shape
carat
color
clarity

Distraught need Opinion Lab vs Mine grown studs for upgrade

Do I trade in my studs and get lab grown at larger size, keep my studs or trade in my studs and keep

• Keep your current studs as they are big enough and you've enjoyed them for 10 years

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • Trade in your studs + $$$ to get lab grown 3 carat studs and know for ever they are lab grown

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Trade in your studs for little money and keep saving thousands of dollars for earth mined studs

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
My heart is breaking. The reality is my 2.40 total carat weight EGL international stones have little resale value on TODAYs diamond market ( I have tried to sell privately for 2 years now)

I've been saving for 3.00 total carat studs and I was ready to pull the trigger. as I had a number in my mind my studs would be for trade in value

I sent my current studs to be evaluated for a trade in value and it seems that although the stones are good there is little resale value for 1.21 stones of this nature

The lab grown market has become so popular that it is hard to find buyers for 1.20 size stones

While I knew this was a possible the realty is sad.

So do I purchase Lab grown stones for my dream earrings (with no resale value down the road ) and keep my current studs

Do I sell my current studs for literally 5x less than I paid and add thousands to have my dream earth mined stones

or do I keep and continue to wear my studs and forget about it.

help a girl out .. I am so sad today

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
post all the specs for the stones that you have they may have more value with a gia report.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You don't purchase any sort of luxury item, diamonds included, to use for a time and get your costs back. Sometimes you can market diamonds and jewelry and recoup a good portion of the cost, but you are up against a problem with EGL documentation. That really works against you, sorry to say.

Surely, in time, there will be many items with man made diamond offered for possible sale as second hand pieces. Dealers might consider paying something for such items, but it never will be their current retail value. That's just not how a market functions. If lots of people agree to shop for man made diamonds, there will be many bargain hunters looking for lightly used items at discounts from full retail That is just how a free market function.

The less you spend, the less you can lose. If the money is an important issue, the less costly lab grown alternative is a great choice. If buying minded makes an emotional difference for you, then lab diamonds won't work for you.

The opinions of others may not fit your particular personality or financial position. It is a little like asking someone if their meal tastes good. They may love the taste and you might find you really don't like it at all. Their differing opinions of what you should do may confuse you just as much as help you.

1.20ct diamonds are a good size for earrings. If they seem a bit too small, maybe creating a halo for each that can be slid on or off the earring post will make them larger for fancy occasions and leave them small enough for daily wear.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
post all the specs for the stones that you have they may have more value with a gia report.

It was suggested that I send them to GIA however the source that inspected then is greatly respected and said that trade can't sell them that every stone that comes in has to be scanned to see if its lab or earth mined. That many are purchasing lab so this drives the price down for these studs. 786664 786663 786662

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That a 1.2ct of resonable quality has no value because of mmd is pure bs. Its the egl report and maybe the grading holding it back.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok the diamonds could get gia excellent cut ,the inclusions are a question it might get i1 from gia.
If your interested is selling them the first step is getting gia reports. The lowest cost ones are fine.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
You don't purchase any sort of luxury item, diamonds included, to use for a time and get your costs back. Sometimes you can market diamonds and jewelry and recoup a good portion of the cost, but you are up against a problem with EGL documentation. That really works against you, sorry to say.

Surely, in time, there will be many items with man made diamond offered for possible sale as second hand pieces. Dealers might consider paying something for such items, but it never will be their current retail value. That's just not how a market functions. If lots of people agree to shop for man made diamonds, there will be many bargain hunters looking for lightly used items at discounts from full retail That is just how a free market function.

The less you spend, the less you can lose. If the money is an important issue, the less costly lab grown alternative is a great choice. If buying minded makes an emotional difference for you, then lab diamonds won't work for you.

The opinions of others may not fit your particular personality or financial position. It is a little like asking someone if their meal tastes good. They may love the taste and you might find you really don't like it at all. Their differing opinions of what you should do may confuse you just as much as help you.

1.20ct diamonds are a good size for earrings. If they seem a bit too small, maybe creating a halo for each that can be slid on or off the earring post will make them larger for fancy occasions and leave them small enough for daily wear.

Thank you I realize all of the above. I already have fabulous jackets. I just sold half my 1960 Barbie collection for this upgrade . I should have found out the trade in value before doing so. I know myself I will not be able to live with lab grown studs. I didn't buy my 2.40 to sell them and they dealer I bought them from doesnt have upgrade policy . I am a woman of a certain age and just want 3.00 studs its a sentimental and my mom had 3.0 that my sister inherited and so I just gotta do what I gotta do .Thank you so much for your input.....

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a recut? It would cost money and you would lose weight. But with a recut, you could send to GIA and if you get 3x, you could probably sell for more than 5x less.

For example, if it cost you $10K to buy these, and now you could only sell for $3K, send to maybe BGD and have them recut. Cost you $1K to recut. Sell for $6K. You're still ahead of doing nothing by $2K. If it were me, and I knew I HAD to sell, this is what I would do to mitigate the loss. Good luck!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about a recut? It would cost money and you would lose weight. But with a recut, you could send to GIA and if you get 3x, you could probably sell for more than 5x less.

For example, if it cost you $10K to buy these, and now you could only sell for $3K, send to maybe BGD and have them recut. Cost you $1K to recut. Sell for $6K. You're still ahead of doing nothing by $2K. If it were me, and I knew I HAD to sell, this is what I would do to mitigate the loss. Good luck!

There is a very reasonable chance thet will get gia ex as they are.

I agree with Karl, it seems unbelievable that the existence of MMDs will mean that no one will buy a 1.2ct natural stone. That defies logic in my eyes.

Here is what I would do. I think the thing that is holding most buyers back is the lack of GIA report. So I would research the following -

- what is the cost of a GIA report? I looked it up and got $115 per stone or $230 for the pair. So now you know that if you were to get a GIA cert your investment in these studs will be whatever you paid + 230.

- figure out whether these stones actually would get GIA excellent or not. Perhaps run the parameters through the HCA tool which helps hazard a guess at possible GIA and AGS grades. If they wouldn’t get GIA excellent you’ll find them a lot harder to move.

- assume your studs are really H/I SI2 instead of F/G SI1 from a comps perspective and see what GIA graded stones with these parameters are selling for on loupetroop or other private selling / consignment services. Don’t just look at earring pairs for comps, look at individual stones as well. Your stones aren’t super well matched (different tables and crown/pavillion heights) so they lend themselves well to being split up. You can sell the settings themselves for scrap or keep them to perhaps set some moissys or coloured stones and make “travel studs” that go with your jackets

- from there you can calculate how much money you can reasonably hope to recoup. See if this beats the trade in value you’re being offered.

Don’t give up just yet!

Edit - just saw that Karl advised they would probably get GIA Ex as they are. That is fantastic news from a resale perspective!

2nd edit - not sure how accurate it is but I found a formula online to convert crown height / pavillion depth into degrees and I got T54/C34.8/P40.7 for one and T59/C34.3/P40.7 for the other.

Last edited:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Without knowing what you paid originally, I get the impression that you overpaid for the studs to begin with and that is giving you an unrealistic expectation for resale/trade in now. When you listed them on preloved your price was firm at a few thousand dollars above GIA certified comparable diamonds. On that thread people suggested looking for comps and pricing your studs about 30% below that to move them. I understand that is not something you want to do, but pricing them competitively and selling privately is going to help you recoup the most cost to put toward a new pair.

If you’re uncomfortable taking that much of a loss, you can always keep them as a backup pair, buy a larger CZ pair to wear in the interim, and keep saving for your true dream pair of 3ctw mined diamond studs (probably with a good upgrade policy, just in case).

I don’t think MMDs are stopping people from buying well-priced mined studs. Yours are a great size and they look fantastic on your ears.

Last edited:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Karl, it seems unbelievable that the existence of MMDs will mean that no one will buy a 1.2ct natural stone. That defies logic in my eyes.

Here is what I would do. I think the thing that is holding most buyers back is the lack of GIA report. So I would research the following -

- what is the cost of a GIA report? I looked it up and got $115 per stone or $230 for the pair. So now you know that if you were to get a GIA cert your investment in these studs will be whatever you paid + 230.

- figure out whether these stones actually would get GIA excellent or not. Perhaps run the parameters through the HCA tool which helps hazard a guess at possible GIA and AGS grades. If they wouldn’t get GIA excellent you’ll find them a lot harder to move.

- assume your studs are really H/I SI2 instead of F/G SI1 from a comps perspective and see what GIA graded stones with these parameters are selling for on loupetroop or other private selling / consignment services. Don’t just look at earring pairs for comps, look at individual stones as well. Your stones aren’t super well matched (different tables and crown/pavillion heights) so they lend themselves well to being split up. You can sell the settings themselves for scrap or keep them to perhaps set some moissys or coloured stones and make “travel studs” that go with your jackets

- from there you can calculate how much money you can reasonably hope to recoup. See if this beats the trade in value you’re being offered.

Don’t give up just yet!

Edit - just saw that Karl advised they would probably get GIA Ex as they are. That is fantastic news from a resale perspective!

Great Strategy.. I have always thought of them as J color si2 lol. They have been on loupetroop for over a year. and I did get an offer . I think Ill also go back to where I bought them and ask

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry that this is making you sad! I’ve no perfect answer for you but there’s lots of good advice here. I agree with @123ducklings, they look fab and really huge in your ears! I’m wondering why you want bigger?

I’m sorry that this is making you sad! I’ve no perfect answer for you but there’s lots of good advice here. I agree with @123ducklings, they look fab and really huge in your ears! I’m wondering why you want bigger?

Thank you.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would send them to GIA. I think you got a lot of advice that was good on the prior thread.

Unfortunately, with the certificates they have now and the price you wanted- which I get, really!- it was a disconnect. The idea that nobody wants that because of MMD is silly. It's probably the price and the certificate together. You may be better off splitting them up.

Or, get jackets for more size. 2.4 is nothing to sneeze at for studs.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will sell them for more $ selling them preloved to a private party than what a jeweler would pay for them (though, they would turn around and sell them for more than you are probably selling them for).

Post them in the Preloved section with the link to your Loupe Troop listing. If they’re in Preloved already, “bump” your post by adding something (more pics) to your post (so it goes to the top).

Then, while you’re waiting for a buyer, keep wearing them while you save for what you really really want. Remember that each stone now is 1.2X ct, and 3 carat earrings are 1.5 each, so not super, super, lot of difference (less than half a mm).

Try out some 3 ctw CZ studs to make sure its enough of a size upgrade that you wouldn’t be back here in another year or so. I have 1.27 and 1.94 ctw and for some reason, I pretty much wear the 1.27 pair more often. Though, I am working from home and none of my friends are really into bling (ikr?!)

EB7CA3DC-BDAC-4C9D-AC35-3CA95C2FED8F.jpeg

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I personally would reach out to Grace for consignment. I think I read she requires GIA certs but she can tell you to get them or maybe help you get them. Idk best to ask her.

I also had tried to sell a diamond privately for a few years with nothing but lowball offers and Grace was able to get me the full amount I paid (after her fee).

You may inquire and find out it’s not the right avenue for you/ she won’t take them but it cost you nothing to ask her and at least you’ll know.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
You will sell them for more $ selling them preloved to a private party than what a jeweler would pay for them (though, they would turn around and sell them for more than you are probably selling them for).

Post them in the Preloved section with the link to your Loupe Troop listing. If they’re in Preloved already, “bump” your post by adding something (more pics) to your post (so it goes to the top).

Then, while you’re waiting for a buyer, keep wearing them while you save for what you really really want. Remember that each stone now is 1.2X ct, and 3 carat earrings are 1.5 each, so not super, super, lot of difference (less than half a mm).

Try out some 3 ctw CZ studs to make sure its enough of a size upgrade that you wouldn’t be back here in another year or so. I have 1.27 and 1.94 ctw and for some reason, I pretty much wear the 1.27 pair more often. Though, I am working from home and none of my friends are really into bling (ikr?!)

EB7CA3DC-BDAC-4C9D-AC35-3CA95C2FED8F.jpeg

Thank you very much. They have been listed in 3 different forums in including loupe troupe for sale for over 1 year. I have tried on dozen of 3 carat pairs for years (every time I pass a jewelry store, ) because I want to be sure that the size is perfect for me. I have been wearing 3 carat cz since I sent my studs to be evaluated. I have also spent endless hours googling photos as seen above as well as going through every stud posting here on price scope for the past 8 years. I check all the diamond sites good on gold, james allen, white flash etc . daily hoping to find 2 matched stones 1.56 each in g/i color eye-clean si1 every day. and I have gorgeous jackets as well.

My mother had 3.27 carat stud earrings that I borrowed for my wedding and other occasions they were GIA certified VVS1 and VVS2 G and H color 3X stones. My sister inherited them. And while I am so fortunate to have inherited the ring in my profile. I have always wanted studs to emulate my mothers.

Granted I will never be able to afford the GIA quality stones she had, I had hoped I was ready now to get something similar..

I will need to save money and possibly have my current ones certified and keep waiting. Thank you for answering my query.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I personally would reach out to Grace for consignment. I think I read she requires GIA certs but she can tell you to get them or maybe help you get them. Idk best to ask her.

I also had tried to sell a diamond privately for a few years with nothing but lowball offers and Grace was able to get me the full amount I paid (after her fee).

You may inquire and find out it’s not the right avenue for you/ she won’t take them but it cost you nothing to ask her and at least you’ll know.

great suggestion. thank you and I have a gia account I might send them in my earrings are in ny now.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2nd edit - not sure how accurate it is but I found a formula online to convert crown height / pavillion depth into degrees and I got T54/C34.8/P40.7 for one and T59/C34.3/P40.7 for the other.

Those are the same angles I calculated using the crown heights & pavilion depths. While the calculation is handy, it should be noted it's an approximation only.

Assuming actual angles are reasonably close, this is the HCA & estimated cut grade for the 1.21 G-SI1. My "calculator" is very elementary and just cross checks old AGS charts. I'm sure @Karl_K can kick out some fancy pants stuff way more advanced with his cool software.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.40.28 PM.png

The baseline data doesn't have a 34.8 crown, so I used 35 instead. Some adjustment of the axis needs to be taken into account, but it gives a reasonable estimate.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.32.31 PM.png

Here is the same stuff for the 1.20 F-SI1:

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.28.29 PM.png

Again, the nearest crown to 34.3 is 34.5 so some adjustment of the center axis is required but will give a reasonably accurate estimate.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.31.27 PM.png

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Those are the same angles I calculated using the crown heights & pavilion depths. While the calculation is handy, it should be noted it's an approximation only.

Assuming actual angles are reasonably close, this is the HCA & estimated cut grade for the 1.21 G-SI1. My "calculator" is very elementary and just cross checks old AGS charts. I'm sure @Karl_K can kick out some fancy pants stuff way more advanced with his cool software.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.40.28 PM.png

The baseline data doesn't have a 34.8 crown, so I used 35 instead. Some adjustment of the axis needs to be taken into account, but it gives a reasonable estimate.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.32.31 PM.png

Here is the same stuff for the 1.20 F-SI1:

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.28.29 PM.png

Again, the nearest crown to 34.3 is 34.5 so some adjustment of the center axis is required but will give a reasonably accurate estimate.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.31.27 PM.png

This is based on EGL international grading who even knows if they measured correctly. I’m so soured I’m not sure I even want to put them back in my ears. I thought I’d been wearing pretty studs. Now I find out they have less value than their lab grown counter part. And someone mentioned they aren’t even matched well. I really appreciate your calculating all this it was beyond cool thanks

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I'd be more surprised if it doesn't come back EX.

I hope so I expect the color will drop to J and clarity to Ii but I’d be okay if the cut was 3x

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is based on EGL international grading who even knows if they measured correctly. I’m so soured I’m not sure I even want to put them back in my ears. I thought I’d been wearing pretty studs. Now I find out they have less value than their lab grown counter part. And someone mentioned they aren’t even matched well. I really appreciate your calculating all this it was beyond cool thanks

Who was it told you they have less value than lab diamonds? I can’t believe that’s true! And if they do come back with a great cut grade, as seems likely, even less so. Don’t let it get you down, they look like gorgeous stones on you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is based on EGL international grading who even knows if they measured correctly.
They use scanners just like everyone else they just report the % with some rounding.
I took into account the possible rounding combinations when I said there was a high chance it will get gia ex.
I also to into account the polish or symetry may come back vg but that still puts it in gia ex cut which is the most important for value.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results