shape
carat
color
clarity

Disagreement with vendor over pricing - does this make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi all, I am currently ordering a shared-prong eternity band through a vendor, and for my ring size, I have received some quotes that are now not making sense to me.

For a 1.5 ct band made with 5 pointers, I was quoted $2050.

For a 1.8 ct band made with 9 pointers, I was quoted $2995.

That all makes sense, but then I decided that I wanted to go down to a smaller size.

For a 1.6 ct band made with 8 pointers, I was quoted $2995, the exact same price as a band 20 points larger.

The vendor is trying to convince me that there should not be a price difference between a 1.6 cttw band and 1.8 cttw band in the same finger size. I said that if that is the case, how come a 2.0 ct band costs more than a 1.8 ct band from that same vendor. That''s also a 20 point difference, isn''t it?

Am I missing something here? It seems that a lower carat weight band in the same metal, same stone quality, same finger size should cost a little less.

Any responses from professionals would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe the others are stock settings and can''t be resized, thus requiring a custom job?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I just spoke to the vendor again, and they said that they made a mistake with my ring size, so the tcw with the band will actually be closer to 1.75, instead of 1.6. They did bring the price down slightly to accomodate the small drop in size. I''m OK with it now, seeing as it''s only going down from 1.8 to 1.75. I''m glad I double-checked with them, though, or the order would have been totally wrong.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Good call, vespergirl.
1.gif

Btw that diamond in your avatar is just insane...
30.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
before you go ahead price out 10 pointers.
5 and 10 pointers are often times cheaper per ct than in between sizes as they are mass produced premium melee in those sizes cut on semi-automated production lines that brings the price per ct down.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 3:22:59 PM
Author: strmrdr
before you go ahead price out 10 pointers.
5 and 10 pointers are often times cheaper per ct than in between sizes as they are mass produced premium melee in those sizes cut on semi-automated production lines that brings the price per ct down.
That''s a good idea - unfortunately, after trying on rings with the different point sizes, I really love the 8 pointers - not too big, not too small. I didn''t like the 10 pointers as much on my hand. It''s OK - now that I spoke to the vendor & straightened it out, I''m OK with the pricing. The vendor did mention something like you said about certain sizes being less expensive, but these are still falling within my budget, so I''m just going to go with the size that I love.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results