shape
carat
color
clarity

did a stranger ever ask you...how big is that diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
not strangers..I've gotten OMG that ring is HUGE from strangers (like the clerks in stores)

but I've had acquaintances ask how big is that? I've answered: not sure

I've had 2 ppl rudely ask me how much did the ring cost.

On the bus (nyc) I heard 2 women once say that my ring cannot be real. I LOL to myself.

my favorite Q is: is that real? (from the frenemys)

I also get the ...wow he must love you a bunch mostly from men

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I get a lot "You''r ring is HUGE" and "You''s ring is so beautiful" When people made that comments in front of my DH I can saw you he shines
10.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Not usually no. When i first got it someone asked if it was real. Other than that, aside from family and friends no one''s ever made a comment about my e-ring. It''s pretty understated. No pave work and i don''t wear a blingy wedding band with it.

When I wear my 5 stone, i get a ton of stares as it''s kind of hard not to notice it. I once had to wait for the sales girl in sephora to stop staring before I could ask her a question. She was pretty emabarrassed to be caught.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Never has anyone asked me much about mine. In fact, only 3 total starngers have even commented on it since I got in early December.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
i had a lady giving me ''death stares'' on the train this morning... her eyes nearly popped out of her head when she first saw it, i was about to put my gloves on but when i saw her staring i thought i would leave them off for a bit longer.
1.gif
she also covered up hers.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I have had a number of comments from strangers - I think because my diamond was a bit larger than the average
for my city, and me being a bit younger.
Strangely, I would have the most comments from men, and a couple of times we actually had pretty long chats (about where I got my diamond, how they chose their partner''s one, various specs etc). That was always fun.
Usually I just find I get stares from women - sometimes not pleasant ones, lol..

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I had a few people ask me about the size of my diamond, not the new one though, but my previous 2 carat aca.

I get more compliments/responses from my simon g rings. And I definitely get a lot of comments on my butterfly rings as they are very big and ornamental and just in your face.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I get asked "how big is that diamond' a lot from strangers....

and one time, after I politely replied to this one woman, she said "you must be good in bed"
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

and as for my OEC, one stranger actually commented "that's a nice ring" and next second, she tried to pull it off my finger..
32.gif
32.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I have. It creeps me out. But I am paranoid about a lot of things.

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
i hate when people ask that. I don''t tell anyone the size of it. Not even my friends. Its bigger than most of our friend''s rings and probably bigger than what some of my friends will get. THis is mainly b/c FI and I did our homework and my parent''s had a good relationship with a diamond wholsaler. So people would easily think FI paid double what he did and I just don''t think its anyone''s business.

A friend of a friend, goes "that must be 4 or so carats, right?" its actually under 3, so it just goes to show people have no idea. So I just said, "I have no idea, I''ve never asked about it. I just said thank you when I got it." haha...that tends to make people be quiet.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 10:55:11 AM
Author: grapegravity
I get asked ''how big is that diamond'' a lot from strangers....

and one time, after I politely replied to this one woman, she said ''you must be good in bed''
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

and as for my OEC, one stranger actually commented ''that''s a nice ring'' and next second, she tried to pull it off my finger..
32.gif
32.gif
I can''t find the LOL icon. I laughed so hard reading this.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose I have been fortunate to not be asked such rude questions. My rings have been complimented and asked for a closer look numerous times.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
If a friend asks I''ll tell them the size and other details, but never the cost. When a complete stranger snootily asks, "how big?", I reply, "big enough!", or "is it real", I respond, "Well you see it don''t you!"

As long as the comment or question is sincere and complimentary, I will respond in kind. If you are a jerk, I will treat you like one!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i get the ''someone must really love you'' thing too... i love how people think that the size of your stone correlates with how much love someone has. and since it obviously happens all over the place, that''s SO SAD.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t believe a stranger has ever asked me about the size, but I get comments quite often. Once, when I was taking public transportation after a Cubs game a guy exclaimed something along the lines of "That thing is huge! I could ice skate on it!" and his girlfriend joined in with the exclamations, but they didn''t ask about the size.

It did make me a bit nervous to have all that attention on my ring out in public. (Good thing I hadn''t been at a Sox game, then I really would have felt nervous.)

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 5:55:17 PM
Author: Haven
I don''t believe a stranger has ever asked me about the size, but I get comments quite often. Once, when I was taking public transportation after a Cubs game a guy exclaimed something along the lines of ''That thing is huge! I could ice skate on it!'' and his girlfriend joined in with the exclamations, but they didn''t ask about the size.

It did make me a bit nervous to have all that attention on my ring out in public. (Good thing I hadn''t been at a Sox game, then I really would have felt nervous.)

I know what you mean! You never know what will happen. I used to take the NYC trains and buses all the time and I would either take off my rings or turn them to my palm.

When I was in HS, a group of my friends got mugged by another group of HSers from another HS and I always think about it.

My dad got mugged on the train too and it was full of people.
23.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I''m also very safty consious/paranoid. I wouldn''t want to say anything that draws too much attention to the size or cost of my ring as to not give anyone ideas about liberating it from my finger.

I have also hurd of people asking how much some ones e-ring cost which I think is really rude, like asking a stranger how much money they make.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
People have asked me and I usually tell them. I figure if they have the guts to ask, I don''t mind.
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 10:14:08 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
People have asked me and I usually tell them. I figure if they have the guts to ask, I don't mind.
2.gif
ditto; I have been asked a couple of time. I usually ask when I love the size so that is how I look at it but I don't usually ask strangers though. hehe

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t believe a stranger has ever asked me about the size, but I get comments quite often. Once, when I was taking public transportation after a Cubs game a guy exclaimed something along the lines of ''That thing is huge! I could ice skate on it!'' and his girlfriend joined in with the exclamations, but they didn''t ask about the size.

i flip my ring over A LOT when out in public, because I get so nervous that something will happen. It just looks like a plain silver colored thin band that way.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t recall anyone asking about the size of any of my diamonds. A few times, I''ve been asked color/clarity.

Once I was chatting with a friend with beautiful stud earrings and I asked her about the specs. Not only was she NOT offended, she took the earrings out so I could get a closer look! Now that is cool
2.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Never been asked the size, but I do get comments stating how beautiful it is, how expensive it must of been etc.

Doesn''t bother me to much, I just take it as a big compliment.

I have had a few women who take offense to the fact that my ring is bigger than theirs and I am so much younger than them.. I''ve had one woman actually huff "Thats bullsh*t" and stomp her foot
33.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes my colleagues ask me, but not because it''s big, only because they''re curious

One time a stranger (well i know her through a friend, but we''re not really friends) asked to see my engagement ring, and then said " OMG i can''t believe you''re getting married... You''re so young! Why are you getting married?" Blah blah and then she asked if it came from a local B&M store that she used to work at. I just said "No it isn''t" and walked away...Seriously some people can be so tactless... i should have punched her in the ovaries

JSM

Brilliant_Rock

LOL! Having traveled the red line extensively, I understand what you mean!

As to the question, no, I''ve never been asked. My ring is tiny and I don''t worry about attention on it.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s happened a couple of times - usually, I take it as a compliment. However, once or twice, when I told people it was 2 cts, they said that they thought 2 cts would lookk bigger - can''t please everyone I guess
emcrook.gif

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/24/2009 4:57:23 PM
Author: vespergirl
It''s happened a couple of times - usually, I take it as a compliment. However, once or twice, when I told people it was 2 cts, they said that they thought 2 cts would lookk bigger - can''t please everyone I guess
emcrook.gif
I get that same comment with over 3 carats!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang, I have never gotten any of those comments. In fact, I recently got together with my 11 closest friends for our once a month get together, and no one
noticed that my stone went from a 1.7 to a 2.57! My first was a ACA and my second a Brian Gavin! I purposely didnt mention it though because one of my
friends is going thru serious financial problems and is on the verge of losing her house. So that is really ok.

I guess I need to get out more! I am a SAHM so I dont see a whole lot of people most days!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 10:55:11 AM
Author: grapegravity
I get asked ''how big is that diamond'' a lot from strangers....

and one time, after I politely replied to this one woman, she said ''you must be good in bed''
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

and as for my OEC, one stranger actually commented ''that''s a nice ring'' and next second, she tried to pull it off my finger..
32.gif
32.gif
That''s hilarious! Someone trying to take your ring is NOT!
29.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I get asked "is that two carats" a lot for some reason. Don''t know why, my ring is 1.35. But I like it!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he, I wonder why no stranger has ever asked me?! All they do is stare!
1.gif

Hey DF, I've met some more women in SH with BIG bling, a woman with a RB about 4ct, another one with a fancy yellow cushion/ radiant diamond of about 3ct and yet another one with a RB stone of abt 2ct. The latter was also wearing studs and diamond bracelets. This was only on a casual dinner out.

(Ok, I kind of cheated, DF, these women have lived overseas
2.gif
and they're also at the top of their profession and/ or have loads of money - one was the MD of a large MNC, another was a qualified architect who also owns several properties in Shanghai and the other two are rich tai-tais. I was the only one with more modest means
4.gif
- really, I swear!).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results