shape
carat
color
clarity

Different Shapes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sammm

Rough_Rock
Just for general knowledge, which shapes (round, oval, heart, etc) are the most expensive, and why?

I was looking through some prices online and saw that round diamonds were the most expensive which surprised me because I thought specially cut diamonds would be more expensive. I always thought most diamonds are cut round so they would be less expensive. But that isn't the case, huh? Why is that?

Thanks
Sam

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of reasons:

a) Rounds are the most popular shape and thus the most in demand.

b) The round brilliant is about the least efficient cut in terms of preserving weight of the rough (~50%). That means the manufacturer usually ends up with a smaller diamond than if it was cut differently, and thus has to ask a higher price to make a profit.

Diamond rough comes in all sorts of different shapes, regular and otherwise. Many of the "fancy cuts" evolved as a means of using rough efficiently. The princess cut is among the most efficient (~80%) when you're cutting from a typical octahedron.

Diamond manufacturing is a very tricky business, and it's all about creating the most profitable finished diamond(s) from each piece of rough. Sometimes that's a round, sometimes it isn't.

Sammm

Rough_Rock
Hey we look like twins... ;-)

So is getting a round shape worth it? What are the benefits? I can get pear shape for hundreds less.

Sam

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
To me, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people think rounds are the most attractive, but if you like pears better, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

One thing to watch for, however, with pears and marquises, is the "bow-tie" effect, which is a dark area at the waist of the stone (it looks sort of like a bow tie). Stones with strong bow ties are less valuable and not as attractive.

Pears and marquises also need to be set carefully, as they can be more prone to chipping than rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results