shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I get conned? Alexandrite? Help!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Help- Advice? I posted this onto another persons post previous! Sorry. Am new to this forum world.

I think i got conned in an auction. Yes. I know thats the problem right there. Anyways, it was $2k USD. I am in Canada, and finding it difficult to find someone to appraise this.
I'm also trying to get this ring returned. The auction photos were more darker green, I ended up with this almost peridot coloured ring. Its almost kiwi yellow in day light, and brownish red in doors at night time. The stone is more strongly yellow in colour than green for sure.

The ring in question is on my pointer finger. The ring on my middle is an Alex as well, tiny, but i love it.
The colour (not great in photos, but not too far off as its not a great colour).

Is this a good price? Should I not even bother returning it? Its proving a bit difficult from the seller, which sets off all kinds of alarm bells. No appraisal was given (even though he said there would be one in the listing). Its about 1.4 ct, not many inclusions, but its a shallow stone, and the band shows through.

Thoughts?

Is this even an Alex? Or just a colour changing Chrysoberyl?
Any guidance or advice would be appreciated.

20200619_134707.jpg 20200619_134830.jpg 20200619_134723(0).jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, @Cina_s :wavey: Think it would be helpful if you post a link to the auction listing.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Haha. I feel really bad and super stupid for believing this auction. but here is the photos from the auction and the ring that its supposed to be. Please dont judge me! :) I actually thought I would get a green stone that was heavily included, not a kiwi stone that is not so included.

I even called Roger Benatar the apprasier to see if he remembered the ring, he did not. but said that he knows Alex's are hard to photograph, but the ring I have likely is not the same.
And i know enough to not trust the appraised value for the ring. :(

I got this off of Live Auction. am in a process of returning the ring with the seller. Based on principle at this point, as i feel it was false advertisement. If the stone in photograph was kiwi coloured it would be different, but upon studying the auction photos after, looks like there is a blue filter/or colour tweak to the images.

image (1).png
image (2).png
image (3).png

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Does it ever look blue-green? Like under fluorescent light maybe?

Also, did you pay by credit card?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyl, if it shifts, tends to be yellow to greenish or vice versa. They typically don't go from yellowish green to brown, hence I think this one has a chance to be considered Alexandrite, just less desirable. Price-wise, kinda overpriced, given the colour change, size, and clarity. I guess not too ripped off since the setting is included..

2.9 ct with green to some sort of brownish green for $2.7K
Alexandrite Oval 2.990 CTS | AX10112aa | Multicolour.com
Natural Alexandrite Oval weighing 2.990 CTS in Single loose gemstones category at Multicolour.com
www.multicolour.com
www.multicolour.com

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Does it ever look blue-green? Like under fluorescent light maybe?

Also, did you pay by credit card?

SADLY my first red flag, and also my first auction purchase ever. It was not Credit Card, they only accepted money transfer. I KNOW. trust me, once i heard that I knew it was fishy, but also, was worried that I was responsible for the purchase of the ring. SIGH...........

I dont have a fluorecent light to look under. my office T5 tube fluorescent lights looks yellowish green. no blue in the ring at all.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
AND THE OTHER fishy thing is- im pretty sure they Made me a new ring after the auction to sell me. "Bait and switch" as I think its called. Coz this same listing is on their auction page still.

The person is really difficult and keeps dancing around my return. He says they accept returns if buyer isnt happy. But so far hasnt been too helpful in the return process. I even pointed out that i saw the listing again on his auction and he hasnt replied to that part of the email. Nor did he comment when I mentioned that I did not get the appraisal with my ring that he originally said I would... SIGH!!!!!!
Lol Pray my husband never sees this post Hahahaaa

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Urgh, it really doesn't sound good. I'm so sorry. The colour in the listing looks so much nicer.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Urgh, it really doesn't sound good. I'm so sorry. The colour in the listing looks so much nicer.

right??? I know. I am hoping/feeling that he did switch it with a lower grade Alex. in a setting similar to the listing. Obviously for $2K i was not expecting a nice clear green, good CC stone. :(

Thanks for the support though.

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
Oh no, how incredibly frustrating. Is there an appeals system for if the seller doesn't respond properly? I've just had to sort out an Etsy scam so I feel your pain. I recommend being very clear with your timescales - "I expect you to process the refund within two days" and then two days later "as you have not processed the refund, I am escalating this to [whoever]". Being extremely clear about your expectations makes it easy for the auction arbitrators to find in your favour. Good luck!!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Oh no, how incredibly frustrating. Is there an appeals system for if the seller doesn't respond properly? I've just had to sort out an Etsy scam so I feel your pain. I recommend being very clear with your timescales - "I expect you to process the refund within two days" and then two days later "as you have not processed the refund, I am escalating this to [whoever]". Being extremely clear about your expectations makes it easy for the auction arbitrators to find in your favour. Good luck!!

I did try that. And he responded very rudely say that he was trying to do the best he could to accomodate my request for return, as he said the ring is as listed and is 100% alexandrite. But then did not proceed to give me any info on how I can return, and if he has approved to refund me :(

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Is it risky if they ask me to send back the ring- to start the refund? I worry that if I send it, he wont refund me. Obviously I would rather I get my refund then send the ring. But I guess thats not common practice right? :(

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I did try that. And he responded very rudely say that he was trying to do the best he could to accomodate my request for return, as he said the ring is as listed and is 100% alexandrite. But then did not proceed to give me any info on how I can return, and if he has approved to refund me :(

I hope your Etsy return worked out though. Online purchases are so scary! Thanks for your advice! :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
Gems/jewelry is not the type of product you should buy via online auctions. Only in-person auctions and stores where you can inspect the good, or online vendors with a good return policy are recommended by PS.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
What a rough situation. I’m sorry you fell into this!

I echo chrono’s assessment, that it may still be alexandrite. Just not a particularly great one. The fact that the seller still has the listing up is particularly troubling (was there any fine print there about you buying that specific ring or a ring like the one in the photo?)

What country is the seller in?

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear that. He sounds like a terrible seller. Have you replied yet? If not, I'd recommend something along the lines of "thanks for agreeing to help. As stated in your policy (quote the policy) I'd like to return the item. I'd like to send it back to you by Monday. Could you please send me the instructions for a return by the end of Sunday?"

That way, if he doesn't, you can go straight to whoever manages the website (assuming they'll be of some help).

I send unpleasant emails all day for my job, and my approach is to be incredibly polite, make it as short as possible, always with a clear expectation and a time line. The less you say, the less they can argue with / ignore. I'm so sorry that you've had a bad auction experience - they can be so much fun, but sometimes it feels like the wild West. That ring looks nothing like the picture, and he should really, really make it right for you.

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
And yes! Thanks! I just got the Etsy refund a few days ago. Bought an item and the seller just.... Evaporated. Without sending me anything. Huge, huge relief to see that money back in my bank account.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry :( This could be an alexandrite, but just a poor quality one. But if I were you I would try to return.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Gems/jewelry is not the type of product you should buy via online auctions. Only in-person auctions and stores where you can inspect the good, or online vendors with a good return policy are recommended by PS.

yes. I guess lesson learned. I have some good purchases online. But this was a pretty epic fail :(

Thanks for the reply!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
What a rough situation. I’m sorry you fell into this!

I echo chrono’s assessment, that it may still be alexandrite. Just not a particularly great one. The fact that the seller still has the listing up is particularly troubling (was there any fine print there about you buying that specific ring or a ring like the one in the photo?)

What country is the seller in?

no fine print. And he dances and ignores those parts of the email.
He is in LA. The main auction website doesnt seem too phased by it when I brought it up. Sigh!

Thanks for your reply! It's a little reassuring it's likely an Alex.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
And yes! Thanks! I just got the Etsy refund a few days ago. Bought an item and the seller just.... Evaporated. Without sending me anything. Huge, huge relief to see that money back in my bank account.

oo that's even scarier that they disappeared!

Your email writing is great! I will follow up tomorrow with another email if he doesn't reply and will try some of your suggestions!
Thanks!!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I am so sorry :( This could be an alexandrite, but just a poor quality one. But if I were you I would try to return.

I'm trying :( but atleast if it's not returnable it's real.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know that you were taken, per se. It's a good-sized alex with a strong color change. It is shallow-cut and neither color is particularly appealing IRL.

The "appraisal" value of $24K is in line with a really nice 1.4 ct Hematita Brazilian alex, imo. So the fact that you got it for 92% off is not an indication that it's worthless but just that the appraisal value is bogus. I think what you paid is not too far from "fair market value."

You will not get an attractive > 1-ct alex for $2K -- I mean, unless it has just been pulled off someone's finger at gunpoint around the corner...

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have time to read comments but to me it looks like a real alexandrite with less desirable color change

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
But that’s to be expected for a stone that size and ring price wise
A good Alex would be considerably more

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I don't know that you were taken, per se. It's a good-sized alex with a strong color change. It is shallow-cut and neither color is particularly appealing IRL.

The "appraisal" value of $24K is in line with a really nice 1.4 ct Hematita Brazilian alex, imo. So the fact that you got it for 92% off is not an indication that it's worthless but just that the appraisal value is bogus. I think what you paid is not too far from "fair market value."

You will not get an attractive > 1-ct alex for $2K -- I mean, unless it has just been pulled off someone's finger at gunpoint around the corner...

This makes me feel a lot better about my purchase. Yes the colour isnt particularly attractive compared to a green to red or real to purple Alex. :)

Thanks for this reply!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have time to read comments but to me it looks like a real alexandrite with less desirable color change

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad it's a real Alexandrite! Though colour is so so. At least its real :)

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Not to rain on your parade...but it’s still not guaranteed to be real. IDing a stone by photos online is very tough.

If it being real alexandrite would be a great comfort to you, I highly recommend getting a local accredited gemologist to evaluate it.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Totally! Just dont know many people in Toronto that will appraise/verify an Alexandrite. Most just do the typical diamonds, rubies etc.. Plus with covid it's even harder to get someone to look and check it out.

But I appreciate the support and knowledge from the group.

Thanks for the reply!

voce

Ideal_Rock
There's a GIA somewhere in Toronto, I thought?

I mean, take a look at Skyjems. Virtually all the stones he individually lists have GIA lab reports.

What you paid seems in line with Skyjems' pricing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results