shape
carat
color
clarity

Divisive Tiffany Ad - Thoughts?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really get the issue. You disagree with one of the many thing she stands/advocates for and want to make a fuss about it? Ok...

And yes to the PP who mentioned all the folks "boycotting" tiffany who probably have never even purchased a piece or would have. We have a few restaurants in my area that are being super strict with covid safety, and they have gotten death threats and constant posts about "boycotting" the restaurant - many of them dont even live in the area and have probably NEVER been! Its just absurd.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the ad is divisive, it's marketing. Do I think she's divisive? Yes. But plenty of people are these days. Meh.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I don't really get the issue. You disagree with one of the many thing she stands/advocates for and want to make a fuss about it? Ok...

Not a fuss just a discussion about a jewelry ad on a jewelry forum.

That said, I’m also not a fan of purple hair and tattoos in a Tiffany ad. I’m older so take that with a grain of salt.

I wonder how Jean Schlumberger would view the 2020 version of Tiffany & Co. And Charles and Louis Comfort Tiffany. :think:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see it as divisive, but more as a shift in their focus. If someone likes T&Co, then they'll still buy it, even if they don't care for the spokesperson or ad. Tiffany used to be considered luxurious and maybe a little less attainable for the average consumer. I think most people feel Tiffany has "cheapened" itself and hasn't been close to any of the other luxury houses in a very long time. Maybe they've accepted that and are striving to appeal more to the masses. Smart business move, IMO.

+1

FWIW I see the same risk taking with the image of another old high-end brand, Martin.
Since 1833 they've made what is widely considered the best acoustic guitars.
Today their standard series guitars carry MSRPs of $3,150 to $12,600; fancier models reach up to $150,000.

Clearly everyone could not afford one.
That's changed with the current owner, 6th generation Chris Martin.
Chris has expanded into less-expensive models, as low as $500, using cheaper materials and cheaper non-USA labor.
This caused great howling and gnashing of teeth by high-falutin old fogie Martin owners on the guitar forums.
They claimed it cheapened the traditional Martin panache.

But then Chris Martin took it a controversial step further.
He marketed guitars with artwork that said something.
OMG! you should have seen the outrage by the Martin snobs.
Here are some of the whackier examples.

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 3.00.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 3.01.52 PM.png

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know. I accept the fact that this ad is not targeted at me, or people of my generation. Therefore, it neither hit nor missed the target with me. I appreciate old Tiffany designs because I love vintage, classic and traditional. I am not the target demographic, it doesn't really matter what I think about the ad or the spokesperson/model. I actually think good on them for trying to keep up with trends and make statements through ads that may be challenging for some.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
+1

FWIW I see the same risk taking with the image of another old high-end brand, Martin.
Since 1833 they've made what is widely considered the best acoustic guitars.
Today their standard series guitars carry MSRPs of $3,150 to $12,600; fancier models reach up to $150,000.

Clearly everyone could not afford one.
That's changed with the current owner, 6th generation Chris Martin.
Chris has expanded into less-expensive models, as low as $500, using cheaper materials and cheaper non-USA labor.
This caused great howling and gnashing of teeth by high-falutin old fogie Martin owners on the guitar forums.
They claimed it cheapened the traditional Martin panache.

But then Chris Martin took it a controversial step further.
He marketed guitars with artwork that said something.
OMG! you should have seen the outrage by the Martin snobs.
Here are some of the whackier examples.

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 3.00.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 3.01.52 PM.png

So according to @kenny if you reject an otherwise beautiful stone because a cut angle is off by 1% you are a “diamond connoisseur”.

But if you reject a jewelry style because it is a step down in design you are a “high-falutin old fogie snob”.

:lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. :mrgreen:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We could do so much better for the earth if we allowed our dead to become organic matter and feed the soil and the trees and plant life which would greatly improve the environment.

And thus, achieve eternal life albeit not in the way some of them may have hoped.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I alluded to some of this, but here are my opinions FWIW:

I agree with Megan R. and/or Tiffany’s on these issues:
Support LGBTQIA+ equality and ads
Support racial equality and ads
Support equal pay for women

I disagree with Megan R. on this issue:
Defunding the police

I like Megan R. for speaking her mind.

I dislike Megan for being rude to some of her fans, especially kids.

I like Tiffany’s for:
Their older jewelry lines
Their better-than-average record on human rights
Their better-than-average environmental record

I dislike Tiffany’s for:
Their newer jewelry lines

If I don’t get a time out for posting this, I probably will if I discuss it further. ;))

Obviously it really bothers you but not the rest of us. That’s ok.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Obviously it really bothers you but not the rest of us. That’s ok.

No, what really bothers me is the future of my country, the United States.

PS is a pleasant distraction from current events while I’m cooped up inside. It’s also a place to share things and discuss/debate topics with nice, intelligent people from the U.S. and other parts of the world. So thanks. :)

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm old. It used to be that other people's lives were no one else's business, except where it might effect yours. I want diversity of all things in my life but privacy (in my old fashioned view) is a gift we give each other. I don't care what other people do or who they are - it's none of my business unless they invite me in at a personal level. More power to anyone living their best life.

So ads featuring people I don't know, I don't care either way. I look at the visuals. The jewelry in this ad didn't inspire my attention and I love jewelry.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i think this image is a departure from tiffany & co previous marketing aesthetic. in the past it was more traditional with clear male and female imagery. wether it is a woman featured, usually classically made up with smooth straight or slightly waved hair and traditionally luxury conservative attire. or a male and female coupled depicting a man with a tiffany ring box behind his back...that sort of conventionalism

this is more of an avant-garde lean, featuring a lesbian sportswoman activist.

tiffany co. is hurting and has been hurting. it's tough business out there. the deal with lvmh fell through. they have got to groom and market to a larger purchasing public, in hopes of expanding their client base. they need to do so just survive

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Throwback ad from 1936 for comparison.
When it was all about the jewelry:

1603291292927.jpeg

I love the ad mostly because I adore vintage pieces, but I do wonder if it has ever been just about the jewellery? With a brand like Tiffany, they need to sell something else along with the jewellery, whether it’s a feeling of luxury or prestige, or quality or whatever, otherwise why pay for Tiffany? Why not go to your local jeweller instead who can produce quality for you without the price tag that comes with the Tiffany brand?

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know who she is but she has an edgy look. I can appreciate her edgy look even though it isn’t a look that I present to the world myself. I think the rings look like they are of reasonable quality which is more than you can say fo a lot of similarly styled jewellery. I don’t have any kind of issue with this. I mean it’s fashion. Not the first time women have shaved parts of their hair off or gone and gotten tattoos.

Tiffany are doing this because they need to survive and are looking to market to the LGBTQIA+ communities as there aren’t a lot of jewellers marketing to them. If it is causing controversy then all the better. That is a bigger mark of success for the marketing team because more people are seeing the ads and talking about them. I am sure they have done thorough and detailed market research.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course something can be both classy and inclusive of different sexual orientations. It can also be boring, unoriginal, and easy to pass over. Other than 2 men, that ad is super boring. I wouldn't give it a 2nd glance.

Different ads are meant for different target audiences. Pick up 5 completely different magazines at your book store and you'll get 5 different Tiffany ads in them, targeting different audiences and demographics. Inclusive isn't just slapping a perfectly turned out gay couple on the ad. Inclusive is different body shapes, hair colours, races, abilities, ages; the list goes on. The Tiffany ad above, White - check! Well dressed - check! Mid-30's - check! Boring as hell - check! If Tiffany has acknowledged this internally and done something to target their market then that's great! They stand a chance of surviving. It's adapt or die.

According to Statista (don't know who that is so take this with a tablespoon of salt) 33.2% of Instagram users are 25-34, followed by 22.9% in the 18-24 range. If that's true, Instragam users are millenials and younger who are more likely to be the people who dye their hair purple and less likely to be the blazer and button up shirt wearers who sit in front of a NYC brownstone.

Last edited:
Of course something can be both classy and inclusive of different sexual orientations. It can also be boring, unoriginal, and easy to pass over. Other than 2 men, that ad is super boring. I wouldn't give it a 2nd glance.

Different ads are meant for different target audiences. Pick up 5 completely different magazines at your book store and you'll get 5 different Tiffany ads in them, targeting different audiences and demographics. Inclusive isn't just slapping a perfectly turned out gay couple on the ad. Inclusive is different body shapes, hair colours, races, abilities, ages; the list goes on. The Tiffany ad above, White - check! Well dressed - check! Mid-30's - check! Boring as hell - check! If Tiffany has acknowledged this internally and done something to target their market then that's great! They stand a chance of surviving. It's adapt or die.

According to Statista (don't know who that is so take this with a tablespoon of salt) 33.2% of Instagram users are 25-34, followed by 22.9% in the 18-24 range. If that's true, Instragam users are millenials and younger who are more likely to be the people who dye their hair purple and less likely to be the blazer and button up shirt wearers who sit in front of a NYC brownstone.

Unrelated, but Statista is a highly reputable statistics source - they get their data from think tanks, government sources etc. About 30% of my thesis was written off the back of Statista tables and dossiers.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unrelated, but Statista is a highly reputable statistics source - they get their data from think tanks, government sources etc. About 30% of my thesis was written off the back of Statista tables and dossiers.

That's great, thank you!

I just did a quick google search to see what the demographics of instagram users was. I didn't want my post to be full of guesses about the average age range and target audience.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

Exactly. To me it looks like they’re just getting with the times. DH and I are mid 30’s engineers and many of our coworkers and friends (even in finance and law) have tattoos. It’s almost the norm now.

It’s totally a matter of appealing to demographics. The average Instagram user will identify with this ad more than one featuring a clean cut person sitting on the steps of a multi million dollar property.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand why you think it is divisive. This woman is a soccer GOD, she is phenom. I read it as a way to view jewelry in a more modern way, not just the old MRB in a tiffany setting. Watch this woman play soccer.. she is awesome. I guess now that I think of it, I'd be more inclined to buy Tiffany after seeing her advert.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I don't understand why you think it is divisive. This woman is a soccer GOD, she is phenom. I read it as a way to view jewelry in a more modern way, not just the old MRB in a tiffany setting. Watch this woman play soccer.. she is awesome. I guess now that I think of it, I'd be more inclined to buy Tiffany after seeing her advert.

Haha, I applaud them, but I am still too stingy to pay their markups/margins... :twisted:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results