shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond true hearts help!

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Hello my friends!
I just recently joined pricescope, and this is my first post!

Just recently, my husband upgraded my wedding set for our 5 year anniversary next month. I went through James Allen and had a terrific experience! The diamond I selected is beautiful and is the best sparkler I have personally ever seen! It is small but packs a glorious rainbow punch!

It is a .54 carat round brilliant. I am coming to you wonderful folks to see if I should stick with this particular diamond or switch to another with better performance! The crown angle on the particular diamond I have is a bit steep at 36 degrees. I wonder if I should switch from just a GIA excellent to a James Allen true hearts! I spent about $1030 for this diamond I have and can’t really go over much more, as we just don’t have the means to do so unfortunately. I am thankful for this beautiful upgrade as is.

Below is the link to the true hearts diamond I am looking at, as well as the proportions.

Table: 58%
Depth: 59.5%
Crown angle: 33%
Pavillion Angle: 40.8%
Oh the SI2 grade is for a cloud that is visible on the table. I’m not sure if that would inhibit light performance.

I am such an indecisive person and am still within the 30 days refund/exchange period. I just don’t want to settle for something if there is an even better contender within my budget!

thank you all so much!!

Reactions: AV_

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the GIA report for the one that you currently have?

And give us the link if you have the old link for it at JA.

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Here is the GIA report. I tried pulling up the link but it’s no longer showing it! Bummer.

DCD8BF67-DBEE-4834-A806-0485B1F4B9A9.png 056485D6-A562-4DE1-A5D6-55FD693B582D.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello my friends!
I just recently joined pricescope, and this is my first post!

Just recently, my husband upgraded my wedding set for our 5 year anniversary next month. I went through James Allen and had a terrific experience! The diamond I selected is beautiful and is the best sparkler I have personally ever seen! It is small but packs a glorious rainbow punch!

It is a .54 carat round brilliant. I am coming to you wonderful folks to see if I should stick with this particular diamond or switch to another with better performance! The crown angle on the particular diamond I have is a bit steep at 36 degrees. I wonder if I should switch from just a GIA excellent to a James Allen true hearts! I spent about $1030 for this diamond I have and can’t really go over much more, as we just don’t have the means to do so unfortunately. I am thankful for this beautiful upgrade as is.

Below is the link to the true hearts diamond I am looking at, as well as the proportions.

Table: 58%
Depth: 59.5%
Crown angle: 33%
Pavillion Angle: 40.8%
Oh the SI2 grade is for a cloud that is visible on the table. I’m not sure if that would inhibit light performance.

I am such an indecisive person and am still within the 30 days refund/exchange period. I just don’t want to settle for something if there is an even better contender within my budget!

thank you all so much!!

I'm a bit confused. The specs you posted dont match the gia cert at all.

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
So sorry for the confusion. In the original post, the specs and link are for a diamond on JA that I am currently looking at. I haven’t bought it. The GIA certificate I posted is for the diamond I CURRENTLY have here at home with me. I will post the pictures of the diamond on JA that I am looking at, which has not been purchased yet. Sorry bout that.

Attachments

• 18FBBBCF-41F5-4FD5-BF86-E67D7741EF3A.png
    18FBBBCF-41F5-4FD5-BF86-E67D7741EF3A.png
    645.1 KB · Views: 27
  • AF375A4D-64F8-456D-805A-537F390E5944.png
    AF375A4D-64F8-456D-805A-537F390E5944.png
    352 KB · Views: 25

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry for the confusion. In the original post, the specs and link are for a diamond on JA that I am currently looking at. I haven’t bought it. The GIA certificate I posted is for the diamond I CURRENTLY have here at home with me. I will post the pictures of the diamond on JA that I am looking at, which has not been purchased yet. Sorry bout that.

I like the true hearts one you are considering. It's a 60/60 style cut, but the images and pics look really nice. Without seeing your current diamond it's hard to compare. But I would worry about the 36 crown.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new one does gain you some size. The look may be different from your current stone because of the crown difference but without seeing
an up-close link of the one you have its hard to say. I think its worth looking at the new one.

Can you order the new one and compare them in person...then keep the one you like and send the other one back? May not be an option for you.

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! Do y’all think the little cloud on the table will be a problem? Like would it be visible or would it inhibit light return?

Do you think this diamond would have lots of fire? That’s what I love about my current diamond...the fire is tremendous in the right lighting!

Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This one might be another one I would consider depending on the specs, same size as the one you posted but the color doesn’t lean towards yellow, it’s more in the grey family

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
This one might be another one I would consider depending on the specs, same size as the one you posted but the color doesn’t lean towards yellow, it’s more in the grey family

Thank you for finding this! I plugged in the desired depth and table percentages and this diamond didn’t show up. Hmmm

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both! Do y’all think the little cloud on the table will be a problem? Like would it be visible or would it inhibit light return?

Do you think this diamond would have lots of fire? That’s what I love about my current diamond...the fire is tremendous in the right lighting!

It sounds like you love your stone and it’s very appealing to the eye, no? The only thing bothering you is the 36 crown?

I dunno, if your stone is already visually appealing I’m trying to understand why the change of heart? PS is wonderful! But it can cast a shadow of doubt on something you already love. I know bc the same thing happened to me.

Sometimes taking a step back is best. JMHO.

Before purchasing another stone I’d actually love to see your current sparkle bomb!

Of course the heart wants what it wants and if you want another stone go for it!

My ER is not ideal per PS standards but it’s perfect for me. :)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for finding this! I plugged in the desired depth and table percentages and this diamond didn’t show up. Hmmm

Not sure what you used but I put in table 58%, depth 62%

Kristen18

Rough_Rock

It sounds like you love your stone and it’s very appealing to the eye, no? The only thing bothering you is the 36 crown?

I dunno, if your stone is already visually appealing I’m trying to understand why the change of heart? PS is wonderful! But it can cast a shadow of doubt on something you already love. I know bc the same thing happened to me.

Sometimes taking a step back is best. JMHO.

Before purchasing another stone I’d actually love to see your current sparkle bomb!

Of course the heart wants what it wants and if you want another stone go for it!

My ER is not ideal per PS standards but it’s perfect for me. :)

Thank you so much for that! I really do love my current stone! I have just noticed in certain lightings the stone can look kind of blah haha. But honestly it’s probably something most diamonds do, depending on light situation. To be honest, I am afraid if I switch stones the new one won’t be as fiery! I love the fire so much in this one. I was just making sure I shouldn’t switch to a true hearts since technically those are supposed to be cut the best. But not sure it’s worth the hassle of doing an exchange at this point, especially since it’ll take a good 1-2 months to get my ring back with everything going on right now!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
My stone turns dark and looks blah inside my car due to black interior. Just to give you some perspective. :)

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
My stone turns dark and looks blah inside my car due to black interior. Just to give you some perspective. :)

Thanks for your perspective! Sometimes in the house it’ll look kinda bland if it’s cloudy outside and there’s not a ton of direct light coming in through the windows. Or outside on a cloudy day, or some certain types of light bulbs. Ha! I’m probably just being picky.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a diamond expert at all, not one bit. However, I have noticed that most diamonds look better in certain lights than in other lights. And each diamond is unique in which light it performs best (probably based on the angles and numbers I don't fully understand.)

My diamond is opposite yours in that mine looks killer on overcast days, and low, evening light. But mine looks far less sparkly in bright, direct sunlight. Yours is a sparkly bomb in bright light, and that's awesome!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think each diamond has its own personality. And like us humans, can't be electric 100% of the time in every single environment.

Here's something I'd consider far more if I were you: how is the upgrade policy where you are purchasing your diamond? For me, I'd only purchase through a vendor with an amazing upgrade policy, no matter how much I like my current diamond. You never know where life will take you, so its always good to have future options.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Kristen18 :wavey:

So, to get a starting point, can you pls tell us what your original diamond is? Not the one you're thinking of buying - the first one you owned. I want to know where you're coming from. And pls tell us what you dislike about it and what you'd like to improve.

Firstly, I don't mind the 36deg crown angle since the pavilion angle is a fairly complementary 40.6 and I like a puffy head, as I find it aesthetically pleasing. However, you'll lose diameter in that, and it's also fairly deep. So you're going to lose diameter there also.

I'd love to see you *not* get an SI2 stone, so for me, that would rule out the true hearts diamond. If you're going to upgrade, let's try to make sure it's got the best stats you can get within your budget.

I prefer the stone @KKJohnson posted for you; it's clean, it's got nice stats, it's got great chunky arrows, and it's got that little bit of extra diameter that a really eagle eyed consumer WILL see. I also can't see any indication of clouds in the .58ct stone - and for me, clouds are the death knell for a potential diamond, and may explain why yours looks 'blah' in certain lights.

Can I ask what size your finger is? And how will you be setting this? The .58 would make a delightful little solitaire - especially if you have slim fingers!

Your thoughts and responses please?

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Hi @Kristen18 :wavey:

So, to get a starting point, can you pls tell us what your original diamond is? Not the one you're thinking of buying - the first one you owned. I want to know where you're coming from. And pls tell us what you dislike about it and what you'd like to improve.

Firstly, I don't mind the 36deg crown angle since the pavilion angle is a fairly complementary 40.6 and I like a puffy head, as I find it aesthetically pleasing. However, you'll lose diameter in that, and it's also fairly deep. So you're going to lose diameter there also.

I'd love to see you *not* get an SI2 stone, so for me, that would rule out the true hearts diamond. If you're going to upgrade, let's try to make sure it's got the best stats you can get within your budget.

I prefer the stone @KKJohnson posted for you; it's clean, it's got nice stats, it's got great chunky arrows, and it's got that little bit of extra diameter that a really eagle eyed consumer WILL see. I also can't see any indication of clouds in the .58ct stone - and for me, clouds are the death knell for a potential diamond, and may explain why yours looks 'blah' in certain lights.

Can I ask what size your finger is? And how will you be setting this? The .58 would make a delightful little solitaire - especially if you have slim fingers!

Your thoughts and responses please?

Hello there and thanks for your help! So below I have attached the GIA cert for the diamond I CURRENTLY own. And also below is the link to the diamond. I have tried opening on my phone and it doesn’t show the diamond, but the representative said it may work on a computer. I have not tried it yet but perhaps it will show up there. I am in my 30 day window to exchange this diamond, hence my questions! Just want to make sure I am getting the best diamond I can afford! finger size is 7, so pretty average there. Below I have also attached a picture of my current setting/ring. Not the best picture but hopefully it will give some ideas on how it looks in real life. It is a yellow gold setting.

Attachments

• 0D59A1B7-4E63-4313-88CF-0F88DEBAC086.jpeg
    0D59A1B7-4E63-4313-88CF-0F88DEBAC086.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 9509F683-57C3-4881-BBC7-E55A177F26B8.png
    9509F683-57C3-4881-BBC7-E55A177F26B8.png
    662 KB · Views: 34
  • D693D958-21E1-44AB-B75C-2ABAFC0E06D7.png
    D693D958-21E1-44AB-B75C-2ABAFC0E06D7.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 32
  • CAB6CFA1-7E98-443A-8C6B-F99E7261F12F.jpeg
    CAB6CFA1-7E98-443A-8C6B-F99E7261F12F.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Kristen18 -

I dont think I was clear enough. As I understand it, the diamond you currently own is still new-ish - ie still in the return window. I mean your ORIGINAL diamond - the one you upgraded FROM. The one before your .54 I VS2. I'd like to hear why you upgraded in the first place and what you were looking for.

Can you tell me the size, color, clarity of that diamond, and what you were looking for when you upgraded to your .54 I VS2. Because that will dictate what it is you're looking for and how we direct our suggestions.

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Hi @Kristen18 -

I dont think I was clear enough. As I understand it, the diamond you currently own is still new-ish - ie still in the return window. I mean your ORIGINAL diamond - the one you upgraded FROM. The one before your .54 I VS2. I'd like to hear why you upgraded in the first place and what you were looking for.

Can you tell me the size, color, clarity of that diamond, and what you were looking for when you upgraded to your .54 I VS2. Because that will dictate what it is you're looking for and how we direct our suggestions.

Ah I see! Yes I didn’t quite understand correctly! So sorry!

Ok so my ORIGINALring was a very inexpensive, low quality set from an online place called DazzlingRock. The diamonds are very poorly cut and very much included. My hubby only spent a little over $300 for both engagement ring AND wedding ring. Ha! So very poor quality indeed. It looked very dull in many likghting scenarios. It’s what I would call a cluster ring, as there were a bunch if small diamonds making it appear to be one larger stone. I loved it in that it was very sentimental to me and my husband picked it out himself, but it really wasn’t a pretty ring!

When my husband suggested my upgrading, I jumped at the chance to get a nicer set! I really didn’t know what I wanted, but knew since we had a very limited budget, I would rather have a smaller good quality stone than a large ring with poor quality stones like my original. Hope that gives you some extra info.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a big help! Thanks @Kristen18. :))

So, basically, you're after something more traditional and beautiful. Something more...elegant? The setting in your photo - the solitaire is that the setting you're planning to use? my feeling is that it overwhelms the stone in it and doesn't go with the band beneath it. Would you consider a lighter, more elegant setting so they pair better together?

Also, since you're not upgrading with a particular company, are you open to the idea of going with Blue Nile, or second hand? And are you open to the idea of other shapes? Here's something I found when I looked through Loupe Troop for you, and it's an excellent deal and substantially larger while still seeming to be a good quality stone:

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
That's a big help! Thanks @Kristen18. :))

So, basically, you're after something more traditional and beautiful. Something more...elegant? The setting in your photo - the solitaire is that the setting you're planning to use? my feeling is that it overwhelms the stone in it and doesn't go with the band beneath it. Would you consider a lighter, more elegant setting so they pair better together?

Also, since you're not upgrading with a particular company, are you open to the idea of going with Blue Nile, or second hand? And are you open to the idea of other shapes? Here's something I found when I looked through Loupe Troop for you, and it's an excellent deal and substantially larger while still seeming to be a good quality stone:

Unfortunately I already purchased this setting from James Allen! I do wish I would have worn it just around the house for short periods to see how I liked it before wearing it everywhere. It now has scratches and therefore I can’t return it, even though I’m still in my return period! Too bad. Ugh. That’s why I am just looking to switch out the stones if there is something better.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a couple from Blue Nile, which I prefer. One of them is a 60/60 stone, but I've also included one K colored stone, which I would bezel set in yellow gold. This would make any tint virtually invisible, and as such, makes this a very attractive option. Bezel set, it would look substantial on the hand! The J VS2 is also a beautiful stone, and would look in either yellow or white gold (or platinum, of course), and I've included the I VS2 diamond in case it just *has* to be an I color. But I can assure you - or reassure you, if you like, that at this size, a J colored stone will work just find, and a K color in a bezel will be beautiful. And substantial. :)

And just to add - you can keep the setting but go with a different company for the diamond. As to the setting - is it to your taste? Would you be hoping to get a wedding band that goes with it? The current disparity in size between the 2 would be very off-putting for me....

ETA x 2 Does that ring have yellow gold prongs? If so, a J or a K colored stone should work just fine. Which setting is it? Does it have a matching wedder? It's very large compared to your wedding band and quite a different style.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are few, few brilliants with high crowns & shallower pavilions around here. Good to see one!

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Ok so thank you all for your help! I put in a return through James Allen on this current ring. I’m just not sure it’s the one for me! It does have scratches from wearing it, so I cleaned it real good and it looks shiny again although still some scratches. I asked about that and the representative told me it’s fine as long as they’re just light scratches that can be polished/buffed out. So I’m afraid to order something else yet until I’m sure they’ll take it back! Since their offices are in NY, they currently aren’t doing returns right now so I would have to wait!

while I am waiting, could y’all help me find something else? I am just so indecisive and don’t know what I want! I know I want a beautiful sparkly diamond! But I also want something big that has more finger coverage than just a solitaire. With my budget, I just may not be able to get that. And that’s OK. I am possibly open to halos although ive never been a fan. Perhaps I would like it more in person.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kristen18 -

I think that's a good decision. Here's a photo of one of my all time favorite rings on PS. It's only .56ct but it's in a bezel. Also, if that's your wedding ring in the photo, it would look terrific with this.

Also, with yellow gold, a K colored diamond would look terrific, but I think the J VS2 is the best one I linked for you.

Bezels add a lot more oomph and finger presence. I love a good bezel, altho, like you, I am not a fan of diamond halos on my own finger. But bezels? Love 'em! Bezel setting for .56ct diamond..jpeg

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Kristen18

Rough_Rock
Ok so I am looking into this setting since I really want something that looks big LOL! I am thinking about an emerald cut, maybe a a half carat. Any experience with emerald cuts?? I have no idea which ones are best. Any help in picking out one from James Allen? Budget would be about $750 after the setting! They are doing a 25% off setting sale right now, so good timing! Any help please?? I so appreciate you all!!

Setting:https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...shank-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-67355

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so I am looking into this setting since I really want something that looks big LOL! I am thinking about an emerald cut, maybe a a half carat. Any experience with emerald cuts?? I have no idea which ones are best. Any help in picking out one from James Allen? Budget would be about $750 after the setting! They are doing a 25% off setting sale right now, so good timing! Any help please?? I so appreciate you all!!

Setting:https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...shank-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-67355

the issue with emerald cuts is that they face up small for their ct weight. So I personally wouldn't go wiht an emerald cut if you want it to look big.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results