Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Mix metal

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my mother's ring.
The center and halo are diamonds, the side stones are emeralds.

She definitely wanted leaves in the profile

Any advice? I'm thinking the melee could be bigger. Are the angles right? Do I like the way the leaves are? I'm just thinking out loud. Any opinions would be welcome and considered.

Also please answer the poll. If ywu choose mixed metals. Please explain which areas would be which. She loves yellow gold. But she seems open to white.

34729-1.jpg

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Are the emeralds larger than the center diamond Niel? I love the leaves. Not sure where the white or gold metal should be, but def feel this is a dual metal ring. On a funny side note, and I have no clue why, but I'm getting an impression from this ring that your mom has Irish roots. ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElizabethR|1473949622|4076902 said:
Are the emeralds larger than the center diamond Niel? I love the leaves. Not sure where the white or gold metal should be, but def feel this is a dual metal ring. On a funny side note, and I have no clue why, but I'm getting an impression from this ring that your mom has Irish roots. ;-)

Well no actually lol.
My mom has an heirloom diamond she wanted to set, and she thought it would be nice to make a mother's ring, as her birthstone is diamond and my and my sisters is emerald

The emeralds are ever so slightly smaller

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell from the CAD images, but are all the leaves outlines of leaves, except for the center one that looks solid to me? If that is the case I'd suggest making the center one a hollow/leaf outline like the others.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we see a picture of your mom's hand with white gold and yellow gold against her skin? I think either metal would look beautiful with emeralds and diamonds, so this could help sway my vote!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I was going to have him hollow out that middle one.
My mom has worn both, she just prefers yellow

But she is also the one that said maybe this should be white.

Should I remove the airline and just keep the halo that large but with larger melee?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone voting mixed metals please explain which areas would be which.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel - I'm voting for a yellow gold ring with an inner white gold bezel around the center diamond. So - almost all one color, but with just a hint of white.

I think if you do yellow and white gold combo, the obvious thing to do is to do the emeralds and band in yellow and the center diamond and halo in white. This is the one combination I would specifically avoid, because white diamonds in white gold surrounded by green and yellow will make the ring look sort of 'empty' in the middle. The yellow gold and the emeralds will stand out and look 'solid', while the center will just sort of disappear into colorlessness.

I love emeralds in both yellow and white gold, so, as one suggestion, she could do the whole ring in one metal or the other. But if she really wanted 2 tone, I'd suggest a white gold bezel around the diamond (which will also beef it up a bit) then a yellow outer bezel and all the rest of the ring in yellow gold. This would be my favorite combination. Alternately, both emeralds and diamond could be inner bezeled in white, outer bezeled in yellow, and the halo, shank and head in yellow. Last suggestion would be leaves and emeralds in yellow and all the rest in white, and I think this would look really pretty, too. My only real limitation would be if all the outer detail/structure was in yellow and all the inner structure/detail was in white. As I said, I think that would give you an 'empty hole in the middle' effect.

But for my money, I'd go all yellow with a white inner bezel around the diamond to make the proportions more pleasing to the eye.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b|1473959548|4076959 said:
I'd suggest a white gold bezel around the diamond (which will also beef it up a bit) then a yellow outer bezel and all the rest of the ring in yellow gold.

I agree with mrs-b. I prefer emeralds in YG but do think the inner bezel in white metal will make the diamond pop a bit more.

As for the airline, personally I'm not a fan of them, so I would remove it and if you want that extra coverage, then yes, larger melee.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent suggestion by MrsB....white metal bezel (platinum) around center diamond and all the rest yg. Emeralds are so rich looking in yg, to me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes the obvious choice is metals in white emerald yellow. But that's in my mind beginning to be very busy. Green. Yellow, white. Three bezels two different colors and different stones. I don't know

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have the stones already?

If so, I would personally change the design to something like this since they are similar in size;

tiffany_circled.jpg

This gives you leaves right on either side of the ring. David can add some leaves or something in the profile. And it would be a lovely design for stones that are closer in size.

Or, if you don't have the stones already. I'd go up in size on the center stone and go down in size on the sidestones. The proportions of the side stones to the center don't work for me in this current design, personally.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1473975319|4077074 said:
Do you have the stones already?

If so, I would personally change the design to something like this since they are similar in size;

tiffany_circled.jpg

This gives you leaves right on either side of the ring. David can add some leaves or something in the profile. And it would be a lovely design for stones that are closer in size.

Or, if you don't have the stones already. I'd go up in size on the center stone and go down in size on the sidestones. The proportions of the side stones to the center don't work for me in this current design, personally.

I like the proportions thanks for your contribution

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Just a suggestion.

I would go for bigger melee in the halo. I like the shank and the profile a LOT.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also like the idea of YG with a WG bezel around center diamond.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Cool design! I would do all YG.

I suspect the center is going to look visually smaller since the colored stones will have more visual weight - another vote to lose the airline and beef up the halo with bigger melee.

I love the shank and leaves! Agree to hollow out that middle leaf, too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1473976440|4077084 said:
Okay. Just a suggestion.

I would go for bigger melee in the halo. I like the shank and the profile a LOT.

Sorry I didn't know why I took that crossly. I'm very attached to the stones. The center is my moms heirloom diamond from her grandmother. The emeralds are a gorgeous Kelly green. And I tell you, matching round ideally colored stones were deeply difficult to find.

I actually do quite like that ring you suggest Ill show ma. I worry if he'll be tired of me changing everything. I was first going to reset my sapphire from its 80s ballerina setting. But after buying my zircon I can't imagine a better halo, so I asked him to change the cads for these stones. Then im changing again

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1473976440|4077084 said:
Okay. Just a suggestion.

To your suggestion

picsart_09-15-09.jpg

picsart_09-15-08.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My issue with that is it doesn't feel as special

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For mixed metals you might consider the inner portion of the shank (the part that touches her finger) and all the gallery in white gold then the part of the shank that sticks out and leads up to the top of the setting in yellow. Make the whole top of the setting in yellow. This gives you your mixed metal but leaves the top of the setting in yellow which you said your mom tends to prefer.

I would definitely make the melee stones larger.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neil,

I think you should sleep on it. As for the vendor. They will go with the flow. Don't worry too much about them.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted mixed metal, but I would make it very subtle. I would contrast the leaves in the gallery from the rest of the ring. Since your Mom prefers yellow gold, I'd do the ring in yellow gold and the leaves in the gallery white gold. It would make them stand out in an elegant way. It's going to be beautiful whatever option you choose.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cards on the table everyone I really hate the idea of mixed metal. I can't think of any way that doesn't seem busy.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, fwiw I agree with you, it just seems busy when I try to picture it in my mind - I voted yg, after seeing the pics in this thread I just think that will complement the stones the best. This ring is going to be gorgeous.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1474035473|4077333 said:
Niel, fwiw I agree with you, it just seems busy when I try to picture it in my mind - I voted yg, after seeing the pics in this thread I just think that will complement the stones the best. This ring is going to be gorgeous.

yes the images i photosoped make me like yellow.

i wonder though, if i do yellow, if the emeralds will look larger than the diamond. if i did all white, it wouldnt be an issue

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1474036903|4077338 said:
yes the images i photosoped make me like yellow.

i wonder though, if i do yellow, if the emeralds will look larger than the diamond. if i did all white, it wouldnt be an issue

I really like the yellow as well. Not sure if the emeralds will look larger though. For what it's worth, DK is making this ring for me right now and I posted his first CADs in this thread.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-from-cad-experts-please.225390/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-from-cad-experts-please.225390/[/URL]

so it might not be a big deal for him to change yours up as he has this basic design in the works already. I did have him change mine a bit but again, it might not be a big deal for him to start with the same basic CADs and make any changes you want.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe just the bezel around the diamond could be in white gold to give it a little more oomph?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1474043266|4077380 said:
Maybe just the bezel around the diamond could be in white gold to give it a little more oomph?

I do get that suggestion I just don't think id like how it looks.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Emerald and yellow gold are magnificent together.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel, I agree with you. You already have pave and bezels and two colors on the stones. Adding two tone to that isn't a look I would like either.

If you DID do two tone, you could just to the shank in a different color.

What color is the diamond? Do you know?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results