many years ago while selling my first car (opportunity cost of $1100 which was huge to me at the time!). Sorry to hear it.

When I sell something of mine peer-to-peer these days I just stick to whatever price I've listed or whatever I have in mind as my bottom line and consider the buyer's stories or motivations to be their own business and irrelevant to the transaction. o_O

Thanks. Sometimes I think I am too nice.

I am kind of ticked off. I emailed them. And I also emailed that they should do their research and if they are going to hold themselves out as dealers, they should research hallmarks. I also said that if they are going to acquire pieces from individuals, don't lie about the details when you make an offer. Just make an offer and be done with it. Just a shady business practice.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm over it now. If you can't list the price, then I don't bother, it's so frustrating. Then you have those on IG that say they have Etsy also, you go to their Etsy and there are only two items on there (repeatedly), really? They show 30 on IG and so you have to got IG and inquire. I give up. If you really wanted to sell it, you would list the price. I am not here to play games. Count me gone. Also by the time you get an answer on something it's sold.

YES!!! What is with the whole "All these pieces are listed in my Etsy shop - please visit for details" only to arrive at an Etsy that has nothing in it?!? This is super duper common on Instagram. WHY do they do this??? I can't bear to think of the amount of time I've wasted on this futile exercise.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat I'm sorry you had to deal with that. That person is just plain greedy and took advantage of your kindness. It's so wrong of her to misrepresent the ring too. I've added her to my blocked list on Instagram.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat I'm sorry you had to deal with that. That person is just plain greedy and took advantage of your kindness. It's so wrong of her to misrepresent the ring too. I've added her to my blocked list on Instagram.
I just did the same. Thanks for the heads-up, Elizat, and I'm sorry that happened to you!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
There is a new shop on Instagram with a website. One of their listings came up that was my old ring. I sold it for $825. They are selling it for $1750.

This is the ring I referenced above that I later found out is likely a reproduction. They are listing it as a dealer, saying it is a French deco ring. They note that there are hallmarks, but don't disclose that the hallmarks don't match any known French hallmarks. The don't even have photos of them. If they did research on them, they should know they are not traditional French hallmarks in anyway shape or form.

And this...

That looks like synthetic blue spinel to me and it's way too heavy of a setting to be art nouveau in my opinion.
That's shady AF. Thank you for sharing her shop name so I can buy from her, never.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

And this...

this is terrible sorry you had to deal with it, glad you shared this. I can’t think of worst way of being taken advantage over!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another annoying tactic is, "DM for details. Serious inquiries only." :roll: Wait, so I can only contact you if there's a very good chance I will end up buying? How could I possibly know that I'm going to buy unless I ask for the details/pricing? Does that mean I'd be a "non-serious" jerk if I ask for deets and then decide against it??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results