shape
carat
color
clarity

DIY eternity band

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
I am shopping for my wife’s 10 anniversary present. Looking for a 17 stone @ 5.5cttw. I enjoy diamond shopping. I want to buy all the stones loose. Then get them mounted in a butter cup eternity setting. I am looking for pointers. How do I match all the stones? What tolerance level is there for diamond specs to achieve a match?

Jr3

Rough_Rock
You could have BGD cut all the stones to your personal ideal specs, I know they do that!
Im sure as long as the stones are within close proximity of color it should be fine. It might be difficult unless buying from the same place. I dont have experience doing that though

Efriede

Shiny_Rock
I just finished similar project with hand selected individual stones for m eternity band with 30 pointers.

BGD has a good inventory of 20-30 pointers in different specs: it’s easy to pick up for an eternity band the best cut matched diamonds.

Do you have particular setting in mind?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want ovals or rounds?

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
You could have BGD cut all the stones to your personal ideal specs, I know they do that!
Im sure as long as the stones are within close proximity of color it should be fine. It might be difficult unless buying from the same place. I dont have experience doing that though

Just contacted BGD. They only offer this service for rounds. Not ovals. Sad day.

Jr3

Rough_Rock
Just contacted BGD. They only offer this service for rounds. Not ovals. Sad day.

Oh darn! Another avenue would be Victor Canera, Leon Mege, ID jewelry, Steven Kirsch as well! Best of luck!!! Ovals are tricky. Im surprised they wont hand cut you some ovals at BGD. :(

Jr3

Rough_Rock
Oh I almost forgot Lauren B jewelry too!!!
They have multiple oval eternity bands and half eternity bands on their site, SUPER reasonably priced and I even love them, and I do not like many ovals.:)
Also sure Graff would be happy to help as well?

if you are interested in a full eternity by chance here is the link to my favorite they offer

Steven Kirsch, Leon Mege, and Victor Canera would be amazing if you plan on having the setting custom done too.. hand forged from wire is pretty special! Leon has a crazily beautiful oval band on his site, r7921_Band_Diamond_Leon_Mege_New_York_watermark.jpg

Jr3

Rough_Rock
Leon has a real eye for detail and perfection. If it were me, that would be my personal favorite option and he has an amazing inventory of stones, and I wonder if he could even have stones hand cut for you?
It might be a good idea to make sure all the L/W ratios of the stones are the same or very similar too!

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
Whelp... decided to make the DIY plunge. How hard it could be?!? Haha. Bought my first of 17 stones from Ritani. It’s a .32ct oval at 1.44ratio/G/VS2 My range for a match is 1.44 to 1.46 ratio. Wish me luck! I’ll be buying one every two weeks until complete. Then I’ll have my jeweler set them in a platinum shared prong butter cup setting. Ps. I have many more metrics to help me match than what I listed above.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Whelp... decided to make the DIY plunge. How hard it could be?!? Haha. Bought my first of 17 stones from Ritani. It’s a .32ct oval at 1.44ratio/G/VS2 My range for a match is 1.44 to 1.46 ratio. Wish me luck! I’ll be buying one every two weeks until complete. Then I’ll have my jeweler set them in a platinum shared prong butter cup setting. Ps. I have many more metrics to help me match than what I listed above.

That's a good gameplan

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
I have read a lot about metals and I believe platinum is more durable metal than gold. Since I’m building an eternity band. I want it to be strong as hell!

Talked to a jeweler today. He recommended I go with gold. He says over time platinum won’t brake but the prongs will slowly bend over time and I will start losing stones.

All of my reading says otherwise. Platinum is as hard as steel...

I want to hear what you think on this topic?

I received my first stone last week! Look amazing!!!! Purchased from Ritani. My second stone comes in next week. My goal is to buy two stone a month. I’m buying ovals between .32 and .33.

This process is much harder than I thought. I’m trying to match sooo many criteria. Takes about two weeks to find a match.

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
This is almost what you are looking for, but already mounted. 17 diamonds, 5ctw in a size 5.
https://www.bluenile.com/blue-nile-...iamond-eternity-band-in-platinum-5-cttw_75169 It will give you a good idea of a legitimate cost range.

I save a massive amount of money buying loose stones myself. Blue Nile wants $20k including tax LOL. I’m buying at GIA stones at $450 per. Total will be $7,650 in stone cost. My jeweler will make the setting for $2,500 in platinum. Grand total will be $10,150. I save $10k doing it myself. CRAZY!

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
Just got my 17th stone in. Went to my jeweler, he is making a wax mould. Once complete he is going to test fit my stones. If all perfect, he will then use the mould to cast the gold ring. Yes there are only 16 in the photos.... C54A3C0B-0B7D-4F4A-BC34-203C9039917D.jpeg

Attachments

• 9D0AC005-8885-49AB-8363-500B51A71793.jpeg
    9D0AC005-8885-49AB-8363-500B51A71793.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 15

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics when you're done! Congrats on finding all the stones!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An oval eternity band - Sounds lovely! Ovals were my first love.
Can I ask what size tolerance difference in the sizes of each stone is?

would love to see a focused shot of all them face up. Like pushed into foam or something to keep them aligned.or one of those clear sticky top boxes

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
Just got my 17th stone in. Went to my jeweler, he is making a wax mould. Once complete he is going to test fit my stones. If all perfect, he will then use the mould to cast the gold ring. Yes there are only 16 in the photos.... C54A3C0B-0B7D-4F4A-BC34-203C9039917D.jpeg

Wax mold***

wolfgre

Rough_Rock

would love to see a focused shot of all them face up. Like pushed into foam or something to keep them aligned.or one of those clear sticky top boxes

I kept meticulous records. Here is my spreadsheet tracking all my specs. All are GIA certified.
DB6B89CA-E8C9-4E3D-922A-7B9828C1DA17.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shared prong buttercup setting?
Can you show a sample picture?

How close are the faceting patterns and outline shapes on these ovals?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I found a stock setting that is called shared prong buttercup setting.
it’s lovely.
- but -
This setting with its cups acting as one same exact ellipse shape as outline for each stone will accentuate any variations of egg, skinny pointy or wide blunt end shapes in your ovals. And maybe even effectiveness or aesthetics of shared prong.

where that sits in saving 10k is where we all vary.

Last edited:

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
I think I found a stock setting that is called shared prong buttercup setting.
it’s lovely.
- but -
This setting with its cups acting as one same exact ellipse shape as outline for each stone will accentuate any variations of egg, skinny pointy or wide blunt end shapes in your ovals. And maybe even effectiveness or aesthetics of shared prong.

where that sits in saving 10k is where we all vary.
Here is the inspiration setting.
A2995301-BC3D-44AF-A7B5-5D19F7C039ED.jpeg

Attachments

• A10A6262-910F-4D95-AD81-34C40408C1BA.jpeg
    A10A6262-910F-4D95-AD81-34C40408C1BA.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 25

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
You are the sweetest ever! And honestly as a wife I would prefer something you made by picking out all the diamonds yourself. It’s so romantic and special. Good choice. She will love it and WE will love it too!

wolfgre

Rough_Rock
My jeweler called today! He says the wax mold is finished. I needed me to bring my stones in for a test fit. And the fit was perfect! He will do the casting tomorrow. Here is a photo of the wax mold. 7432B2CE-B0E5-401B-8176-B951D621C757.jpeg

Attachments

• 08AE9E6A-5A18-43EA-8768-2E1CB756B779.jpeg
    08AE9E6A-5A18-43EA-8768-2E1CB756B779.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 10
You're so close to completion! Can't wait to see the finished piece. What a labor of love.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
This is so exciting and romantic! Such a labor of love. Can’t wait to see the finish product.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results