carat
color
clarity

Did I pick a milky one?

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi all,
I pur based my first lab grown diamond tonight to replace a dud stone in a ring of mine. I’m under fairly tight size parameters and while I’m keenly aware of the ideal cut angles, I was trying to keep the cost low, so I chose what I thought was an eye clean SI1. But now I’m wondering...did I pick a milky stone? I’m probably second guessing myself. Any opinions?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Looks good to me. Maybe ask a JA consultant to assure you?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Looks good to me. Maybe ask a JA consultant to assure you?

I think it’s a good idea to ask like Monipod suggested. There is not clarity plot on the cert, and I’m having a heck of a time finding any inclusions that would warrant the SI1 rating.
I remember on Reddit not too long ago someone posted an SI1 with basically no inclusions on the clarity plot, convinced that GIA had “messed up” on grading. The cert noted that were additional clouds were not shown, and the whole diamond was basically a cloudy mess.
Not sure that you’re in the same boat, but I guess I’d feel better if I could spot on inclusion or two on that diamond to justify the grading.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a good idea to ask like Monipod suggested. There is not clarity plot on the cert, and I’m having a heck of a time finding any inclusions that would warrant the SI1 rating.
I remember on Reddit not too long ago someone posted an SI1 with basically no inclusions on the clarity plot, convinced that GIA had “messed up” on grading. The cert noted that were additional clouds were not shown, and the whole diamond was basically a cloudy mess.
Not sure that you’re in the same boat, but I guess I’d feel better if I could spot on inclusion or two on that diamond to justify the grading.

I’m inclined to agree. There are some white lines visible as you spin it, and I’m thinking it’s got the equivalent of when a GIA report says “additional clouds not shown.” It’s funny how good I was at this when I was helping others but when I have a little project of my own my knowledge goes kaput!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful and very eye clean to me!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Could the grade be based on twinning wisps? I can see two lines in that video. I have a (natural) SI1 diamond with twining wisps and that is totally eye clean in person.

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Could the grade be based on twinning wisps? I can see two lines in that video. I have a (natural) SI1 diamond with twining wisps and that is totally eye clean in person.

Could be. Ultimately I took the safe route and cancelled the order and ordered a different stone with a VS2 grade.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Could be. Ultimately I took the safe route and cancelled the order and ordered a different stone with a VS2 grade.

I think that was a smart thing to do- it seems like you’d have a hard time considering it mind clean and constantly be looking for the clarity issues otherwise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results