shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed by workmanship..I want to cry!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I waited six weeks for my 18mm RH rose quartz to be set into a necklace/pendant. Today I got the finished piece in the mail, and was fairly disappointed. There is no base in the back of the pendant, so the stone is not elevated and the sharp cutlet is literally cutting into my skin. It is not wearable! Not mention the bezel is not smooth... ;( I admit I might have been spoiled by James Meyer's perfect workmanship. But this one is still so disappointing.

I am just venting.. Many PSers know this jeweler. I won't say the name at the moment, as I plan to discuss the problems with her in private first.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Cookie ~

I am so sorry that the workmanship on your pendant is shoddy! I completely understand what it is like to trust an artist, or any professional really, and have that trust blown right out of the water.

I hope you can get the issues resolved. There is certainly no excuse to have a gem cutting into your skin! :angryfire: Bezel work is obviously something that needs to be precise as well.

Please keep us posted. I sincerely hope you are able to send it back and have it done right without any hassle. Argh.

~ faegrace

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
Faegrance covered it all for me.

I'm still in awe that a jewelry artist wouldn't realize that they screwed up that bad. Seems like they would have actually tried it on maybe to be sure about the basics, like cutting into someone's skin? I'm sure they'll make it right with you though. Positive thoughts your way :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I hope she fixes it for you! What a disappointing experience, when you're pumped to get it & you trust the maker. Hang in & believe -- it will work out!!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
So I emailed the jeweler to point out all the problems in the necklace, and told her I hope she could fix them.
In her response, she apologized, and asked me to mail the necklace back to her for a full refund. She will return the stone to me.

It is a little strange that she won't even try fixing it.. maybe it is not fixable or not cost effective to fix it.
Anyway, once I get the refund, I will be back to square one. :(sad I need to find a jeweler who is comparable to James Meyer but accepts customer's stone.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Cookie, that is very strange indeed. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I do hope that you share the name of the jeweler. In light of the recent JKT threads I think most people (okay, maybe just me) will assume...

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Kunzite|1308147290|2946536 said:
Cookie, that is very strange indeed. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I do hope that you share the name of the jeweler. In light of the recent JKT threads I think most people (okay, maybe just me) will assume...

I should have specified in my original post that this jeweler is not Julia. It is Ann McKay. :blackeye:

It is possible that one of her apprentices made this piece, but I don't know for sure.
Still, she should not have allowed this piece to leave her shop in the first place. She did check the piece, because in her email to me (before shipping it to me), she said, "I think it turned out well."

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Cookie ~

I am still so sorry for your experience. :(sad I hope you are able to find someone whose artistry matches your vision. I hope that for all of us actually, as I am experiencing my own struggles making my CS jewelry vision come to life.

Please let us know how things unfold.

~ faegrace

pixies

Shiny_Rock
There is no excuse for sloppy bezel work... but I will say it is common to have exposed culets in pendants. BGD has several bezel pendants like this. They don't seem unfinished -- it just seems to be the style/look they were going for. With a .50ct stone I'm sure this wouldn't cause any/much discomfort, but I can imagine with a stone this size it would be uncomfortable. Did you discuss/ask how the pendant would lay with her? Did she provide sketches?

It's unfortunate that she doesn't seem interested in altering the piece. Hopefully in the future you can find a designer that is the perfect fit for you! I think communication is key in custom projects and (unfortunately) not all designers are equipped for that (a more collaborative, informed venture). This would help avoid unfortunate surprises like this one.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
pixies|1308177156|2946959 said:
There is no excuse for sloppy bezel work... but I will say it is common to have exposed culets in pendants. BGD has several bezel pendants like this. They don't seem unfinished -- it just seems to be the style/look they were going for. With a .50ct stone I'm sure this wouldn't cause any/much discomfort, but I can imagine with a stone this size it would be uncomfortable. Did you discuss/ask how the pendant would lay with her? Did she provide sketches?

It's unfortunate that she doesn't seem interested in altering the piece. Hopefully in the future you can find a designer that is the perfect fit for you! I think communication is key in custom projects and (unfortunately) not all designers are equipped for that (a more collaborative, informed venture). This would help avoid unfortunate surprises like this one.

I have seen those BGD bezel pendants that have the culet exposed. They look beautiful. Mine looks pretty too; it is just not wearable, because my stone weighs 19 cts, and has a depth of 12.6 mm...

She provided a sketch for every detail in the necklace except the back. I emailed her that I would want an open gallery in the back, so the pavilion can be seen from the side. I also sent her a few pictures to illustrate the kind of open gallery I like. She promised me she would expose the stone in the back. I never suspected there would be no back! Also, some details that are in the sketch, e.g. milgrain, engraving, are missing in the finished product, but that's not as important.

Before this project, I had a few custom projects done with other jewelers without any issue. I guess some jewelers are just better at understanding and fulfilling the customer's wishes. Next time I will ask for a drawing of every bit of detail just to be sure . 8)

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Cookie|1308186335|2947092 said:
pixies|1308177156|2946959 said:

I have seen those BGD bezel pendants that have the culet exposed. They look beautiful. Mine looks pretty too; it is just not wearable, because my stone weighs 19 cts, and has a depth of 12.6 mm...

She provided a sketch for every detail in the necklace except the back. I emailed her that I would want an open gallery in the back, so the pavilion can be seen from the side. I also sent her a few pictures to illustrate the kind of open gallery I like. She promised me she would expose the stone in the back. I never suspected there would be no back! Also, some details that are in the sketch, e.g. milgrain, engraving, are missing in the finished product, but that's not as important.

Before this project, I had a few custom projects done with other jewelers without any issue. I guess some jewelers are just better at understanding and fulfilling the customer's wishes. Next time I will ask for a drawing of every bit of detail just to be sure . 8)
I'd be pretty upset about things that were present in the sketch not making it into the design.

I would *hope* that a designer would take comfort/wear-ability into mind when designing and fabricating around a large stone but sadly that's not always the case.

I'm really happy that you are getting your money back. I've plunked money down on a custom project, had it not turn out well (craftsmanship-wise), and had the designer wash their hands of it :o . Whomp whomp whomp.

I'm really sad JM will not work with outside stones. As soon as I was ready to get a ring made, he stopped accepting them. I was really bummed. He had found a diamond but it was out of budget so I passed on it. He made a ring with it, had the stock-clearing sale, and the ring was within my budget. I was sooooooooo bummed out, as I had just completed my project elsewhere. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Maybe you'll end up finding another amazing designer and share them with us! I quite like Caleb's designs as well but I don't think he works with customer's stones either, does he?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I feel badly, because I had found AM site and had bookmarked it.
I had saved some of my favorite designs of hers to my "Ideas" file.
I had never contacted this jeweler, or seen any examples of her
work here on PS I don't think, but
when I saw your original thread, I naturally thought this might be
a jeweler you might be interested in, so I posted her as an idea...

Now, I feel sorry for doing so.
I guess I should quit putting out ideas, if I don't have any
real-life experience to back it up.

Hopefully you will get your rose quartz set by a jeweler
who has your vision and will do a great job,
and you will be so happy....
I wish this didn't happen.

As I remember, your Rose Quartz is a lovely stone :))

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
ooo~Shiney!|1308192924|2947204 said:
Well, I feel badly, because I had found AM site and had bookmarked it.
I had saved some of my favorite designs of hers to my "Ideas" file.
I had never contacted this jeweler, or seen any examples of her
work here on PS I don't think, but
when I saw your original thread, I naturally thought this might be
a jeweler you might be interested in, so I posted her as an idea...

Now, I feel sorry for doing so.
I guess I should quit putting out ideas, if I don't have any
real-life experience to back it up.

Shiney, please don't feel bad. I visited her site several times before, and actually thought about getting a ring from her last year (but ended up getting a purple tourmaline ring from JM instead). So even if you hadn't mentioned her name, I would probably contact her anyway.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
pixies|1308191720|2947183 said:
I'm really happy that you are getting your money back. I've plunked money down on a custom project, had it not turn out well (craftsmanship-wise), and had the designer wash their hands of it . Whomp whomp whomp.

I am really sorry to hear that you were unable to get your hard-earned money back.

pixies|1308191720|2947183 said:
I quite like Caleb's designs as well but I don't think he works with customer's stones either, does he?

I read somewhere (on PS) that Caleb doesn't accept customer's stones.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, Cookie, that's nice of you to say. :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think it could be more wearable if you wore it on a longer chain, where the cutlet is not pressing into your neck, but instead, your shirt?

Sorry about the disappointment. Do you have a photo, so we can at least see it, and make determinations on how/who can fix it best?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about your problems - it seems like she made an incorrect presumption and thus stepped up to the plate with a refund. My guess is that they will have to remake the pendant in order to have it fit your design vision, thus, she choose the refund route instead.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1308223417|2947354 said:
Do you think it could be more wearable if you wore it on a longer chain, where the cutlet is not pressing into your neck, but instead, your shirt?

Sorry about the disappointment. Do you have a photo, so we can at least see it, and make determinations on how/who can fix it best?

The chain is 18'' with a jump ring at 17''. It is long enough for me to wear it on top of a shirt. But I don't like that look.

Here are some photos:

3_cutlet_a.jpg
3_cutlet_b.jpg
5_bezel_a.jpg
5_bezel_b.jpg
5_bezel_e.jpg

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1308227850|2947379 said:
Sorry to hear about your problems - it seems like she made an incorrect presumption and thus stepped up to the plate with a refund. My guess is that they will have to remake the pendant in order to have it fit your design vision, thus, she choose the refund route instead.

Yes, basically they will need to re-do the platinum bezel, add a base, add milgrain, and add engraving.

Also, the pendant is attached to the chain (so technically it is a necklace), and the chain has one leaf on each side, each of which is supposedly 3/8'' from the pendant. But one leaf is further away from the pendant than the other. So they will need to adjust the chain length as well.

It seems a lot of work to make it right. If it were me, I probably would just issue a refund.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really beautiful though! :love:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1308233511|2947434 said:
It's really beautiful though! :love:

Yes, I loved the detailed sketch she sent me. That's why I decided to go with her.
I wish I could keep it, but would not want it to sit in the jewelry box all the time.

Maybe I am too picky? :confused:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all; in your shoes, I would have done the same. When one decides and selects a designer of that caliber and reputation, the expectations are certainly higher than a "regular" designer.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I came out of lurkdom to say how much I like the pendant. It is really unique. It is so unfortunate that it has these issues. I had Ann make me a ring setting earlier this year for the ruby that I got from Gene and it turned out wonderfully. The workmanship is excellent. So to those reading I would say not to be put off by Cookie's experience. It is so unfortunate for her but I love my ring. I don't know if Ann is only the designer or if she is the benchperson too. Perhaps my ring and Cookie's setting were not made by the same person?

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Cind11|1308239645|2947504 said:
I came out of lurkdom to say how much I like the pendant. It is really unique. It is so unfortunate that it has these issues. I had Ann make me a ring setting earlier this year for the ruby that I got from Gene and it turned out wonderfully. The workmanship is excellent. So to those reading I would say not to be put off by Cookie's experience. It is so unfortunate for her but I love my ring. I don't know if Ann is only the designer or if she is the benchperson too. Perhaps my ring and Cookie's setting were not made by the same person?

Cind11, I am so glad you love your ring! I certainly hope mine would be the only problematic piece ever.

According to the info card that came with the necklace, she has craftsmen working for her (in-house) on pieces from start to finish. So it is possible that your ring was made by a different person than mine.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the photos. It looks like a deadly weapon!! I have a huge rose quartz with a giant sharp cutlet like that, and it needs a basket, or I would be ready for the emergency room. This is not one of these teeny tiny diamonds by the yard necklaces with an open bezel backing. That really calls for a basket, and an experienced jeweler should know better IMHO.

Really sorry about ths project gone awry.

You know some people may have had good experiences with this jeweler, but I find consistency is everything, especially if you're spending a good deal of money on a custom piece.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Cookie, did you send it back yet?
I am just asking because I wish I could see a picture
of the necklace hanging straight - on....
With it lying on the box, it "looks" like a little alarm clock...
I am sure it doesn't look like that when it is hanging..
I REALLY feel sorry now, I think it is actually quite unique and beautiful
I wish it had all come together better....

But I REALLY wouldn't want to be stabbed by that ~
Can you imagine when DH hugs you :shock:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
ooo~Shiney!|1308266695|2947819 said:
Cookie, did you send it back yet?
I am just asking because I wish I could see a picture
of the necklace hanging straight - on....
With it lying on the box, it "looks" like a little alarm clock...
I am sure it doesn't look like that when it is hanging..
I REALLY feel sorry now, I think it is actually quite unique and beautiful
I wish it had all come together better....

But I REALLY wouldn't want to be stabbed by that ~
Can you imagine when DH hugs you :shock:

Now you mention it, it does look like an alarm clock. :bigsmile: I think that's is partly because the engraving is missing. Those leaves next to the diamond are supposed to be engraved, similar to JM's leaf motif. It is also supposed to have beads at the bottom of the bezel to balance out the look.

I didn't take a picture of it on me, and already sent it back, but you are lucky that I asked Ann for a picture before she shipped it to me. :)) The leaf link chain on the right side is twisted in the picture, so it doesn't appear longer than the left side.

necklace.jpg

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
How the hell is anyone supposed to wear that? You'd have to have a Kevlar vest.
She blew it big time with this piece. Hope things turn out OK in the end.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Such a bummer, it was a great design. I can't believe she left of the leaf engraving and the beads at the bottom. Those would have been great elements.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results