shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I get conned? Alexandrite? Help!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LD Hello, what do you think of these alexandrites, most of them are pretty included, right? Thank you!

I wouldn't touch that company with a barge pole. Any "jeweller" selling "Russian" Alexandrite clearly is in cloud cuckoo land. So if they can't get the origin right how would you be able to trust anything they sell? To be fair, if they had said "origin unknown" I'd have been more impressed.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't touch that company with a barge pole. Any "jeweller" selling "Russian" Alexandrite clearly is in cloud cuckoo land. So if they can't get the origin right how would you be able to trust anything they sell? To be fair, if they had said "origin unknown" I'd have been more impressed.

Thank you for your respond. I am not an expert and I only look at alexandrites because it is my grandbaby's birth stone. I agree, a low quality alex is not a pretty stone to use in jewelry, the color is not lovely. But I believe they have some connection to Richard W. Hughes, they sell emeralds and low quality small, under 1 carat alexandrites from the same Malyshevo deposit that Hughes visited himself https://lotusgemology.com/index.php/library/articles/298-emeralds-from-russia-a-closer-look, here is their FB page https://www.facebook.com/Russian-Demantoid-105670130795452/ Small Russian stones may be existing. Check on their https://www.facebook.com/kirill.gubarev.3?epa=SEARCH_BOX, just in case you may be interested to learn if there are indeed Russian stones on a market or not. It is jus an information.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your respond. I am not an expert and I only look at alexandrites because it is my grandbaby's birth stone. I agree, a low quality alex is not a pretty stone to use in jewelry, the color is not lovely. But I believe they have some connection to Richard W. Hughes, they sell emeralds and low quality small, under 1 carat alexandrites from the same Malyshevo deposit that Hughes visited himself https://lotusgemology.com/index.php/library/articles/298-emeralds-from-russia-a-closer-look, here is their FB page https://www.facebook.com/Russian-Demantoid-105670130795452/ Small Russian stones may be existing. Check on their https://www.facebook.com/kirill.gubarev.3?epa=SEARCH_BOX, just in case you may be interested to learn if there are indeed Russian stones on a market or not. It is jus an information.

Whether they are really from Russia or not the quality is absolutely awful. You buy an Alex for (1) colour change - and most of them do change colour but to a nasty brown - who wants that?! (2) clarity - all of them are awful and (3) cut - none of them are particularly cut well and (4) size - with the exception of a few stones they are all under 1ct.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Origin for Alexandrite is difficult to ascertain. Apparently there are types of inclusions that appear only in Russian origin Alexandrite. Russian Alexandrite is typically more included than from other sources. Russian alexandrite is favoured for its very strong green to purple red colour change. That said, some Alexandrite out of Brazil is frankly astonishing. Indian origin Alexandrite tends to have weaker and different toned colour change ie more yellow green to brownish pink.
My wee Alexandrite is presumed Russian. Here in Australia we don’t have anyone with the experience / knowledge / credentials to certify it as Russian or of any particular origin. It doesn’t matter to me.
It is extremely difficult to catch the daylight colour with a camera. Maybe over 100 attempts before it looks on screen like my eyes see it. Incandescent is easier but there are fewer incandescent light sources available around the house (everything seems LED / energy saving ha ha).
I’d suggest keep looking. Be patient. Choose a vendor with a great return policy. You really do need to judge an Alexandrite in person in “your” lighting conditions. Studio photos adjusted to the “correct wave length” are all well and good but what the point if where you live, with your normal light conditions, if 9A828B00-693D-48F1-AFEF-2FA75EC6E8D1.jpeg 2A674F93-0599-450D-802A-EF3F937D147D.jpeg can’t produce the colours you saw in the vendors photos?

Thank you for the detailed reply! and your ring is SO PRETTY!
Yes, thats a good suggestion, make sure the return policy is good, so i can see it in real life before I purchase/keep it.

Its so hard to know who is selling a good piece online. They might be reputable, but they could also have a piece that they don't realize is problematic too.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for this info. I'll take a look :)
I doubt anything I can find online is really Russian! and for what I can afford to pay

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
@Cina_s It never hurts to ask them several questions if you REALLY want the Russian stone. For me getting one from Ural was very important since as a child I was dreaming of going on a rock hunt in that region. And it happened to be my granddaughter's birth stone. I didn't buy my from Tsarina Jewels. It is small, under 0.5ct and it has eye visible inclusions. But I really needed something symbolic, something that is Russian, is an alexandrite and shows a strong color change. Tsarina's stones are coming with ICL certificate, this lab doesn't have the best reputation. But if you really want to buy a Russian material for any reason other than "investment", then you may contact Tsarina and ask them provide the stone you are interested in buying with LOTUS lab that is also located in Bangkok, Thailand. They don't have to mail it! And this lab knows how to check on whether the stone has originated from Russia or not.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
@Cina_s It never hurts to ask them several questions if you REALLY want the Russian stone. For me getting one from Ural was very important since as a child I was dreaming of going on a rock hunt in that region. And it happened to be my granddaughter's birth stone. I didn't buy my from Tsarina Jewels. It is small, under 0.5ct and it has eye visible inclusions. But I really needed something symbolic, something that is Russian, is an alexandrite and shows a strong color change. Tsarina's stones are coming with ICL certificate, this lab doesn't have the best reputation. But if you really want to buy a Russian material for any reason other than "investment", then you may contact Tsarina and ask them provide the stone you are interested in buying with LOTUS lab that is also located in Bangkok, Thailand. They don't have to mail it! And this lab knows how to check on whether the stone has originated from Russia or not.

Very interesting for the ICL/Tsarina information.
Your personal story sounds so nice! I'm glad you found something.
For me, my grandmother had one (likely synthetic- now learning more about the stone), my mom remembers it from when she was a child, and it got stolen- likely by some jealous neighbour. It was a large stone too. But the story of the colour changing ring had always fascinated me, and hence I've wanted to have one in my collection. It can be a colour change garnet too, but why not aim higher, haha to have something with a bit of value and that I can pass on to my kids.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice, forget origin.
It’s very controversial as to whether or not it can be definitive (unless it happens to be found in Antique Russian royal jewels in a Museum)
I’d concentrate on finding the Alexandrite whose colour appeals to you. Make sure you love the daylight colour because that’s the colour you’ll more often enjoy especially as most indoor lights aren’t incandescent these days.
Expect to pay a lot, even for a small gem. Buy a fantastic small gem rather than a larger insipid gem. Even .50 points is a good size. You are paying for the rarity and colour change so make sure you buy an Alexandrite that delivers.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
My advice, forget origin.
It’s very controversial as to whether or not it can be definitive (unless it happens to be found in Antique Russian royal jewels in a Museum)
I’d concentrate on finding the Alexandrite whose colour appeals to you. Make sure you love the daylight colour because that’s the colour you’ll more often enjoy especially as most indoor lights aren’t incandescent these days.
Expect to pay a lot, even for a small gem. Buy a fantastic small gem rather than a larger insipid gem. Even .50 points is a good size. You are paying for the rarity and colour change so make sure you buy an Alexandrite that delivers.

Sound advice. I think thats the route I'm gonna go.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Whats everyones opinion:
I think Im priced at the under 1ct price

Option 1: Strong colour change, slightly included
Option 2: Moderate to strong colour change, eyeclean

If both stones are roughly the same price and size

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
:
I think Im priced at the under 1ct price

Option 1: Strong colour change, slightly included
Option 2: Moderate to strong colour change, eyeclean

If both stones are roughly the same price and size

Tough to judge from text. I'd probably go with whichever one made my heart sing more :razz: Some inclusions don't bother me, and others do.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My concern was I was wondering if a photo of the "alex" in the ring wasn't the one in the photo on the IGI report. I was trying to find one of my IGI reports to see whether they stuck on photos (like in the one in the auction) to see if that was normal for them. However, I don't have anything from IGI in India so can't check. I REALLY have a problem with them putting Russia as a location. Honestly this can't be right and IF the guy selling the ring was as clued up as he says he is, he wouldn't be selling it at that price. So it's fishy.

I was going to suggest you bought a book that is very well written about Russian Alex and then I saw the price! I've got two of these lol - not sure how I ended up with 2! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Alexandrites-Karl-Schmetzer/dp/3510652622

Keep them!:) I asked Dr. Schmetzer for one for a chinese mineralogist and collector - he has none left and publishing company in Germany will not produce new ones.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Worth asking about but my main question would be what colour it goes to in incandescent lighting. They have posted a picture but it's such a weak colour change. One thing is that LED lights mess with the colour change and try to keep the gem in it's daylight colour so I would call them (if you're interested) and ask what they see in incandescent lighting and if they have a returns policy it's worth getting for a look.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Omg @LD this is gorgeous :kiss2:

OP @Cina_s , If I were you I'd get this ring in a heart beat...

Trust me, from experience, it Is so much better to get a teensy alexandrite that is killer than one that is 1ct+ & meh just to be able to say you have one. A killer Alex can make others stop dead in their tracks and go,

"Wtf is your ring doing?"

Meh ones are always too dark and muddy in everyday life..

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if someone already mentioned this, as I did not read through the whole thread. To me it looks like a Sri Lankan, Alex. Sri Lanka is noted for Alex of this type. Could be Tundura,Tanzanian too.

No, it’s not worth as much as stronger color change Alex but for what it is the price is well in line with the industry, but with that said, you're paying for the name of Alexandrite, which overrated in my opinion, except for the finest specimens.

voce

Ideal_Rock
you're paying for the name of Alexandrite, which overrated in my opinion, except for the finest specimens.
Substitute alexandrite for ruby, and that is how I feel about the vast majority of rubies on the market.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Substitute alexandrite for ruby, and that is how I feel about the vast majority of rubies on the market.

Rubies are no prize either. Most of the time.Though my wife has a beautiful no heat Mozambique cluster ruby ring, about 3 carats worth, with a carat plus center. The stones are exceptional. Other than that, give me red spinel anyday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results