shape
carat
color
clarity

diff vendors are quoting diff stone counts for eternity ring

ringsearching

Rough_Rock
I now have quotes frpm BE, whiteflash and bgd for an eternity with same pointer size and same ring size. Have others had this experience? The lowest quote is also the quote with the fewest stone said to be needed. I Am leaning towards going with it, but am aftaid when they actually make the ring, they will see tbeyneed more stones, and charge more. All were for a basic eternity set as low as possible.

Has anyone else had diff stone numbers quoted and if so, who was right and/or how did it turn out? I asked the vendors why their quotes had diff numbers than other quotes, and all said they did not know and could not comment about why other vendors would gibe a different number.

Q

Queenie60

Re: diff vendors are quoting diff stone counts for eternity

I suggest you call Yekutiel at ID Jewelry. See what he has to say???

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Hi :wavey: - Obviously I can't speak for the dealers you've received quotes from (nor would I presume to), but in general, this may help answer some of your questions as to why you're getting different info for the same job.
Maybe it would be best to focus on the minimum total diamond weight rather than the number of stones?
It's quite common to quote a minimum total carat weight to cover variables (min total ct weights on diamond jewellery are actually law here in AUS...not sure about the US?) - for example, ring design ABC, in a standard stock finger size N will normally take 10 diamonds with a minimum total carat weight of 1.00ct. This allows a bit of play for different finger sizes - i.e. larger finger size T=more stones (maybe 11 but in a slightly lighter individual carat size)...but...a smaller finger size J=less stones (maybe 9 but in a slightly heavier individual carat size) - - therefore the only thing changing is the number of diamonds across the finger to achieve the required look, but both are still hitting the required minimum total of 1.00ct.
Another reason for variations may be due to the particular line of goods that are being used, and how the carat weights & mm sizes marry up - - in parcels of smalls there can be a bit of variation based on where/who cuts it. For example, a parcel of 0.10s can vary in weight from 0.09-0.11cts, and for fine cut goods the mm sizes can range from about 2.875-3.10mm - - - whereas the same sized parcel in medium cut goods can vary from 2.775-3.00mm - - - these slight mm differences across the finger can add up, resulting in different numbers that may be required to achieve the same overall mm length across the finger.
So in this example for ring ABC, if you went strictly by the number of stones, you could end up with 11 x 0.091pt stones or 9 x 0.112pt stones - - - but if you have a minimum total carat weight, even though the number may vary, the jeweller has to hit the minimum carat total every time the ring is made.
Also, all things being equal, and say hypothetically they are all using the exact same parcel of goods - -- to achieve the desired look you're after, vendor A may think they can do it with 10x0.10pt stones at 3.0mm - but vendor B may think it will only need 9x0.11pt stones at 3.1mm - - - so the end result in mm spread across your finger will be the exact same even though the number of stones isn't...make sense? (and yes i realise i haven't bothered to work out exactly the correct mm difference...so anyone thinking of calling me on that...it's just an example to illustrate the point... ;-) )
Regarding being charged more if they fall short on the number...just have the conversation and ask them 'what if?' - Rather than using another stone, perhaps they're figuring they can use slightly bigger stones/mm if the original set falls shy of the mark? But I would like to think that if you're dealing with someone who makes jewellery as part of their regular business, that this has already been considered and factored into any quote - - besides...anyone who values their street cred (especially here on PS ;-) ) is going to eat the cost of a small stone rather than risk upsetting the customer because they've stuffed up a quote :)
It's late...I've just read this back to myself...not sure if I've explained this clearly...? :lol:
Hope this helps

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

There's no chance of any of these being half-eternity, or dropping stones in the back for comfort?

There are lots of different ways to set stones, with different amounts of metal or air space visible on each. That's the only explanation I can think of.

ringsearching

Rough_Rock

Thank you diamondseeker for the link of the other thread and ADN for your trade view. They are all quites for the aame full eternity style and average pointer size.this therefor still leaveme confused, but they are all commonly used and trusted vendors,so i guess it is unlikely they will mess me up. I thank everyone for their time. if anyonr has eternity ring stone count estimate differences specifically with erd/be, whiteflash or bgd i would be interested in hearing more. Thanks!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you read the thread I posted, you would no that the best way to proceed you need to talk to the vendor ASAP. Ask them your questions. ALL OF THEM. Then once you have the answers, you email them a follow up that summarizes your understanding.

You do NOT say "Oh well, I'll see what happens," and shrug it off.

Okay?

Call. The. Vendor.

This is a contract and CLEAR communication is YOUR responsibility as much as it is the vendors. So if you have concerns voice them NOW.

ringsearching

Rough_Rock

Ok!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How much is it off by? If it's just a diamond or then that might be down to how high or low the ring is set or someone is calculating 2.5 mm diamonds and another is calculating 2.55 mm diamonds. I wouldn't expect it to be off by more than a diamond. If it is, ask!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results