shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond with Knot

Renae Sims

Rough_Rock
My question is for John P. I do not know how to contact him directly but, I know he is from the Dallas area. I am looking at purchasing the following diamond from Diamonds Direct and would like John's input. This is a 1.41 I VS2 diamond. The report shows a knot on the pavilion side. I am also concerned with the clump of clouds (I think) on the right half of the table. The measurements look good to me but I am not a diamond expert. Would the knot or clouds be a cause for concern?

1620265421326.png 1620265421326.png

Attachments

• GIA 1378944796.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 12

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The word "knot" wouldn't be mind clean for me so I'd pass on any stones with that word on its report. That just me.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
John works for Pricescope on the education.
I feel it is not appropriate to ask him for an opinion like this.

But I am happy to tell you - the knot is on the pavilion side and with all those other inclusions it is going to be eye clean. A knot that breaks the surface of the crown looks yucky in reflected light.
1.41ct in nice proportions like this stone are very hard to find.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The biggest danger with a knot is that the crystal gets knocked out leaving a large hole and lowering the clarity grade as well as being eye visisible once it fills with gunk.
There is far less chance of that happening with a small knot on the pavilion than on the crown.
So as long as the crystal is secure I dont have a huge problem with small knots on the pavilion.
That said if the stone is not something special I would consider passing on it for one without a knot if available.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
My question is for John P. I do not know how to contact him directly but, I know he is from the Dallas area. I am looking at purchasing the following diamond from Diamonds Direct and would like John's input. This is a 1.41 I VS2 diamond. The report shows a knot on the pavilion side.

Hello @Renae Sims . Welcome to PriceScope!

I still live in DFW (howdy). As Garry mentioned, I now have a role with PriceScope. You're getting great input from the community. This section on our Diamond Clarity page may also be helpful.

Renae Sims

Rough_Rock

But I am happy to tell you - the knot is on the pavilion side and with all those other inclusions it is going to be eye clean. A knot that breaks the surface of the crown looks yucky in reflected light.

From your comments I gather that this is a nice stone and I should not be worried about any of the inclusions.
Thank you for your reply. I mentioned John P because I saw he had replied to other comments and he is in the Dallas area where I am located.

Last edited:

Renae Sims

Rough_Rock

I want to make sure I understand that you think this diamond is good. when you mention "with all those other inclusions" you still think it is eye clean. Want to make sure you did not mean "it is not going to be eye clean. This is a large purchase for me and I wan to make sure I will be happy with it for a long time.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I want to make sure I understand that you think this diamond is good. when you mention "with all those other inclusions" you still think it is eye clean. Want to make sure you did not mean "it is not going to be eye clean. This is a large purchase for me and I wan to make sure I will be happy with it for a long time.

Hi @Renae Sims . It's around 2AM for Garry so I'll clarify.

Just added to our Diamond Clarity page:

Number of Inclusions

The number of inclusions listed on a report doesn’t correlate to whether a diamond is eye-clean. Here again, the clarity grade is most meaningful: Grades VS2 and above are typically eye-clean, with rare exceptions. In fact, VS2 diamonds (and many diamonds in the SI range) are often more likely to be eye-clean if several inclusions are listed, rather than a single inclusion which set the overall grade by itself. This is especially true for step-cuts like emeralds and Asschers, with long, flat facets which are more transparent and revealing.

I hope that's helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results