shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you have reset regret? I am planning one again...

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Third time is the charm right? I would like to get your thoughts from those who have been in the same predicament. My 2.20 GIA L VS1 antique cushion has been in two settings so far and it is still not right for me. Ugh.

First a halo that was gorgeous but really too much for my lifestyle and taste once I had it on my finger. It was really top heavy and hung over like a ginormous Hollywood celebrity ring - even though it was not by far!

Now it is in an antique style crown setting with french cuts down the shank. I love the ring but there is a gap that I did not know would bother me so much and I cannot stack more than 1 band comfortably because of my short fingers. And with my french cut eternity it is too matchy matchy. I have lovely bands that I would like to stack and new ones make great gifts from the hubby in the future! For the french cut setting I would probably have a colored stone cut to set in it.

Sooo - here I am contemplating a Boston Jeff style solitaire with a 2mm shank and slightly tapered shoulders in platinum. I am tired of being unhappy with what should be a joy to put on every morning. This has been an expensive lesson to find what I am happy with and am fearful of doing it again. Those with a solitaire like this does it spin or fall over to the side?

Thank you for responding! Any thoughts from anyone welcomed!

Pics

dscn1639.jpg

_20435.jpg

dscn1839.jpg

20150522_082831.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post any solitaires you think I might need to look at! Thank you!

My stone

acc1.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to laugh out loud when I read your post. I wish the third time was the charm for me. I'm sure that if you look up my threads, you will lose count of the settings I have had. Fwiw I loved both of yours. I think they were very compatible with your stone. Tbh my settings are not expensive and I'm usually able to trade up with a minimal cost, so for me, I love the novelty of a new setting. Sometimes I do regret trading some of them bc I go back and look at my pictures and really miss them but it's too late. IDk when I will stop resetting bc I tend to get bored easily and since I love looking at my ring, the boredom sets in quickly. Anyhow, I have found that stacking on short fingers like mine doesn't work. Here is my last reset which was triggered by need to stack and see more stone. Three weeks later and still no regrets. But give me a month or so. :oops:
image_4138.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala I love your stack now. I kinda feel ridiculous being so picky and am not really unhappy. But I could be totally happy with my ring someday! Besides, how many more styles are there to try?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My reset regret was...that I didn't get it right the first dang time. :twirl:

My first reset (but was my third ering) regret was that the stone changed in the bezel and I didn't like the change. Now I have my AVC three stone, and *if* I were to have a regret, it would be that I would have the stones be juuuust a hair bigger. In hindsight, I would've liked to have gotten closer to the 2ctw mark. But, yanno, 1.68 isn't bad and they're AVC's for crying out loud haha! But other than that, I've had the ring for a shade over 3 years now and less'n we hit the jackpot numbers and I can spring for bigger stones, I am deliriously happy w/my set. (and even still, I would have the setting itself remade exactly, I wouldn't change that at all) It's simple, got a couple twists w/the engraved words on the outside of my wband, and the modern/antique mix that I think is unusual and fun.

I am working on a reset of a colored stone RHR that I may also wear on my left sometimes, and *that* is proving a bit more difficult for me.

Have you tried making lists? I am a listy sorta gal. What you like and don't like about each of the two iterations of your ring..and then maybe throw in pictures of things that capture your eye or your heart, inspirations for the reset? Maybe that will help you sort things out?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat if your 3 stone is the bezel one in white gold now, I love that much better than the yellow gold 3 stone. The stones completely changed and it looks so much more substantial.

I have folders of pics and I am on here researching solitaires. But it really helps if the stone is similarly sized to mine because some huge stones look totally different in the same setting. I don't want my ACC to look smaller than it is so some help on shank width and proportion might help too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really want to stack rings, I would think the one you are contemplating now would best accommodate that. Thinner shank, stone set in prongs. I too though am in the camp of short fingers and much as I might like to stack, it just won't work for me. I hope you have more finger to stack than I do - lol!!

Are you able to go try on some settings to see which one you really like best?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks I wish I lived in an area that had more to choose from. When I remember this stack on my hand it was comfortable and the underneath of it would be similar with the cathedral to the solitaire I am contemplating, just minus the halo.

_24413.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have an e-ring but my 5ct OEC has been reset a few times before it found its final home in a tapered french cut setting. I have had this setting for more than 2 years and I am super happy with my ring every day. I love it as much as I loved it the very first time I saw it.

So sorry you are letting your french cut ring go. I love the stacking combo with 2 bands :love: :love: :love:
But I have learned that settings are super personal and perhaps this just isn't 'you', although it looks stunning on you. A Boston Jeff will be gorgeous for your stone and you will have many stacking options. Make sure to tell the jeweller you want to stack your ring and that you want to avoid a large gap.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom I love your setting and was looking at MicheleZs that is like yours but it would not solve my problem of stacking bands. That pic with the two bands looks great but it is so uncomfortable for any more than a few minutes. And I refuse to say I need bigger rings. LOL. I can comfortably do three 2mm bands and even my FC eternity at 2.6mm with two 2mm bands. And I need to lose 20lbs so that might have something to do with it. But the matchy thing and the gap are still there too. I have a solitaire that I love but the stone is smaller and not a diamond so I think I am ok with doing this.

Just hoping it will last and I don't have reset disease. :loopy:

Can anyone post pics of Boston Jeff style rings please?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of your settings are beautiful :love:

I feel your pain about being unhappy though. My pear has been reset 3 times & FINALLY I got it right.

The original setting was a plain shank, 1.5mm flat as a pancake, flimsy platinum basket setting. It looked scrawny next to my wedding ring & Sat pushed away from it. The claws chewed at my eternity ring. The next setting was cathedral with RB chanel set shoulders. More bling, but just looked weird with my wedding ring & princess eternity. I finally sat with a fab jeweller & did lots of sketches & ideas. My final setting, which is just over 2 years old, still floats my boat :love: It is high enough to clear my eternity ring & was made to the exact proportions of my wedding ring only slightly narrower. It looks at home just with my plain wedding ring or with my eternity stacked on. It just feels classic, weighty & worthy of such a beautiful, perfect diamond.

So no, no regrets here :))

Edited to add: the width is a major factor if you want to stack, so please bear that in mind. My stack is too thick & tight if my hands get hot. The wedding & eternity are 3mm each, the pear is 2.5mm. They are all the same size. I hate to switch my eternity to my right hand, but do it often :rolleyes:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Mrs Blop's new DK soli looks like it would allow for fairly flush stacking with a couple bands, and is quite beautiful. :love:

ETA - maybe a euro shank would help reduce spinning/toppling.

_1329.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love mrsblop's new solitaire! My stone in the first bezel really had a lot of light blocked and as much as I love a JM, I already have a bezel 3 stone. I have always loved that JM ring! Thanks JoCoJenn!

AlexT I totally get what you are saying about the width. I have been putting all my bands together to see the most I can do.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1451613643|3969131 said:
I love mrsblop's new solitaire! My stone in the first bezel really had a lot of light blocked and as much as I love a JM, I already have a bezel 3 stone. I have always loved that JM ring! Thanks JoCoJenn!

AlexT I totally get what you are saying about the width. I have been putting all my bands together to see the most I can do.

Hi redwood! Nice to see you!

I was going to post my solitaire then saw it had already been done. I'm wearing it as I type this, and it's the most comfortable ring I've ever had. It sits almost completely flush with my eternity, which is quite high, and as flush as I can tell with a normal height wedding band. There's a tiny gap where the donut is - but it really is very small.

Anyway, I LOVE it - and think it might work for you. So that's my 2c. :) Good luck and I'll be following this thread to see where you end!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh my goodness, I am about to do another reset. First I didn't like that the melee in my shank out-whited my L center stone, and the large prongs and prong orientation bothered me:

diamond-430.jpg

So I reset it into a solitaire without melee, and I loved it.

image_1918.jpg

But I couldn't wear a wedding band with it. Then I caught the rose gold bug, and then the platinum seemed gray rather than white...and I am about to reset in an 18k rose gold solitaire that will sit nicely with my 7-AVC rose gold band.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you mrsblop! I have narrowed it down to wanting a cathedral and double claws and that is as far as I have gotten. I have 8 prongs and they are too much even though we succeeded in creating a head that looks like a crown.

Tourmaline I love your solitaire and I think I am feeling the same thing about my side stones with my L, although it doesn't really bother me that much. The matchy thing and gap bother me more. I am so excited to see your beauty in rose gold! I love rose gold and it looks better with my skin tone than yellow. So full on rose gold head included? And I love your 7 stone.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, full rose gold! I'm so excited to get it set! Here it is, just sitting in there temporarily. Strangely, it was cast with the claw prongs already bent. I think my setter can handle it. I have to find time to go see him about it.

image_4139.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Redwood- your diamond is so stunning. I just love it!

I've had so many resets (always the "last one"!) that I am either certifiably laughable or insane! Or a mix of the two! ;-) Honestly though, if you can afford, you should have the setting that makes you the happiest. A solitaire will definitely be the most versatile, however will you miss the blingy sides that your current setting has? I see what you are saying about the gap, as that wide of a gap would bother me as well. However I have to say, matchy band, gap and all, your set is stunning and really does NOT need to change! I would move past the gap to wear that stunning set!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline that is going to be lovely! I so love rose gold.

Feb03bride thank you so much for your kind words. I think I will be happy with a solitaire and no side stones. MichaelE is cutting a stone to fit into my french cut setting so I can still wear it as a RHR. I love all kinds of bands and the solitaire will open up the opportunity to add to my collection!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb03Bride|1451692864|3969431 said:
Redwood- your diamond is so stunning. I just love it!

I've had so many resets (always the "last one"!) that I am either certifiably laughable or insane! Or a mix of the two! ;-) Honestly though, if you can afford, you should have the setting that makes you the happiest. A solitaire will definitely be the most versatile, however will you miss the blingy sides that your current setting has? I see what you are saying about the gap, as that wide of a gap would bother me as well. However I have to say, matchy band, gap and all, your set is stunning and really does NOT need to change! I would move past the gap to wear that stunning set!
for the next 6 months!... :lol:

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Last year I reset my diamond in a halo and immediately regretted it. Hindsight is is 20/20 and I think it was actually a good look for me. But I went back to my old setting and impulsively had a new tapered baguette setting made and it has been nothing but a disaster. I actually noticed a chipped baguette today. So depending on cost, I may reset it......again. So I know how it feels to just not be settled with something.

FWIW, I LOVE your French cut side setting and band. But I wouldn't like that big of a gap either. Can anything be done to modify it so the rings will sit closer together? I. Hope that you can find something that you love!

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tourmaline|1451690681|3969416 said:
Yes, full rose gold! I'm so excited to get it set! Here it is, just sitting in there temporarily. Strangely, it was cast with the claw prongs already bent. I think my setter can handle it. I have to find time to go see him about it.

image_4139.jpg

Where, oh WHERE did you have that gorgeous rose gold setting made? I think that may be exactly what I am looking for, if you're willing to share your secret

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
how exciting! with my first ring, I kept resetting and nothing was right. So I decided on a different stone. but the first custom setting wasn't right for me. Then working with Caysie of cvb-she really nailed exactly everything I was looking for. I still love it and hope it is my forever ring!

I am really looking forward to seeing what you choose!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi redwood, many of us have been where you are and can totally relate to what you are going through.

I reset my original diamond at least 3 times and really for me it was that the diamond was just not right and when I found my OEC I knew that had been the problem all along. I am not a modern brilliant round girl. That is my experience however and it is challenging to find exactly the right setting for your gorgeous stone. One that you want to wear everyday and enjoy forever. So maybe take that pressure off and just choose the setting that makes your heart sing today.

I think you have the most versatility with a classic solitaire and can switch up the rings you wear with it. I LOVE that Boston Jeff solitaire style and think your diamond would look GORGEOUS in that type of setting. :love:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
therainbowradish|1451798132|3969929 said:
Where, oh WHERE did you have that gorgeous rose gold setting made? I think that may be exactly what I am looking for, if you're willing to share your secret

Sure, I had the same company make all three of my settings. I have to warn you that communication is difficult, but the price and quality are phenomenal. This one took over 40 emails back and forth and a bunch of changes, and they finally got it right. They are Jewelryhoo on eBay and something different on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChangxingJewelry

If you want to have it made by someone else, here's my final CAD.

solitaire-cad.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much! I am pretty sure that the Boston Jeff style is what I will go with and let my beautiful stone from Erica at Love Affair Diamonds stand on its own. It is an amazing one and so symmetrically cut for a very old stone. I would never have known about these antique cuts were it not for Pricescope.

Tourmaline I am glad to hear your review of that eBay seller as their settings might be ones to look at for those colored stones that keep piling up but are lonely in their boxes.

unsettled - the style of my ring is a crown type that cannot be modified without starting all over.

dscn1720.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask, what is a "Boston Jeff" style ring?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results