shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT 'Divorce' ring

samranmal

Rough_Rock
Since I've officially come out of lurking status on this site, I thought this would be a fun thread (fun?). After my divorce, I wanted to turn my diamond into a divorce ring. I felt naked on my left hand and realized wearing something on my middle finger made me less conscious of what was missing. My son's birthstone is emerald, so the design thought behind the ring is that the marriage created my son and I am forever grateful for his presence.
The ring also symbolizes to me the strength it took to survive divorce, a baby and unemployment all at the same time.

I joke now that if I ever put a ring on my left finger again, it will have to blow my divorce ring out of the water ;-)

I'm curious to see if anybody else turned their old wedding rings into something fabulous!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

iguanatan

Rough_Rock
Wow, that is beyond stunning. I am an emerald lover, so that speaks to me. I think it is a perfect reminder of your resilience, and to find the beauty in everything.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to posting!! Your ring is beautiful. I think it's deeply symbolic in the changes you made around the diamond. The original ring came from the desire to make meaning about the marriage. When divorce happens, it's equally important to make meaning of the experience. And this is perhaps even more significant than getting engaged. I think that what you did with the diamond really does make meaning out of a very deep and formative experience. Really, truly beautiful! Well done.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is SO stunning! Who made your setting? I love it!! And I love that you took a negative and made it a positive. I didn't divorce but I did go through an awful break up of an engagement and call my rings from that time "selfgagement rings"-- to show that I love myself first before any man!

Someone else whose done what you've done is AthenaWorth (Gilded Lane). She took her gorgeous stone and turned it into a fabulous chunk a hunk and wears it on her middle finger too.

I have an IRL friend who also wears a new ring on her middle after catching her husband cheat on her. She considers the middle finger like a big "fvck you" to him.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its supercool and gorgeous!

samranmal

Rough_Rock
Welcome to posting!! Your ring is beautiful. I think it's deeply symbolic in the changes you made around the diamond. The original ring came from the desire to make meaning about the marriage. When divorce happens, it's equally important to make meaning of the experience. And this is perhaps even more significant than getting engaged. I think that what you did with the diamond really does make meaning out of a very deep and formative experience. Really, truly beautiful! Well
This is SO stunning! Who made your setting? I love it!! And I love that you took a negative and made it a positive. I didn't divorce but I did go through an awful break up of an engagement and call my rings from that time "selfgagement rings"-- to show that I love myself first before any man!

Someone else whose done what you've done is AthenaWorth (Gilded Lane). She took her gorgeous stone and turned it into a fabulous chunk a hunk and wears it on her middle finger too.

I have an IRL friend who also wears a new ring on her middle after catching her husband cheat on her. She considers the middle finger like a big "fvck you" to him.
It was a local jeweler. I found a design I liked online and he made a CAD image and created the ring. I'm sure I paid up a bit for it, but I hadn't found this forum yet to guide me to some other alternates :) The poor guy went through so many emeralds because they kept breaking during the setting process. And my divorce happened for the same reason as your RL friend, so yes...it is sort of an F you ring as well :) I love your selfgagement idea too. We really do need to love ourselves first, and sometimes a bad breakup or divorce is exactly what we need to remind us of that!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a stunning ring! What size is the center stone? I love what you did with the ring and the story behind it so meaningful. Wear it in happiness!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I love your new setting. Congrats on moving forward.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Congratulations:love:

samranmal

Rough_Rock
That is a stunning ring! What size is the center stone? I love what you did with the ring and the story behind it so meaningful. Wear it in happiness!
Thank you! It is a 1.31 G VS1, excellent cut.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring! Congratulations on turning what could have been a sad reminder into a positive testament to your abilities

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! It's a great symbol of your strength, survival, transition, evolution. I hung onto my engagement ring for years after my divorce because I couldn't make up my mind whether to make it into a pendant or buy a matching stone for earrings or whatev. I finally ended up giving it to a young woman I met and grew to know at my gym. She and her husband were doing a recommitment ceremony after being married 5 years and having 3 young children. All of their friends and family said they wouldn't last a year and they worked very hard to make their little family secure and to keep loving each other through quite a bit of adversity. He felt bad about not being able to afford a diamond for her so I offered mine and they accepted. It made me happy to see that ring make someone else happy.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! It's a great symbol of your strength, survival, transition, evolution. I hung onto my engagement ring for years after my divorce because I couldn't make up my mind whether to make it into a pendant or buy a matching stone for earrings or whatev. I finally ended up giving it to a young woman I met and grew to know at my gym. She and her husband were doing a recommitment ceremony after being married 5 years and having 3 young children. All of their friends and family said they wouldn't last a year and they worked very hard to make their little family secure and to keep loving each other through quite a bit of adversity. He felt bad about not being able to afford a diamond for her so I offered mine and they accepted. It made me happy to see that ring make someone else happy.

My Tatas, that is the sweetest thing ever. You're like a blingy fairy god mother!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beyond stunning. I am wiping the drool of my keyboard as I write this.

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
This is amazing and I so wish I'd done it when I got divorced. I sold all the jewellery my ex husband gave me, with the exception of the earrings and necklace I wore on my wedding day. I'm since remarried but don't have such nice jewellery yet and still miss my D VS1 stones. Wish I'd thought to reset them instead.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow this is a stunning ring!!!! Just gorgeous!:love::love::love:

And I second Madelise's comments about athenaworth's gorgeous "divorce" ring. It is a stunning art deco style ring. I started a thread a while back with repurposed engagement rings but it was deleted unfortunately. I thought it would have been a wonderful empowering thread but I think because I included a vendor's ring it was sadly against forum rules.

I am glad you started this thread with your gorgeous ring. PERFECTION.:love::love::love:

lafolk

Rough_Rock
Stunning. I admire that you were able to turn a negative (divorce) into beautiful reminder of your son (ring). Bravo on the unique setting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a beautiful ring! I'm glad you put your stone to good use...it deserves to be seen and I love the symbolism behind it.

I have an engagement ring from my first marriage. Its not a pretty stone though. I will give it to my son when the time is right...I just
dont want him to give it to his future wife because its just not a pretty stone...it would make a decent pendant I guess.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what I love more--the idea of a divorce ring or your ring! Your ring is gorgeous and your idea is brilliant!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the most beautiful ring, and I love the symbolism!!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes! I'm inspired by what you did and it is a gorgeous ring! Thank you for posting and showing that life with bling can be repurposed and be meaningful!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your situation, but the ring is gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results