shape
carat
color
clarity

Difficult decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jerbop

Rough_Rock

Hi all,

I am having difficulty finding out my girlfriend''s ring size (especially since she doesn''t own any other rings). Based on how my friend''s ring fit on her finger, I am guessing that she is roughly a size 5. I plan to purchase a Ritani Endless Love setting without the halo for the final e-ring. My jeweler is recommending that I have the diamond set in a plain solitaire setting for the initial proposal. What do you all think? Is it more meaningful to have the completed ring at the proposal? The other benefit of going with the solitaire setting is that it will give her an opportunity to either approve of my original choice (the Ritani) or choose something else that she loves. Opinions?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Definitely set it in the temporary setting and let her help out with the final ring. There have been some recent posts about women really not liking what her FH chose for her. The center stone is most important. I would let her do the rest.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2006 4:22:11 PM
Author:dmdseeker

My jeweler is recommending that I have the diamond set in a plain solitaire setting for the initial proposal.

Good advice...

I would not resize a delicate setting like the Ritani one more times than absolutely necessary - if zero times if feasible, all for the better.

Just IMO.

Btw. it doesn't sound like a hard decisison to me - many do that just for the sake of letting the girl choose her favorite ring.
2.gif

jerbop

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 5:00:41 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/27/2006 4:22:11 PM
Author:dmdseeker

My jeweler is recommending that I have the diamond set in a plain solitaire setting for the initial proposal.

Good advice...

I would not resize a delicate setting like the Ritani one more times than absolutely necessary - if zero times if feasible, all for the better.

Just IMO.

Btw. it doesn''t sound like a hard decisison to me - many do that just for the sake of letting the girl choose her favorite ring.
2.gif
The only reason I think this is a difficult decision is because I will definitely be losing a little bit of the sentimental factor. Its always nice to give her the ring that she will wear for years to come. Any other opinions? If I do opt to go with a temporary solitaire setting, do you have any suggestions for mountings that look nice, but are still inexpensive?

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
It is sooooo much nicer if she can have a say in the setting. I mean you may not have a clue what she likes. I think she will be happier by far that she can choose her own setting. Gee I picked out my own rock and setting and he just gave me the credit card. I loved it that way. After all it is I that have to wear it.

Honestly, I would have hurt my bf feelings as he was planing on getting me a totally diff shape and setting than I wanted. I woulda sold it on ebay hahahaha

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
go with the temp solitaire. just let her know that you wanted her to be able to pick out the perfect setting herself. as long as you spent time finding the best diamond for her, she will be pleased.
i would look for a nice die struck solitaire. sometimes the inexpensive peg-head solitaires can look cheesy.

best of luck!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
If you have no idea about her size, you probably don''t really have a good idea about a setting either so I would go temp setting. I understand the sentimental issues, my intended actually got upset with me when I consulted her, but you could always tell her that you guys can look at the setting *together* and make the decision, that might be a fun romantic way to do it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
go with a decent quality tifany setting which you can get in the $200 range and not some of the other chessy settings around.
She might even prefere it and choose to keep it.

For a lot of people that kind of setting == e-ring

Waited2Long

Shiny_Rock
I used plastic ring sizers and waited for my gf to fall asleep. It was like Goldilocks and the 3 bears. "Too big, too small, ah, just right." Except the freaking "too small" sizer got stuck and nearly ended my plans in a disaterous way. Don''t forget the change in size due to temperature.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
That is a fantastic idea. Then she can have some input into what she would like for the setting.

Blod
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results