shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond tester pens

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Would you invest in one even if you’ve bought your diamonds from certified jewelers? I’m looking for a good one on the market but a lot of reviews online at Amazon say they only work temporarily or only pick up certain items or just keep beeping all the time.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What are you hoping it will tell you?

In answer to your question, I like Presidium equipment for this sort of thing but there are plenty of cheaper makers. More importantly, as a consumer, I'm hard-pressed to think of why you would want one at all. Used properly it'll tell you if something is a diamond, and they're not all that difficult to use, but it won't give you any grades, it won't tell you if it's lab-grown, and it won't match it to the paperwork. Just yes/no it's either a diamond or moissanite.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Nobody? Bumping for advice purposes.

I use one because I buy jewelry lots at estate sales and yard sales. Sometimes I get lucky. I have a cheap diamondtester2 from amazon for like ten bucks and it has never steered me wrong. The bad reviews come from folks who aren't using it correctly. You need to calibrate it to the ambient air temp AND the size of the stone. You also can't touch metal, just the stone. But yes, they work.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use one because I buy jewelry lots at estate sales and yard sales. Sometimes I get lucky. I have a cheap diamondtester2 from amazon for like ten bucks and it has never steered me wrong. The bad reviews come from folks who aren't using it correctly. You need to calibrate it to the ambient air temp AND the size of the stone. You also can't touch metal, just the stone. But yes, they work.

I agree with you!
I have the same tester. It really does work, if you use it correctly.
I also buy of used jewelry at miscellaneous sales and it's a great tool.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock

Do you have a link? I purchased a ring off eBay but want to see for myself.
Thanks!

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with you!
I have the same tester. It really does work, if you use it correctly.
I also buy of used jewelry at miscellaneous sales and it's a great tool.

Link please? I’m trying to get the same one y’all have.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i was gifted the diamond selector 2 several years ago. ive only ever used it once, just for fun. but the presidium seems more *professional* possibly also a bit more user friendly ...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i was gifted the diamond selector 2 several years ago. ive only ever used it once, just for fun. but the presidium seems more *professional* possibly also a bit more user friendly ...

I buy at yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores, etc.
I have found really nice CZs set into 14k more than once :(2 .....so It's a tool that has served me well!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I buy at yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores, etc.
I have found really nice CZs set into 14k more than once :(2 .....so It's a tool that has served me well!

i think i had better get more familiar with my diamond selector 2. after posting, i took it out to see if it still worked. and it does! the batteries might need replacing, though. i like that it is smaller and mobile than the presidium but gosh the presidium looks so impressive

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I ordered it. Saw a lot of mixed reviews, hoping I don't have the same luck :/

Read the instructions really well and experiment on all your stones--diamonds, CZ, white sapphire, glass, etc.

If it doesn't seem to work the first few times you try it, then your settings are not adjusted right. I think the bad reviews are from people who are not using it correctly.
The settings must be correct for the temperature of the room and the size of the stones. It is really simple to use, once you get the hang of it.
Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those “cheap ones” are notoriously unreliable.
The Presidum is a worthwhile investment if you want to know if you’ve got CZ (glass) vs White sapphire/ white topaz (natural OR lab grown) and Diamond.
Its important to note that Moissanite will register as diamond on most testers as what is being measured is heat transmission ability and diamonds and Moissanite are very similar.
These testers can’t tell you if a gem is out of the lab or out of the ground and if it’s had any treatments so their use is limited.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results