shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs for wife

tufan

Rough_Rock
My wife is pregnant with our first wife and I want to surprise her with a nice set of earrings. What is size is realistic for a 20-25k budget? What vendors should I be looking at? I bought her engagement ring from engagement ring direct (now https://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/) but am not sure if they are ideal for studs.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check with Whiteflash to see what you can get. I would buy the biggest ACA pair I could afford

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possible combos

The 6 or 8 prong martini are my favorite settings but they have baskets as well.
Baskets

Congratulations on your upcoming little one! How exciting!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to second tyty on the pairs she chose! The H pair is very close in size and specs to what I have, and mine are also from Whiteflash. I think those would make a fabulous pair! If her e-ring is I color, you may want to go with the I color pair instead and get a little larger size. I think either of these is a very nice size and wouldn't really go larger since studs usually are smaller than the engagement ring diamond.

Congrats on the new baby!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Congrats! Great budget!

I will be the lone dissenter here in asking if your wife wants/desires large(er) diamond stud earrings? Has she expressed a desire for a particular size? What does she wear now?

cheers--Sharon

I’d also throw out a suggestion to check the ES (expert selection) at Whiteflash or contact IDJ in order to maximize size a bit - with earrings you don’t really “need” ACAs, and ES represents great value in that they’re stones that just miss ACA classification for the tiniest of (mostly invisible) flaws. From what I’ve heard here on PS (no personal experience however), IDJ are amazing at sourcing excellent stones and making miracles happen out of budgets, so there’s no harm in inquiring there either.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
HI:

Congrats! Great budget!

I will be the lone dissenter here in asking if your wife wants/desires large(er) diamond stud earrings? Has she expressed a desire for a particular size? What does she wear now?

cheers--Sharon

Ditto.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a thread with @diamondseeker2006 ACA studs. I believe they are around 1.28 each. She has some ear shots.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
With that budget you could get very nice studs and jackets to dress them up!

Yes, with your budget I would include removable jackets. They really give the studs a little something extra for special occasions. Adding a photo of mine for visual reference. My studs are 1/2 ct each.

Diamond halo earring jackets.jpg

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Here is a thread that shows many different sizes and settings for stud earrings so you can get a feel for what they look like on an ear (just remember different ear sizes affect how large/small a diamond appears.)

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
She hasn't given me the sizing but I am sure she won't complain if it is larger than she expected ;-)

It couldn't be so: it really depends on her earlobes and on the setting.

Anyway, I applaud you for your thoughtfulness and efforts to get her a special gift; I ' m sure the lovely PSers will help you get gorgeous studs.
Best to you,
purplesilk

ls430FL

Rough_Rock
Has your wife tried on studs before? Would these be special occasion studs or everyday? I know it is a surprise but to me studs are a very wearer specific gift. Some women feel that studs only up to a certain size are good for everday and anyhting larger than what they are comfortable wearing are more dressy. Others do not care. Ear lobe size also makes a difference. Your budget will get you a very nice pair of studs.

A good idea if you cannot go to a jeweler is check out CZ studs on amazon in various sizes. Have her try them on just to see the size against her ear. She may find a stud that is too large is not comfortable for everyday wearing.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
She hasn't given me the sizing but I am sure she won't complain if it is larger than she expected ;-)

As @purplesilk stated this is not necessarily true. For studs I have a definite max size....and it is smaller than you'd think compared to my other pieces!! I would be willing to push the limit up for dressy wear and so the jackets would be nice. I can wear a much bigger dangle than a stud. If you want it to be a surprise, look at the earrings your wife wears now....what do you see in the studs for size?

tufan

Rough_Rock
Here is a thread that shows many different sizes and settings for stud earrings so you can get a feel for what they look like on an ear (just remember different ear sizes affect how large/small a diamond appears.)

I have been stalking that thread for a few weeks. When they mention a size like: 2.5 ctw H SI2 do they mean each stud is 2.5 ctw? or 1.25 each?

tufan

Rough_Rock
Has your wife tried on studs before? Would these be special occasion studs or everyday? I know it is a surprise but to me studs are a very wearer specific gift. Some women feel that studs only up to a certain size are good for everday and anyhting larger than what they are comfortable wearing are more dressy. Others do not care. Ear lobe size also makes a difference. Your budget will get you a very nice pair of studs.

A good idea if you cannot go to a jeweler is check out CZ studs on amazon in various sizes. Have her try them on just to see the size against her ear. She may find a stud that is too large is not comfortable for everyday wearing.

Never thought of this. Will buy them right away.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have been stalking that thread for a few weeks. When they mention a size like: 2.5 ctw H SI2 do they mean each stud is 2.5 ctw? or 1.25 each?

ctw = carat total weight (the weight of all the diamonds in a piece of jewelry added together)

ct = carat (the weight of just one diamond)

Some posters use one description when speaking of their studs, some use the other. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I've bought CZ tennis bracelets to understand how the different sizes feel on my wrist and it was very helpful. I ordered 3 different ctws, compared them when they arrived, and only kept the one that was closest to what I eventually wanted purchase in diamonds. CZs and diamonds have the same measurements for carat weights. (Other gemstones like rubies for example, are more dense, so are smaller in size than a similar weight diamond. A 1 ct CZ is the same size as a 1 ct diamond as long as they are cut the same.)

Last edited:

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
The diamonds look gorgeous, ACA’s are a beautiful stone! the jackets you’ve selected are made to fit a .30 stone, so that size is not going to work with your selection. Reach out to Whiteflash and they can give you an option that will fit.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting closer to pulling the trigger. How does the following look?

Great!!! Do NOT forget to get "jumbo backs" from Whiteflash. The larger backs will help the studs stay upright on her earlobes. They may charge a few hundred dollars extra, but worth every penny. Nobody wants droopy studs. You may need to call them if you cannot specify online. Don't worry. WF makes them. I made the mistake of not knowing and not ordering until a year or two after.

And, I wouldn't worry about the jackets yet either, unless you are sure she will want them. Those 1.4 carat studs are FABULOUS and will look absolutely amazing on your wife. Congratulations!!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey OP, congrats on the baby and to you wife, very generous of you to splurge like this.
My 2 cents......as far as the backs go, I would choose the LaPousette backs, they are like round clamps and the backs wont fall off. I would hate to lose one of those babies! You can ask WF about them

tufan

Rough_Rock
Wow, I am glad I posted, had no idea about the backs. Are LaPousette considered to be "jumbo" backs?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No they are smaller, google it or look at WF website, others have them also, they are just round discs that when you press on the corner the center hole opens and when released clamp down on the post. Go Read about them. I ended getting them for my daughter who lost the first pair. I am not a woman but it is probably pretty easy to think you have the backs on correct and you don‘t and they fall off.

Reactions: Kya

tufan

Rough_Rock
I also want to get a pair of studs for my daughter. What do you guys recommend for a newborn?

tufan

Rough_Rock
Is the Lifetime Ultimate Care plan worth it?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I am glad I posted, had no idea about the backs. Are LaPousette considered to be "jumbo" backs?

Just FYI. My jumbo backs from WF are super secure. Stayed tight for the whole time I’ve owned them and I was wearing my studs 24/7 for about 4 years straight. I’m just worried lapousette backs are not big enough to keep larger studs upright and may dig into the back of her ear lobe.

Here are comparison pics.

also don’t want to be a bummer but the 6 prong martini may dig into her piercing. It did for me and I wore it 24/7. I would suggest a setting that has a flatter bigger base. @diamondseeker2006 i think there is a thread here of someone who had ordered a custom crown style setting that had a lovely wide base.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results