shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make the right decision?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
Ok...
I''ve been thinking about things for a while... and like i do after most major purchases I second guess myself. Did I make the right decision etc etc..

I know I should have posted all this first, but it seemed like the right decision in the store. Its really just the “idea” of “non-ideal” nags at me and makes me wonder if I made the right decision.

Here is the link to the diamond.. again..

http://www.goodoldgold.com/round_1_23ct_h_vs2.htm

I know I’m sacrificing symmetry and cut (only somewhat I think) for size. However, is this still a good diamond or am I just blinded by the size? A stone this size I didn’t think was in my budget.. well a nice one anyway.

I guess my only concern is b/c I was told (I think) that it would be an AGS 5.. not sure if it was just a guess or more or less known, it has a GIA cert which does not comment on cut.
Also given all this is the price good?

Having gone through all that I have seen the diamond and I thought compared to an AGS 3 diamond it sparkles a lit and looks much better. Also compared to H&A diamonds it still seems to look nice to me, not quite as sparkly but definitely pretty close.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Chris

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
How much did you pay?

What are the crown and pavilion angles?

Crown and Pavilion depth %?

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
I used Pricescope with the following criteria: Round, H & A, 1.2-1.3 cts, H color, VS2 clarity, 58.7-62.3% depth, 53-58% table, , GIA and AGS certified

Search came up with 2 diamonds.

I think you can do better than the one from GOG.

$7062*S

$6289*SP

$6322*

$6342*S

$6407P

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Chris, you got to see the stones and make a visual comparison. The stone you chose spoke to you for whatever reason, and it spoke louder than the others.
1.gif

I wouldn't get too caught up in the numbers at this point. You bought a very nice stone for a decent price. Be happy!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually I think you got an excellent deal...as I posted originally a few days back. My stone is alot like yours, and its beautiful in person. It's an AGS 7 too, so it tops your AGS 5!
1.gif
Ideal is a term, so if you loved the stone in person, there was a reason for that. Size also spoke to us when we were looking, thats part of the reason why we ended up with this stone. I took an IdealScope picture of my stone tonite and it's not half bad! It may not be AGS 0 with H&A, but it look darn big and its sparkly and white and thats really all that matters...plus its our now, just like yours is yours.
2.gif
So enjoy it!

For stones like these, the numbers don't always tell the whole story. Sometimes its the eye that really shows you what these larger, shallower stones are made of.

Also Kevin, Chris got this stone for $5500, so less than the stones you posted for
1.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Did you get the bank wire price? That is a big discount, if so.

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
Hello Mara,

I was not sure if Chris paid cash or credit from the post. Maybe I missed something. For a price difference of $789, I would at least inquire about the second stone with Tony or Martin at USA Cert. Diamonds. $789 may buy some peace of mind. Knowing that you have H&A, AGS0, etc... is comforting. Yes, I agree that numbers don't tell the whole story. However, based on numbers alone, the second diamond may be a better value. What does Chris have to lose by asking?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chris paid $5500, he said so in his previous post.
1.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-just-bought-a-stone.10646/

BTW, this stone that Chris bought will not look like a 1.23c. It will look like a 1.34 or similar. It's like mine--larger and shallow. So the carat weight is 1.23 but visually it has a diameter of 1.34. So in effect he got a great stone for the money, especially compared to the ones you posted--they are more expensive AND smaller looking.
9.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chris,

Sometimes it is in our nature to 2nd guess decisions we make...You know the (could of, should of, would of)

You could of bought a better cut stone for a higher price....

Truth is you got an AGS 5 stone with very nice light performance results at a competetive reduced price....

As Mara points out (she beat me to the punch) proportionately considering the diameter your stone faces up like a 1.34)

You did very well considering your budget and priorities....You stretched your budget by going with an AGS 5 and got yourself an outstanding stone which has a diameter of a bigger diamond and great light performance results...

Pat yourself on the back and rest assured you did well...
wacko.gif

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
Hello Mara,

I read the old thread.

HCA Score - 2.7 (VG/VG/G/Ex)

OK, if he is looking for Ex spread.

Different stroke for different folks.

I was just trying to be helpful.I always second guess myself also.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We all second guess ourselves.
1.gif
Especially on expensive purchases.

I just don't want Chris to freak out because he didn't get an AGS 0. As I was pointing out--sometimes its the odd stones that really call to you. I am such a cut freak, I want H&A everything now. But my stone is pretty unique. And there aren't that many of these better cut, shallower type stones out there so when someone finds one and gets it at a great price, it's kind of cool.
2.gif
It's a visual thing though. This type of stone will look different than an H&A. So if Chris liked the look of this stone and it called to him, an AGS0 H&A would look different, and maybe he wouldn't even like it!
11.gif
Hee Hee.

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
Point taken.
loopy.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Mara, while not a AGS 0 cut diamond and not the best in performance, it is still a very nice diamond and the price is right.

It is human nature to always second guess ourselves when we are shelling large sums of money.

rodent.gif

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
sorry for freaking guys...

I thought and thought and then...
Talked to my mother, believe it or not. She came with me when I went to buy the diamonds and is very level headed, and not to big on big stones (she has a VVS .6) I really only brought her to give me a reality check on everything, a layman's opinion, someone who didn't know about diamonds.

and she reminded me why I chose the stone, which is really about the same as Maria was saying...and she also asked me why I was freaking out. And in reality the only reason is the label the idea that it was not "ideal"

It is a very pretty stone, I chose it for the sparkle and brilliance which were a result from the very little light leakage. I went back and read post a few days ago about it and it reminded me why I chose it. Amazing how grinding something over in your head for a few days can skew things.

btw I did/will pay $5500, the credit card price is wrong, he was going to fix it, but I bought it so no need to. $6800 would change things

I was looking at this stone vs. a 1ct H&A and .93 H&A with came clarity and color. Although for comparison purposes I looked at a 1.25H&A when buying the stone. I'm looking at pricepoint, not caret size($4500-$5500). which is my budget for the stone.

Thanks for the opinions guys... I appreciate both sides, its a nice reality check. I am going to stick with my choice. Seeing is believing. B.C to me it all just comes down to how it looks on her finger, and I think it looks great, i shouldn't secondguess myself over a label.

thanks
Chris

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Smack her foot, hear that baby scream
eek.gif
and pass the cigars.

Phew

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats Chris, sometimes its easy to get stuck in the madness. BTW check out my IdealScope image in my recent post from last nite, from one shallow stone owner to another
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results