shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I pay too much at Robins Brothers?

Adventuringguy85

Rough_Rock
Well, I have been looking at a few different rings online and my girlfriend has been hinting at a specific ring, http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/Engagement-Rings/Ring-With-Sidestones/Simon-G--Jewelry-i27331.ring , I went in to check it out and before I knew it I was sitting at the table picking out the center stone and what not. Something seems... well, I think I spent too much. I am okay with the ring price as I know it is a designer ring, but I am more concerned with the stone.

The center diamond I selected was a 14KW 1.04 Ct Round Solitaire, with a GOOD cut, I1 clarity and J color. The price for the stone was $3995.00. The sales girl basically showed me 3 diamonds, and this was the most expensive. I felt good about the purchase in the store, made the payment, and agreed to pick up the ring on Saturday. After getting home, I've read that Robins Bros are over priced and I think I am more interested in a diamond with better clarity and color. I am giving some serious thought to returning the diamond and keeping the ring, and perhaps shopping around (southern California) and finding the diamond separate. Could any of you kind folks give me some insight? I really don't want to spend 4k on a diamond to find out I could've gotten something a lot better for my money. Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There would be no price good enough to make me buy an I1 good cut diamond for an engagement ring, if you want complete honesty. These kinds of stores make me sick. I would urge you to cancel the deal and start over. You might end up buying the setting from them, but please buy a better diamond than that for an engagement ring. We can help you find excellent cut and a decent color and clarity from a vendor that is reputable with competitive prices. I hope you will cancel while you can as that is just not a good diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GraceAva

Rough_Rock
i'm not a diamond expert like a lot of people on PS but i think that is waaaaay overpriced! take it back as soon as humanely possible so that they can't say you've had it to long. everybody here will help you get the very best for your money.

Adventuringguy85

Rough_Rock
I'm almost completely convinced that I am going to return the stone... I really wish I had researched more online before heading inside the store, they didn't even show me an SI, everything was I1-13. :nono: I would love to hear some recommendations on where to go, I think I may even stop in tomorrow and get a refund for the stone and I will still pick up the ring on Saturday. I would like to be able to see the diamond in person but I am open to shopping online. I would like to stay in the $4k or below range for the stone. Also, I appreciate your honesty, I wish someone could have told me that in the store. =\

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with diamondseeker and if you can return the stone it and start over I would. I love the simon g setting though!!

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
When DiamondSeeker speaks, you listen!

Return, Return, Return!! Like everything. That is just a horrific stone and it also makes me angry that they took advantage of you in this way.... :angryfire:

Did I mention return ?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing, I would call and try to stop them before the set the diamond if you want the setting. It will be best if a stone has not already been set in it. If you go ahead and buy the setting, you can send it to a jeweler such as WhiteFlash or Brian Gavin and I am sure they will set the stone for you with a setting fee. They do not charge to set stones when they sell the settings. You will save by not having to pay sales tax for the diamond if you buy from WF or BG because they are in Houston.

Oh, and do NOT buy the setting if they did not order it from Simon G in her size!!! If they took their sample ring and tried to resize it, that may loosen the pave and cause all kinds of problems!

Adventuringguy85

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker, those are some excellent sites, thank you. I want a stone with 1 - 1.06 ct, but I would like to keep the price as close to $4k as possible. It's hard to select something nice with so many options, everything looks like french! I'm going to look through the sites and see if I find something awesome, any other suggestions are definitely welcome! Did I say thank you? Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adventuringguy85|1303481857|2902594 said:
I'm almost completely convinced that I am going to return the stone... I really wish I had researched more online before heading inside the store, they didn't even show me an SI, everything was I1-13. :nono: I would love to hear some recommendations on where to go, I think I may even stop in tomorrow and get a refund for the stone and I will still pick up the ring on Saturday. I would like to be able to see the diamond in person but I am open to shopping online. I would like to stay in the $4k or below range for the stone. Also, I appreciate your honesty, I wish someone could have told me that in the store. =\

Simon G is a very fine quality setting and it just seems crazy to me that they sell poor quality stones to put in expensive settings!

You'll need to go just under a carat to get an excellent quality stone, and the .90 range is pretty rare. So that WhiteFlash stone is a really great buy and should fit in a 1 ct. setting. Those stones disappear often when we post them on here, so if you think you might be interested, I would reserve it while you decide. And no, I do not work for them (!), but I know how diamonds recommended on here tend to disappear when they are a particularly good buy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you are very welcome! You'll be looking at over $5000 if you go with excellent/ideal cut I-J color and SI1 to VS2 clarity. That's as low as I'd recommend going for an e-ring. If you can boost your diamond budget to go over 1 ct., that is great. But if not, I'd much rather have a superior .92 than a poor quality 1.0!

Please post any others you find here and we'll give you more opinions! :bigsmile:

Adventuringguy85

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1303483012|2902613 said:
Oh, you are very welcome! You'll be looking at over $5000 if you go with excellent/ideal cut I-J color and SI1 to VS2 clarity. That's as low as I'd recommend going for an e-ring. If you can boost your diamond budget to go over 1 ct., that is great. But if not, I'd much rather have a superior .92 than a poor quality 1.0!

Please post any others you find here and we'll give you more opinions! :bigsmile:

I think I can do $5k as I forgot that some of the online stores do not charge tax... the tax really got me in the store.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adventuringguy85|1303482859|2902611 said:
Can I get some opinions on this stone? http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-details/?product_id=30773731 It looks a lot nicer and is in my price range!

Just found this one as well: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2631480.htm

These are virtual stones from a supplier list and not actually stones they have in-house. It is possible for them to call in stones and look at them for you, but they have their in-house stones cut to be excellent cut quality and they are going to be superior to most of those virtual stones. So try to look at the stones they actually have and avoid the ones that come up as virtual.

Adventuringguy85

Rough_Rock
I like the prices on the virtual rings, but I understand they haven't inspected them yet... now I'm in a pickle because I need the stone in the next 1-2 weeks. Aghhh!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Adventuringguy85|1303486220|2902649 said:
I found this one, it fits into my price range (just barely) even though it is a virtual selection, I think I might go with this, could I get your opinion on it? http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2556785.htm

unfortunately we don't have enough information on that one to decide if it would be worth calling in. for virtual stones use the HCA tool to find good candidates
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

some 0.90s in your price range
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2631614.htm
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104049771003

ETA what was the price on the simon g setting?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Take a look at James Allen, they have some nice I and J ideal cuts for right at $5K and the 1 carat mark. You can even find a similar setting from them, the Simon G one is nice but it's not anything you can't find somewhere else, you know?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just slightly afraid that the low prices on those JA stones has to do with the probablility that they aren't eyeclean, but I would tell them you have to have one that is very eyeclean because you don't have the time to order and return.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adventuringguy85|1303483817|2902625 said:
I like the prices on the virtual rings, but I understand they haven't inspected them yet... now I'm in a pickle because I need the stone in the next 1-2 weeks. Aghhh!
a lot easier to work with in-house stones.. ;))

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
How about this:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2275619.htm
with this setting, looks just about identical to the Simon G:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/rounded-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-563.htm
and your total is $7500 (probably closer to $7300 with the pricescope discount, I'm not calculating that). That's about what you are out right now with the yucky diamond and Simon G setting when you factor in the tax. Whiteflash should be able to get it to you in your timeframe as well, and they have a trade-up policy for a future upgrade. But this gets you at the 1ct. mark with something much better quality and eye-clean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well nfowife, someone liked that last stone you posted because it now says reserved! Wow, so is the .92 I stone I posted earlier. I hope maybe one of these is for Adeverturingguy!

Adventuringguy85

Rough_Rock
Hey, I added up all together it comes to $7606.27, I think I'm going to give them a call and see if they can lower the price anymore as there is no discount on the set. The Simon G band was $2200, but I think at this price, I am getting a LOT more for my money, thank you! I'm on my way to RB to try to make a return right now, wish me luck!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
wow, talk about some stalkers! That was fast! :-o

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are doing the right thing by returning. You won't be disappointed if you go with WF and they do make lovely settings!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adventuringguy85|1303506591|2902853 said:
Hey, I added up all together it comes to $7606.27, I think I'm going to give them a call and see if they can lower the price anymore as there is no discount on the set. The Simon G band was $2200, but I think at this price, I am getting a LOT more for my money, thank you! I'm on my way to RB to try to make a return right now, wish me luck!

Good luck! Be strong and don't let them talk you out of it! I think you are going to be SO glad you did!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nfowife|1303506699|2902855 said:
wow, talk about some stalkers! That was fast! :-o

I know! I always think people may think I am working for the jewelers when I say hurry and reserve, but over and over this happens when good stones are recommended on here! For every posting member, there are many, many more who just read on here and learn and go buy the stones!

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
Adventuringguy85|1303480902|2902582 said:
Well, I have been looking at a few different rings online and my girlfriend has been hinting at a specific ring, http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/Engagement-Rings/Ring-With-Sidestones/Simon-G--Jewelry-i27331.ring , I went in to check it out and before I knew it I was sitting at the table picking out the center stone and what not. Something seems... well, I think I spent too much. I am okay with the ring price as I know it is a designer ring, but I am more concerned with the stone.

The center diamond I selected was a 14KW 1.04 Ct Round Solitaire, with a GOOD cut, I1 clarity and J color. The price for the stone was $3995.00. The sales girl basically showed me 3 diamonds, and this was the most expensive. I felt good about the purchase in the store, made the payment, and agreed to pick up the ring on Saturday. After getting home, I've read that Robins Bros are over priced and I think I am more interested in a diamond with better clarity and color. I am giving some serious thought to returning the diamond and keeping the ring, and perhaps shopping around (southern California) and finding the diamond separate. Could any of you kind folks give me some insight? I really don't want to spend 4k on a diamond to find out I could've gotten something a lot better for my money. Thank you!

Adventuringguy85 ~ I just read your thread and I'm so happy for you that you found PS. You and your GF will so much happier with the PS recommendations you got. Please post pics of what you end up getting. Goodluck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results