shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I do well with this Peridot purchase?

rokor

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone. I recently bought a stone with the purpose of setting it in a ring, but just wanted to confirm as the appraisal seems a bit otherworldly in it's valuation($21000 and some change) that it is indeed a valuable Peridot. I personally find it beautiful with it's inclusions but that's besides the fact, I'm hoping someone can comment on the accuracy of the appraised value and whether or not this stone has real value at all. It's 8.82ct, and here are two photos.
peridot1.PNG
peridot2.PNG
Thanks for any opinions or comments!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peridot has better value when it is clean. I'd say the person doing the valuation is smoking something strong. I would say it has some value but not much.

rokor

Rough_Rock
I suspected the valuation was done by someone not so knowledgeable, because what little I know about the stones I figured they were more valuable with less inclusions as well. Thank you for your response.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Trade ideal for peridot is probably something like this: an intense bright green with good clarity, although this example also has rutile needles. Even a stone like this in a large size wouldn’t be valued at $21,000 because peridot is pretty common and doesn’t fetch high prices like the rarer greens like emerald, tsavorite, demantoid etc. Sad truth even though it’s my birthstone.

The peridot you bought is interesting and pretty in its own way. It has a moody atmosphere created by the needles.
D68BB49D-3BB7-4CAC-B9F4-3B5BC5090E2C.jpeg

ETA: the GIA website is a good place to find out what trade ideal is like for each gemstone since they have photographs and examples.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That valuation is insane and nowhere near accurate. The value in the stone you posted is very low because it's not clean and not bright. That doesn't mean you shouldn't like it or buy it, but definitely dont buy it as an investment, to sell later, or as something monetarily valuable.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you pay for it?

rokor

Rough_Rock
What did you pay for it?

I got a great deal for it on ebay, almost the cost of shipping for the other 3 items I ordered from the same vendor so I don't have much invested. I just found it very unique in that I don't often see Peridots for sale with inclusions of this amount or tone of green. I think it will make a great sterling silver ring for what it is I paid and in my opinion has a bit more character than the ideal Peridot which I also think is great.

Thank you peacechick for that bit of information. I've been using gem society but unfortunately they don't have photos assigned to their valuations so it takes some digging to find what an "ideal" gem looks like when using their charts. It's much more convenient to go about it through GIA it seems.

Over all I suppose I'm satisfied, though admittedly having a $21000 valuation would have brightened my day a bit more. I suppose that's why I'm more of a ruby and pearl guy, they're well within my comfort zone compared to things like even an emerald. Thanks folks!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For $21 that’s a good buy.
Peridot are a semi precious gemstone so generally not very expensive. As with most coloured gem, value increases with colour and clarity. For peridot a “top colour” would be a vivid apple green colour. Peridot are normally reasonably clean.
However, sometimes when gemstones have inclusions, it can add value or add to uniqueness / collectivity/ beauty.
Peridot with Rutile inclusions are called Ludvegite Peridot.
Sapphires when they have rutile inclusions can become “star sapphires”. Dematoid garnets with “horsetail inclusions” command a higher price. Rainbow lattice Sunstone from the Hart Ranges here in Australia is one of the most fascination gems with inclusions in my humble opinion. 96BDF4A7-8977-44A4-8F93-DEFE2D34529B.jpeg
I have an aquamarine cabochon where it’s the inclusions that “make” the gem. BF5D504C-C4BC-41A9-8014-22A4893F7E94.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it was $21 then no big deal.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got a great deal for it on ebay, almost the cost of shipping for the other 3 items I ordered from the same vendor so I don't have much invested. I just found it very unique in that I don't often see Peridots for sale with inclusions of this amount or tone of green. I think it will make a great sterling silver ring for what it is I paid and in my opinion has a bit more character than the ideal Peridot which I also think is great.

Thank you peacechick for that bit of information. I've been using gem society but unfortunately they don't have photos assigned to their valuations so it takes some digging to find what an "ideal" gem looks like when using their charts. It's much more convenient to go about it through GIA it seems.

Over all I suppose I'm satisfied, though admittedly having a $21000 valuation would have brightened my day a bit more. I suppose that's why I'm more of a ruby and pearl guy, they're well within my comfort zone compared to things like even an emerald. Thanks folks!

Love the darker colour of your peridot !

rokor

Rough_Rock
Slightly more than $21 to be fair, haha, but not super far off. I was a bit captivated and confused by the appraisal though, thinking maybe there was a logistical error and the appraiser meant to put 210.00 instead of 21000, but the exact number was 21,585 so it's unlikely they would have gone down to the pennies on this one. It's something I'll look into once the gem and the appraisal arrive, it's a mystery to me for sure.

Thank you so much Daisys and Diamonds! I think it's quite beautiful as well, it should age well with the silver I intend to use as a setting.

Bron, those are both beautiful stones, very unique! I'm not surprised to hear that there are beautiful formations of inclusions out and about, though I personally don't like star sapphires too much.

Last edited:

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Slightly more than $21 to be fair, haha, but not super far off. I was a bit captivated and confused by the appraisal though, thinking maybe there was a logistical error and the appraiser meant to put 210.00 instead of 21000, but the exact number was 21,585 so it's unlikely they would have gone down to the pennies on this one. It's something I'll look into once the gem and the appraisal arrive, it's a mystery to me for sure.

Thank you so much Daisys and Diamonds! I think it's quite beautiful as well, it should age well with the silver I intend to use as a setting.

Bron, those are both beautiful stones, very unique! I'm not surprised to hear that there are beautiful formations of inclusions out and about, though I personally don't like star sapphires too much.

I'm not sure anyone would really sell a gem for that amount if it were truly worth anywhere near that valuation. Or at least, I hope they wouldn't for their own sanity?

The peridot in my avatar is one I got recently. I never quite liked any peridot colors until I started searching for this one.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
That valuation is so far off base it may as well be from mars...peridot is most valuable when large, clean and no brown overtones, less yellow and more grass green. I have tons of it, some was cheaper than others. I have a pendant I paid $2000 for that appraised for more than $16,000. I think my appraisal is very generous, and the retail value, while higher than I paid is no where near that. I have a pair of Burmese 8x10 studs I may have overpaid for at $500, but they are a wonderful cut and colour. I am rambling a bit, aren't I? To sum up, if you like it buy it but be aware of price for quality. Yours is an ok price for the stone you got. Appraisals are really subjective.

I have taken my muscle relaxers hence the ramble, sorry guys...

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
That valuation is so far off base it may as well be from mars...peridot is most valuable when large, clean and no brown overtones, less yellow and more grass green. I have tons of it, some was cheaper than others. I have a pendant I paid $2000 for that appraised for more than $16,000. I think my appraisal is very generous, and the retail value, while higher than I paid is no where near that. I have a pair of Burmese 8x10 studs I may have overpaid for at $500, but they are a wonderful cut and colour. I am rambling a bit, aren't I? To sum up, if you like it buy it but be aware of price for quality. Yours is an ok price for the stone you got. Appraisals are really subjective.

I have taken my muscle relaxers hence the ramble, sorry guys...

Could we see this beautiful necklace and earring set please? Honestly, the humble peridot doesn’t get enough love here on CS.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Could we see this beautiful necklace and earring set please? Honestly, the humble peridot doesn’t get enough love here on CS.

I have to take better pics. I will take some and start a thread soon, I promise!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was appraised in 2005 for $21,585?! If you love it, that's what matters. I'm pretty sure the vendor is listed in the "Antiques & Vintage" forum. They do have some gorgeous pieces for sale. Not sure how they ended-up with such an odd appraisal of this.

rokor

Rough_Rock
MrsKMB, that’s correct. I order quite often from them because they tend to stock some high quality pearls and various other higher quality jewelry so I figured I’d gamble on this one a bit. I wasn’t aware they had a presence on here though, that’s interesting. They recently sold a 30ct diamond tennis necklace for just about $5000 and I’m still kicking myself for not bidding on it. I was hoping this one was a similar underpriced situation but live and let learn I guess.

RubyMal, that’s definitely a gorgeous stone you have there. Very refined, much like what I’ve seen from some of the more unique peridots I’ve come across.

MjK1, I’d love to see those pieces as well! I’m curious about the pendant in particular.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
MrsKMB, that’s correct. I order quite often from them because they tend to stock some high quality pearls and various other higher quality jewelry so I figured I’d gamble on this one a bit. I wasn’t aware they had a presence on here though, that’s interesting. They recently sold a 30ct diamond tennis necklace for just about $5000 and I’m still kicking myself for not bidding on it. I was hoping this one was a similar underpriced situation but live and let learn I guess.

RubyMal, that’s definitely a gorgeous stone you have there. Very refined, much like what I’ve seen from some of the more unique peridots I’ve come across.

MjK1, I’d love to see those pieces as well! I’m curious about the pendant in particular.

I have not seen this 30 ct necklace or know who this vendor is. But at $5000, I hate to say this, but I'm sure it was road gravel. Even if it is 40 years old or more.

There is an old saying in any business - "If the price is too good to be true, then it is not true."

Also - "Buyer beware."

Education is the key to making great buys. Do comparative pricing. Do not just pledge your allegiance to one or two vendors. Not saying you do not but I do have to wonder. It is all a learning curve. How fast and well you learn is only relative to the time and willingness to learn and leave those first vendors behind.

Good luck to you and sorry if I am sounding harsh. Just don't like seeing people taken advantage of.

rokor

Rough_Rock
Fredflintstone, it was at auction that it reached $5000, and I believe it ended earlier in the day mid week which very well could have been a contributing factor. I think the stones may have been just slightly higher grade than SI1. I wholeheartedly agree with you and the expression "If the price is too good to be true, then it is not true." for the most part, but I've been bargain hunting mostly fashion for the past 8 years or so and there often comes along something available for a significant discount. For example, 8 brand new italian silk Zilli shirts(I'm not sure if you'll be familiar with this brand, but think Ralph Lauren Purple Label but even more expensive and better quality) for $8.99 at a thrift store. I worked there at the time and luckily knew someone who was shopping at the time I was about to bring the items to stock the wracks, so we got the ones I wanted the most and intended to grab the others during my break. I left two which had been worn(dry cleaning labels attached) and they were gone before I had a chance to get them about 30 minutes later. It's all about being at the right place at the right time, or luck, depending on how you look at it. I refuse to believe there aren't bargains to be found in the jewelry market given how much misinformation there is and the landscape of the secondary market.

You are again right when it comes down to being informed correctly. This is where I see opportunity in the jewelry market, simple mistakes like rubies marked as garnet or coloured diamonds tagged as sapphires are the types of situations I look for, but you can never be too educated on a topic as wide as jewelry. Thank you as well, you don't sound harsh at all.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Fredflintstone, it was at auction that it reached $5000, and I believe it ended earlier in the day mid week which very well could have been a contributing factor. I think the stones may have been just slightly higher grade than SI1. I wholeheartedly agree with you and the expression "you get what you pay for" for the most part, but I've been bargain hunting mostly fashion for the past 8 years or so and there often comes along something available for a significant discount. For example, 8 brand new italian silk Zilli shirts(I'm not sure if you'll be familiar with this brand, but think Ralph Lauren Purple Label but even more expensive and better quality) for $8.99 at a thrift store. I worked there at the time and luckily knew someone who was shopping at the time I was about to bring the items to stock the wracks, so we got the ones I wanted the most and intended to grab the others during my break. I left two which had been worn(dry cleaning labels attached) and they were gone before I had a chance to get them about 30 minutes later. It's all about being at the right place at the right time, or luck, depending on how you look at it. I refuse to believe there aren't bargains to be found in the jewelry market given how much misinformation there is and the landscape of the secondary market.

You cannot equate silk shirts to jewelry, especially a 30-carat diamond piece of jewelry. Sorry, you cannot.

No one puts a 30-carat diamond necklace on auction & only realizes $5000.00 unless it was either one of bad quality. Two, desperate need of money.

One only puts quality jewelry on auction at Christie's, Sotheby’s, Bonhams, or very private auctions to the rich.

40 years I was in the gemstone business. I know.

Take it for what it is worth to you. I hope you take it to heart.
. =)2

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@fredflintstone The seller is DoverJewelry on eBay. Over 48,000 100% positive feedback, which is why I was so surprised by this appraisal.

I have zero opinion of them or their items' value, so don't think this is a post defending them or their items. It's purely an fyi post.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Where does rokor say that? I do not see, "Dover Jewelry" on this thread.

But I did take a look real quick. The first thing I seen was a pair of Diamond/Pearl earrings, advertised as estate. $8,999.00. 7.50 carats of Diamonds.

Thanks!

rokor

Rough_Rock
Do you guys think a 4.00ct pear cut CVD diamond would ever sell for $123? I know this isn't the place to ask but it relates to our previous exchange and I don't want to start a new thread for something like this.

EDIT: I specifically left out the vendors name so as to not draw attention to the purchases I'll be making in the future, but you're right Fredflintson, I never mentioned that vendor in particular.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
That's an 'interesting' valuation for that peridot! It has character with those inclusions though.

I have a small crystal of peridot from Pakistan that is gemmy and a beautiful lively grass green colour:
Peridot Pakistan.JPG

It's 20 mm from tip to tip. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but probably around £20-25. The best peridots these days are coming from Pakistan.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
That's an 'interesting' valuation for that peridot! It has character with those inclusions though.

I have a small crystal of peridot from Pakistan that is gemmy and a beautiful lively grass green colour:
Peridot Pakistan.JPG

It's 20 mm from tip to tip. I can't remember how much I paid for it, but probably around £20-25. The best peridots these days are coming from Pakistan.

I have heard about the peridot from Pakistan...better than Burmese?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you guys think a 4.00ct pear cut CVD diamond would ever sell for $123? I know this isn't the place to ask but it relates to our previous exchange and I don't want to start a new thread for something like this.

EDIT: I specifically left out the vendors name so as to not draw attention to the purchases I'll be making in the future, but you're right Fredflintson, I never mentioned that vendor in particular.

No. Never. Literally would never happen. You cant get a Cvd 1ct stone for $123.

rokor

Rough_Rock
One was just sold on ebay at that price this morning. SI1 I believe, with a very short description from someone in the US not stating anything about being a diamond or being lab grown, so would have gone past people screening for such things. I'd include the ad here but last time I even posted photos my spot was blown up. My mother bid on it on my behalf but got sniped at the last 7 seconds. Had I known about it prior I would have told her to place a much larger "highest bid". So it happens I guess, people make errors or don't include all the information and it gets by. Lab created is having a moment now as well so I'm beating myself up for not speaking to her 30 minutes earlier than I did.

rokor

Rough_Rock
I only ask because I'm new to MMDs, I thought there was a possibility it would depend on the quality of manufacturing or something strange other than what I've become familiar with since I started looking into gems. It's a shame I wasn't able to grab it, would have been a great piece to own.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results