shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond turns dark Outside?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Ok new here and clueless. I bought a new diamond and it looks ok inside but when I take it outside in the sunlight it looks like it turns *dark*. What would cause that? Besides it being a piece of junk?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Welcome!

Can you post a pic? I think I know what you are seeing, many well cut diamonds can look almost black in direct sun, this is normal and mine do it. I should be able to find some more info and photos for you, be back shortly....

There is a video here, I think it is In the Conservatory by Garry Holloway which shows this effect if my memory serves me correctly.

http://diamondscope.pricescope.com/?src=GarryhPro.wmv

A couple of threads which will explain more.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-well-cut-stones-go-dark.79488/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-does-my-diamond-do-this-dark-in-sunlight.37481/

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is normal for diamonds to turn a greyish color in bright direct sunlight. If they have strong flour, then they can turn bluish or yellowish.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei the second link you posted was a HUGE help.

I''ll have to get it checked out by someone more knowledgeable. It scared me since I''ve never seen anything like that. The only ones I have to compare it to are one OEC and one that has a high blue florescence.

This one just looks *different*. I can''t quite put my finger on it, and then when it did that - geez louise!

Thanks for your help

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Are Ideal Cut diamonds the *only* diamonds that do this?

Did I accidentally buy a gem :)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 1:47:22 PM
Author: allowingtoo
They return lights better and have better contrast pattern, thus the view.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2009 1:47:22 PM
Author: allowingtoo

Not in my experience, my diamond is not an ideal cut and does it too but I am sure yours is a gem also! And I am glad to help, thats what I am here for!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
All the well cut diamonds I''ve seen go dark in direct sun- like a dark grey color with tons of bright fire. I personally think it looks wonderful; others don''t care for it at all. A poorly cut OEC I took outside did not go dark nearly as much. I tend to think it is only something that diamonds with pretty good light return do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results