carat
color
clarity

Divisive Tiffany Ad - Thoughts?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about celebrities.
But I never said “good to the environment”. Just not quite as harmful as some other jewelry companies. Huge difference.

I'm not directing my comments at you.
Honestly, I don't even remember who posted whatev (s)he said about Toofunny and the environment.
It doesn't matter.
I'm addressing any version of Tiffany (or any retail jeweler or customer) claiming to be in any way good to/for the environment.

My point remains.
When it comes to harming the environment, jewelry is a naughty naughty industry.

I'm not putting you down, or splitting hairs over semantics.
I don't care how exactly something was phrased.

Besides, I'm guilty as sin and going to hell, because I've bought lots of diamonds.
But hey, at least I didn't have kids - the worst thing anyone could do to the environment.

654.png

Last edited:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don’t see it as divisive.

Look at the comments for anything that isn’t 100% “traditional” and you’ll see loads of irrational hate.

Tiffany is clearly trying to appeal to a broader market and that’s probably a smart thing. Their silver line isn’t popular anymore and traditional engagement rings are becoming less important to the younger generation.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will always be on the side of diversity and inclusiveness. I see this ad as a positive move in the right direction. Those who dismiss this as divisive are only seeing this from their (narrow) point of view IMO. Some might feel that just because something doesn’t exist for them, it doesn’t exist at all. Untrue.

Comfortable conversations will never produce change. Humanity needs to be prioritized over all else IMO. We must always strive towards building an inclusive culture. Conflict is change starting to happen. In order to make change happen we have to embrace conflict. Not avoid it.

So if one views this as divisive so be it. IMO this is what needs to be happening to move toward a healthier and more equitable future for all.

Kudos to Tiffany.

Sustainability_DiversityANDInclusion_Tile8_Desktop.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not directing my comments at you.
Honestly, I don't even remember who posted whatev (s)he said about Toofunny and the environment.
It doesn't matter.
I'm addressing any version of Tiffany (or any retail jeweler or customer) claiming to be in any way good to/for the environment.

My point remains.
When it comes to harming the environment, jewelry is a naughty naughty industry.

I'm not putting you down, or splitting hairs over semantics.
I don't care how exactly something was phrased.

Besides, I'm guilty as sin and going to hell, because I've bought lots of diamonds.
But hey, at least I didn't have kids - the worst thing anyone could do to the environment.

654.png

Well that's the most depressing thing ive seen on the internet today
if people really cared about the enviroment they wouldn't breed

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And if I may add another PSA. Please people, spay and neuter your animals. PLEASE.

spayandneuter.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you think the earth can accommodate an infinite number of people?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t see it as divisive.

Look at the comments for anything that isn’t 100% “traditional” and you’ll see loads of irrational hate.

Tiffany is clearly trying to appeal to a broader market and that’s probably a smart thing. Their silver line isn’t popular anymore and traditional engagement rings are becoming less important to the younger generation.

Exactly—all of this. It’s been at least 20 years since I felt like Tiffany silver was popular and I rarely see it on anyone these days. Tiffany hired Reed Krakoff a couple years back to rebrand the company to target millennials. This is just marketing 101–any company that wants to stay relevant (especially one that’s relied on a damn COLOR forever and a day) has to evolve with the times and appeal to the market mostly likely to spend its disposable income for the longest period of time on their products. It’s why tobacco companies used to(?) use the “get ‘em hooked when they’re young” tactic. Soooo...divisive? I mean, to whom? A smaller segment of the market whose “traditional” tastes are outdated? Tiffany doesn’t care what anyone likes unless they make up a significant, long term target demographic.

To say they’re taking a “wrong turn” or people commenting to say they’re unfollowing seems like willfully ignoring normal business practices and clinging to a past that no longer exists no matter how hard people keep trying to drag us back into a time when “nasty women” were shunned from society and were allowed no space in the public eye lest they offend “normal” people’s sensibilities.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think the earth can accommodate an infinite number of people?

I thought Daisy was agreeing with you.
Does anyone think earth can accommodate an infinite population of humans? Nah, I think we all know better than that. What I have more of a problem with than new lives being brought in is the way many cultures pump a bunch of chemicals into a corpse and bury it a non biodegradable box. We could do so much better for the earth if we allowed our dead to become organic matter and feed the soil and the trees and plant life which would greatly improve the environment.

I don’t see the ad as divisive at all. I don’t know the woman pictured, but reading up about her just seems that she is quite an ally for the LGBTQA+ community / racial equality etc. She seems pretty cool.

Some people will always hate on anything that demonstrates even a sliver of progress, and as a society it makes me sad to see how inclusiveness is hated and targeted by some. Off topic a bit but there was this jewelry brand in India that came under fire recently because they made this (honestly great) ad that showed a couple of two different religions celebrating each other’s traditions. That ad caused a bunch of intolerant bigots (a very vocal minority) to spread so much hate and anger that the brand was forced to pull the ad. Their stores were vandalised and their employees threatened/attacked. All because they dared to allude to communal harmony in a country that prides itself on its secularism in its very constitution.... I don’t consider that a divisive ad either, just a bunch of hateful bigots stirring up controversy because they’re so full of hate they can’t bear to see people coexist in happiness and harmony.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I thought Daisy was agreeing with you.
Does anyone think earth can accommodate an infinite population of humans? Nah, I think we all know better than that. What I have more of a problem with than new lives being brought in is the way many cultures pump a bunch of chemicals into a corpse and bury it a non biodegradable box. We could do so much better for the earth if we allowed our dead to become organic matter and feed the soil and the trees and plant life which would greatly improve the environment.

I know this is so off topic, but DH wants to become nutrients for a tree and sometimes I tease him and say I’m going to have him embalmed, cremated, and then scatter the ashes in a protected waterway.

He knows I’ll do the tree thing.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't see the ad as divisive. I'm not even sure why it would be considered that. From my daughter in media, if you don't "get" an ad, it's not for your demographic. My only minor concern was "does this person even like jewelry, do they even wear it beyond this ad", because I'm naturally curious. I'm thrilled to learn that this woman does appreciate jewelry.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Once again:

:wall::wall::wall:

Done.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry if I don't get the nuances here. I live in another country and I answered my gut reaction without googling the person in the ad, which I wouldn't bother to do anyway. I would look at the jewelry, and go on with my day. None of this affects me.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
A divisive issue (which is so divisive that we CANNOT discuss it on PS, hint, hint) that Megan Rapinoe has taken sides on:

So um Tiffany may be targeting who they view to be a potential future customer base.

This add seems geared towards millennials with disposable income...

This issue isn’t nearly as divisive within that group as it seems to be on PS.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once again:

:wall::wall::wall:

Done.

i get what you're saying but i understand why others don't see it as divisive - basically anything on social media will get fervent comments pro and con, would it be seen as divisive if it was print media instead? iow, would people be so incensed or thrilled by the ad to send letters to magazines or talk about it on their own? i take everything on IG, FB, twitter, etc. with a grain of salt. even an innocuous comment can unleash a flame war....

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see it as divisive, but more as a shift in their focus. If someone likes T&Co, then they'll still buy it, even if they don't care for the spokesperson or ad. Tiffany used to be considered luxurious and maybe a little less attainable for the average consumer. I think most people feel Tiffany has "cheapened" itself and hasn't been close to any of the other luxury houses in a very long time. Maybe they've accepted that and are striving to appeal more to the masses. Smart business move, IMO.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t read anything but the original post and am I missing something? What is the issue?

To me, this is acknowledging that women buy jewelry for themselves: to me, from me.

I haven’t the faintest idea what is divisive about this ad.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The internet is a vehicle for incredibly petty outrage. Almost anything can start divisive comments. Cute kitty pic? NO, say the dog people. Cute pic of a baby? NO, that's an invasion of the baby's privacy. It's so ridiculous. But as someone mentioned earlier, the comments may not even be posted by real people.

Disclaimer- this is not meant to be a divisive post! :lol-2:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The internet is a vehicle for incredibly petty outrage. Almost anything can start divisive comments. Cute kitty pic? NO, say the dog people. Cute pic of a baby? NO, that's an invasion of the baby's privacy. It's so ridiculous. But as someone mentioned earlier, the comments may not even be posted by real people.

I'm sorry but that offends me. :)

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I kind of feel like this post was to tell us your opinion and not really so much about wanting others' thoughts on this, so might have been better off put that way?

I mean, basically what Gussie said - at this point in time, you could post pictures of kittens and puppies hugging under a sunset and get hate on social media.

P.S. I think Megan's pretty cool

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The internet provides a vehicle for incredibly petty PEOPLE to feign outrage. Almost anything can start divisive comments. Cute kitty pic? NO, say the dog people. Cute pic of a baby? NO, that's an invasion of the baby's privacy. It's so ridiculous. But as someone mentioned earlier, the comments may not even be posted by real people.

Fixed it for you. ;-) ...and I agree with you 100%.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of feel like this post was to tell us your opinion and not really so much about wanting others' thoughts on this, so might have been better off put that way?

I mean, basically what Gussie said - at this point in time, you could post pictures of kittens and puppies hugging under a sunset and get hate on social media.

P.S. I think Megan's pretty cool

Same.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock

I alluded to some of this, but here are my opinions FWIW:

I agree with Megan R. and/or Tiffany’s on these issues:
Support LGBTQIA+ equality and ads
Support racial equality and ads
Support equal pay for women

I disagree with Megan R. on this issue:
Defunding the police

I like Megan R. for speaking her mind.

I dislike Megan for being rude to some of her fans, especially kids.

I like Tiffany’s for:
Their older jewelry lines
Their better-than-average record on human rights
Their better-than-average environmental record

I dislike Tiffany’s for:
Their newer jewelry lines

If I don’t get a time out for posting this, I probably will if I discuss it further. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results