shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between 18" and 20" strand?

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I have an 18" strand of Freshadama pearls from PP. I was thinking about possibly getting another strand, and was wondering how much difference there would be between that and a 20" strand. Does anyone have any pictures they can share? Thanks!

How does the 18 fit you? I think that if it fits around your neck snugly, then the 20 will be a huge difference, but if it sits lower, a 20 won't look that much different and a 22 might be more suitable?

Here is something on necklace lengths:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/pearlnecklace.html

It also really depends on pearl size too- are you doing the same size pearls?

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the reply and links Bean!

I am tall (6') and although I am not heavy I guess I have a bigger neck than some of the women in those pictures! My current pearl strand is 7.5 mm and falls about an inch below the hollow in my neck. I am considering a similar millimeter size, but want something I could wear with a sweater or a turtleneck and that falls a bit lower. In the pictures it looks like 20" might be long enough, but it is hard to tell. I ordered a metallic strand last year from PP in 18", but when I put them on I felt they looked too similar to my white strand. I was thinking of trying again with a longer metallic strand.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The 20" should hang 1" lower than your 18", provided they are laying the same around the back of your neck. If that won't extend far enough to keep from dropping into your neckline, I'd go with 22". Another thought would be to drop by your local mall and try on some cheap dyed strands and see how they fall. I think to go over a turtleneck, the strand will need to be quite a bit longer. The sweater material takes up a lot of the length. I have a continuous 29" strand (I strung it myself, thus the odd length) that I like to throw over my head when I am wearing winter sweaters.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks FlyGirl! That makes sense to me. 1" lower is not going to be enough additional length. I should probably just go try some on! Perhaps I will wait until after the Christmas craziness, and see if I can get something for my birthday in January. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results