shape
carat
color
clarity

did a stranger ever ask you...how big is that diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
on your finger? if yes,what was your reaction? what did you say to them?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not ever. I don''t know why, but I assume it''s because most people except jewellery store workers think it''s just a big old fake! Jewellers seem to know the difference immediately. If someone asked, I would tell them.
41.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
No but sometimes I catch people checking my ring out when I''m standing on the T. Then again, I do the same to other people. It''s one of my favorite past times.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have gotten how big, is it real?? , wow he must really love you, did you just clean it cause no diamond sparkles like that... Oh I could go on and on...
5.gif
First I say thank you and find something they are wearing and compliment their piece. I deflect the attention away from me and put it on them... I think people love talking about themselves and their pieces..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Occasionally from strangers. More often from friends and family though by far. Haha, I knew one of my friends was thinking about proposing when he asked me how big my diamond was. He's a 23 year old engineer who has never shown any interest in jewelery, there's only one reason I know for him to ask that question... Especially when his answer was "oh. huh. good to know, thanks"

My ring and i get some odd looks sometimes, partially because it's a lovely diamond, and partially because I am routinely mistaken for a high school student..(when I went to get my new state ID after moving to attend graduate school, the guy next to me at the DMV asked if I was there to get my learner's permit)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 10:43:19 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I have gotten how big, is it real?? , wow he must really love you, did you just clean it cause no diamond sparkles like that... Oh I could go on and on...
5.gif
First I say thank you and find something they are wearing and compliment their piece. I deflect the attention away from me and put it on them... I think people love talking about themselves and their pieces..

I get the "He must really love you!" thing all the time, or used to with my real diamond. (I still get it now, but they don''t know what I''m wearing.) Apparently the size of my diamond directly correlates with my husbands love.
20.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I get that question a lot [can''t imagine why - LOL!]. I just tell them the weight and thank them if they said something nice about it [which they usually do].

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:08:20 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I get that question a lot [can''t imagine why - LOL!]. I just tell them the weight and thank them if they said something nice about it [which they usually do].

Um..yea, if I saw you on the T I''d be staring at your jewelry, definitely! Then again I''d probably be having a conversation with you if I saw you on the T!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:05:16 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Date: 6/19/2009 10:43:19 PM
Author: Kaleigh
5.gif

I get the ''He must really love you!'' thing all the time, or used to with my real diamond. (I still get it now, but they don''t know what I''m wearing.) Apparently the size of my diamond directly correlates with my husbands love.
20.gif
I know and think the same....
24.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get "Are they real?" more than "How big are they?".

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
mostly by friends, not so much strangers

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Occasionally by friends, occasionally by strangers - my favorite was the salesguy in my local comic book shop. After I told him it was a carat and a half, he said, "Oh, okay, I was thinking like a carat and a quarter." Which ... well, either he''s a snippy little fella, or he was trying to ballpark it for his own future plans and had a severe tact imbalance. Either way, dude, consider your phrasing!

mysterylover

Rough_Rock
A stranger would get a look that would effectively end the discussion about my bling.

A friend would get a straight answer.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how bout telling someone the size in mm?
31.gif
what kind of look or response would you get then
33.gif

but i just catch them looking like i do at others too.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Most of the time, other women just look and smile; I smile back
9.gif

Only once was I asked whether they were real, and then I gave them the look. No further comments were necessary.

Like Lisa, if I receive a compliment, I thank the person and then find something about them to admire and compliment them on.
36.gif

3Rocks

Shiny_Rock
I got this occasionally. Just recently because I just got my e-ring recently. Once from a SA at Macy''s, she said she didn''t know that a diamond could sparkle with so many colors. FYI, she works at the jewelry counter and I was there with my FI looking at w-band. My FI caught strangers looking at my ring finger when we were having lunch at a mall food court.

I do this to others too. Actually I would outright compliment their ring and not just looking. Some ppl would shy away and some would volunteer more information. My senior wear a 3 carat wedding set. A three stone princess cut e-ring and a five stone w-band. I think I went gaga looking at her set. Of course then I find PS and I don''t think her set is all that anymore.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 11:51:16 AM
Author: D&T
how bout telling someone the size in mm?
31.gif
what kind of look or response would you get then
33.gif

but i just catch them looking like i do at others too.
that''s exactly what i said to one of my wife''s friend when she asked how big my wife''s diamond was,i said...XX mm
31.gif
then her friend just got confused
9.gif

btw; my wife really doesn''t know the specs on any her diamonds,but i do
16.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
People can be so dumb!!!

Just the other day I actually had someone say to me, "Gosh! That ring is huge; but it must be fake, it sparkles too much to be real."

Um, helllooooo?????
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I always answer any questions. It''s flattering, just the same as if someone is curious about my purse or shoes or jacket. I would never deflect or ignore them...IMO, that''s rude.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I had the trainer at the gym where I was signing up for a new membership ask "what is it - a carat and a half?" To be fair I had just mentioned being engaged as part of my motivation for signing up, but his response was "yeah, I noticed that rock." I was stunned that he would actually throw at a number like that, I think I stuttered something like "oh, not quite." (It''s actually 1.23, and none of his business :) )

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually just get comments on my ring being pretty, only rarely get asked the details. Once when I was getting my nails done, an elderly woman was sitting next to me and commented on how big my diamond is and that it ''must be wonderful to be so financially stable at such young age''. Um, that''s awkward!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 11:16:21 PM
Author: kama_s
I usually just get comments on my ring being pretty, only rarely get asked the details. Once when I was getting my nails done, an elderly woman was sitting next to me and commented on how big my diamond is and that it ''must be wonderful to be so financially stable at such young age''. Um, that''s awkward!
yes, that would be awkward what do you say?

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2009 11:58:12 PM
Author: D&T

Date: 6/20/2009 11:16:21 PM
Author: kama_s
yes, that would be awkward what do you say?
Ah, I said she''d have to ask my fiance since the purchase was made by him and that I am still in graduate school! I''m sure her (strange) comment came from a nice place, so I didn''t want to be sarcastic/snippy!

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
I''m always kind of shocked at how direct strangers are and then I just tell them the truth...it''s a little over 3 carats...and then if they say anything nice about it I just say thanks.

What I really don''t like is if someone puts their finger right on the table and yucks it up! Geesh
29.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the time by people I know (colleagues, friends, families) but never strangers. The latter just stare and comment on how big it is. Now that I have the BGD studs too, I get people staring at my face and then my hands, all the time!

The other day though I saw this lady wearing this HUGE and super-sparkly diamond ring (DF, there are ladies with large diamonds in Shanghai, but admitedly most don''t wear even any diamond at all) in a restaurant and *I* couldn''t stop staring, LOL. It must have been at least 4.5-5 carat.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix,
With your diamonds, you better believe that I would stare at you too, probably looking like this -->
3.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I get asked on a pretty much daily basis by customers at work. Since people are thinking about the antique jewelry we sell, they usually notice mine, especially since it is pretty hard to miss when I am wrapping their stuff on the counter in front of them. I usually have at least one conversation about my jewelry with a customer per day, often a lot more. Mostly people are very nice, but very nosy.

Typical questions, in order of how often I hear them: Did you get that here? [The antique mall I work at.] Is that old? How big is it? Is it real? What did you pay for it? Is it for sale? Did you inherit that? Is it your wedding ring? Is it insured? Can I try it on?

i also have a lot of people tell me about their inherited antique stone, which is nearly always bigger than mine but they don''t wear it. And I do get the "your husband must love you a lot!" comment frequently, which always ticks me off. my husband loved me just as much when i had a .20 ct stone!

I don''t care about the size question- it doesn''t seem too intrusive to me and i''ll tell them with no problem. Usually people guess anywhere from 2 to 5 cts. one lady I see frequently, who has a beautiful 3 ct stone of her own, always laments that mine looks so much bigger than hers. (I don''t think so, but hers is solitaire set and mine has a halo, so i think the halo throws her off.)

of all the questions I get, asking how much it cost tends to be the one that irritates me the most, with the "wow your husband loves you" as a very close second. The is-it-real thing doesn''t bug me unless someone is trying to be rude about it- usually they just mean "gee your ring is pretty and you look really young to have a honkin rock, and I have no mental filter and blurt out things without thinking."

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Telling a stranger how big my diamond is and if it real is something that I will always avoid. You never know who you are dealing with and there is no reason IMO to attract that kind of negative attention. For all you know they are waiting in the parking lot after your self disclosing/self gratifying conversation. Do you all tell strangers how much money you have in your bank account too??? I simply say thank you for the compliment, my husband spent alot of time picking out the stone and he knows all of the details.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2009 1:20:10 AM
Author: Phoenix
All the time by people I know (colleagues, friends, families) but never strangers. The latter just stare and comment on how big it is. Now that I have the BGD studs too, I get people staring at my face and then my hands, all the time!

The other day though I saw this lady wearing this HUGE and super-sparkly diamond ring (DF, there are ladies with large diamonds in Shanghai, but admitedly most don''t wear even any diamond at all) in a restaurant and *I* couldn''t stop staring, LOL. It must have been at least 4.5-5 carat.
cuz you just move there
9.gif
i heard the avg E-ring in China is around 1/3 ct.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
A lady noticed my e ring at the checkout, she told me it was beautiful, i said thank you, she asked if it was in platinum, i said white gold.

She then proceeded to tell me that her 2 pet rockweilers had recently passed away and that she was having their ashes sent over to a company in the east that was going to have them made into a diamond!!!

She was so terribly excited about the whole thing. She had thought she wanted a pair of earrings but she would be distraught if she lost one, so she was having one made for a ring instead.
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results