shape
carat
color
clarity

Diaper Cake - instructions and photo

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I had to make a diaper cake for my friend's shower this week so I thought I'd post some tips as I know there have been questions in the past on how to make one.

This YouTube Video is great for step by step instructions. I followed the instructions with size 1 diapers and did the layer diaper count as suggested. I really like this flat diaper cake method vs the rolling because it takes less time and looks neater (and more professional). It's also easier to get it into a perfect circle than rolled up diaper cakes.

I did a couple of things differently than the video suggests...

1. I took the scrap ribbon (I used 2 inch white transparentish ribbon) and tied tightly, double knotting. Then I cut the ends off.
2. I took the final ribbon and used double sided tape to tack the final ribbon onto the scrap ribbon to make sure my ribbon was even. I used 4" purple ribbon over the white scrap ribbon, which I kept in place. I did this because the scrap ribbon really held everything tightly and the final ribbon was nowhere near as tight. This way I got to concentrate on making it look nice vs trying to keep the piece together. I glue gunned it at the seams and also glue tacked anywhere that needed holding.

A couple of pics below. It's really easy to do...I'm not crafty so if I can do it, no need to pay a pro to do it for sure (I was shocked at how much these diaper cakes run!)

DSC_2651aa.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
full view

DSC_2654a.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did a fantastic job, well done!!!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
so cute!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Wow TGal-You did a great job! that really looks professional
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Awesome!
36.gif
It''s beautiful! Love the colours.

I got a diaper cake after my DD was born and really appreciated it.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Too cute, TG!

I received two at my "family" shower this past Sunday. Had never seen one in person before then, so I was fascinated with how it was put together/decorated (i''m not crafty either!)

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
TGal, great job!!! I love it!
36.gif

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job, TGal! I always wondered why they cost so much on Etsy - that is, until I realized they require a billion diapers to make!
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks all!

Date: 5/21/2010 3:03:27 PM
Author: puppmom
Great job, TGal! I always wondered why they cost so much on Etsy - that is, until I realized they require a billion diapers to make!
9.gif
puppmom, that''s the thing about the flat diaper cake...it doesn''t take too many. 96 size one diapers. Pampers has a box of 66 for about $18, not on sale. You can probably find better than that.

Also the nice thing about this style cake is that it''s easy for the mom to use the diapers...she doesn''t have to unroll a million diapers. Just take off the ribbon that''s wrapped around and enjoy. I think it''s a bit more sanitary since minimal touching is required to make it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I skimmed the pics and I thought "oh, pretty baby cake!"

Then I looked and read more carefully and OMG those are diapers?!
23.gif

Obviously, neither I nor any of my friends are preparing for children
3.gif

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
wow! That''s the cutest diaper cake I have ever seen!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Great job!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
tgal- you rock--that is an awesome cake. I''m embarrassed to admit i never even heard of a diaper cake before. Your friend will be thrilled!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Amazing job Tgal!!!!!

There is only one thing I am disappointed with though.... you can''t eat it!!!
9.gif

Isn''t that a bit mean? To give a preggo woman a huge cake that she can''t eat
11.gif
31.gif

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it be rude to request one for my shower?
31.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results