shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond turns dark Outside?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Ok new here and clueless. I bought a new diamond and it looks ok inside but when I take it outside in the sunlight it looks like it turns *dark*. What would cause that? Besides it being a piece of junk?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Welcome!

Can you post a pic? I think I know what you are seeing, many well cut diamonds can look almost black in direct sun, this is normal and mine do it. I should be able to find some more info and photos for you, be back shortly....

There is a video here, I think it is In the Conservatory by Garry Holloway which shows this effect if my memory serves me correctly.

http://diamondscope.pricescope.com/?src=GarryhPro.wmv

A couple of threads which will explain more.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-well-cut-stones-go-dark.79488/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-does-my-diamond-do-this-dark-in-sunlight.37481/

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is normal for diamonds to turn a greyish color in bright direct sunlight. If they have strong flour, then they can turn bluish or yellowish.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei the second link you posted was a HUGE help.

I''ll have to get it checked out by someone more knowledgeable. It scared me since I''ve never seen anything like that. The only ones I have to compare it to are one OEC and one that has a high blue florescence.

This one just looks *different*. I can''t quite put my finger on it, and then when it did that - geez louise!

Thanks for your help

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Are Ideal Cut diamonds the *only* diamonds that do this?

Did I accidentally buy a gem :)

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 1:47:22 PM
Author: allowingtoo
They return lights better and have better contrast pattern, thus the view.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2009 1:47:22 PM
Author: allowingtoo

Not in my experience, my diamond is not an ideal cut and does it too but I am sure yours is a gem also! And I am glad to help, thats what I am here for!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
All the well cut diamonds I''ve seen go dark in direct sun- like a dark grey color with tons of bright fire. I personally think it looks wonderful; others don''t care for it at all. A poorly cut OEC I took outside did not go dark nearly as much. I tend to think it is only something that diamonds with pretty good light return do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Guess What: Dispersion and Fire Aren't the Same Thing
    Men In Pearls
    Men In Pearls
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti

Need expert help finding that diamonds?

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.