shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs for wife

tufan

Rough_Rock
Just FYI. My jumbo backs from WF are super secure. Stayed tight for the whole time I’ve owned them and I was wearing my studs 24/7 for about 4 years straight. I’m just worried lapousette backs are not big enough to keep larger studs upright and may dig into the back of her ear lobe.

Here are comparison pics.

also don’t want to be a bummer but the 6 prong martini may dig into her piercing. It did for me and I wore it 24/7. I would suggest a setting that has a flatter bigger base. @diamondseeker2006 i think there is a thread here of someone who had ordered a custom crown style setting that had a lovely wide base.

What setting would avoid digging issue? I am not set on the 6 prong.

tufan

Rough_Rock
Looks like the W-prongs will be more comfortable when wearing them all day.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Look at the settings in this thread. @diamondseeker2006 has these settings and I believe they would be a lot more comfortable. They are beautiful to look at and will let lots of light in.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful gift! She will be thrilled!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The standard 4 prong basket should have a flat base. Those are your best bet from the regular stock settings. It doesn't look like the base is flat on the w-prongs. Mine were custom and quite a lot more in price.

tufan

Rough_Rock
The standard 4 prong should have a flat base. Those are your best bet from the regular stock settings. Mine were custom and quite a lot more in price.

Could you send me the details? I am not averse to spending a bit more to get something that is more comfortable to wear throughout the day.

tufan

Rough_Rock
The standard 4 prong basket should have a flat base. Those are your best bet from the regular stock settings. It doesn't look like the base is flat on the w-prongs. Mine were custom and quite a lot more in price.

So Whiteflash quoted me around $1300 (platinum) for the setting that you have. Does that sound like it is in the ballpark? I want to make sure they aren't quoting something wrong.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Whiteflash quoted me around $1300 (platinum) for the setting that you have. Does that sound like it is in the ballpark? I want to make sure they aren't quoting something wrong.

Sorry for the delay...busy holiday weekend!

Yes, that sounds right. I am glad you are getting platinum. I do love my settings, and I think the 1.4 H SI1's are perfect! I would not get jackets for studs that size. Mine are just slightly smaller and I love them as they are.

I actually do not like or use jumbo backs or La Poucette. Ask for the largest size of regular backs, but smaller than jumbo. I think jumbo are unnecessary with this style setting because the studs don't tilt down as long as the backs are on securely. The only jewelry items I insure are my engagement ring and diamond studs because I wear them the most and don't want to have to worry if I lose or damage them.

I was just skimming the thread. Is your baby girl going to have her ears pierced or are you wanting them for the future?

tufan

Rough_Rock

Yes, that sounds right. I am glad you are getting platinum. I do love my settings, and I think the 1.4 H SI1's are perfect! I would not get jackets for studs that size. Mine are just slightly smaller and I love them as they are.

I actually do not like or use jumbo backs or La Poucette. Ask for the largest size of regular backs, but smaller than jumbo. I think jumbo are unnecessary with this style setting because the studs don't tilt down as long as the backs are on securely. The only jewelry items I insure are my engagement ring and diamond studs because I wear them the most and don't want to have to worry if I lose or damage them.

I was just skimming the thread. Is your baby girl going to have her ears pierced or are you wanting them for the future?

Thank you for the feedback. We are going to have them pierced.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it depends on the individual's ear. I still recommend jumbos to be safe. And for comfort and to prevent any digging. Also, the bigger, the easier to hold and grip and find. Cause as you age, the eyesight goes too... :lol-2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Initially you'll want something like surgical stainless steel posts to have no chance of an allergic reaction (they generally have them where they do the piercing). So I'd probably start her with tiny cz's, personally, and wait until she is older to get real diamonds. (My granddaughter just got hers pierced a week ago, and that's what she did.) But when you do, I really love these:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the individual's ear. I still recommend jumbos to be safe. And for comfort and to prevent any digging. Also, the bigger, the easier to hold and grip and find. Cause as you age, the eyesight goes too... :lol-2:

It certainly may depend on the ear, but I am older than you and can hold my regular backs. :lol: But I thought the whole reason people used jumbo backs was to keep the earrings from tilting down, and I have not had that problem with regular backs. Are you saying you think they are safer for some reason? I feel like they are so big that people can see them when hair doesn't cover the back of the ears. But I need to measure mine because maybe they are large jumbos! I also felt like they scratched my posts and that was my primary reason to stop using them. But I seriously don't care which backs he chooses! I'd probably get the regular backs and let her see how she likes them and maybe order some inexpensive jumbo ones to see if she likes them before buying wg or platinum ones.

https://www.amazon.com/4-Piece-Fancy-Earring-Sterling-Silver/dp/B00AE254HS/ref=sr_1_23?crid=MLUDKMHWSGA9&dchild=1&keywords=jumbo+earring+backs&qid=1606540953&sprefix=jumbo+earring,aps,182&sr=8-23

Here are some in 14k white gold. I am pretty sure some of the jewelers said that white gold was better for the backs since platinum is more bendable and you want a tight grip on the post.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It certainly may depend on the ear, but I am older than you and can hold my regular backs. :lol: But I thought the whole reason people used jumbo backs was to keep the earrings from tilting down, and I have not had that problem with regular backs. Are you saying you think they are safer for some reason? I feel like they are so big that people can see them when hair doesn't cover the back of the ears. But I need to measure mine because maybe they are large jumbos! I also felt like they scratched my posts and that was my primary reason to stop using them. But I seriously don't care which backs he chooses! I'd probably get the regular backs and let her see how she likes them and maybe order some inexpensive jumbo ones to see if she likes them before buying wg or platinum ones.

https://www.amazon.com/4-Piece-Fancy-Earring-Sterling-Silver/dp/B00AE254HS/ref=sr_1_23?crid=MLUDKMHWSGA9&dchild=1&keywords=jumbo+earring+backs&qid=1606540953&sprefix=jumbo+earring,aps,182&sr=8-23

Here are some in 14k white gold. I am pretty sure some of the jewelers said that white gold was better for the backs since platinum is more bendable and you want a tight grip on the post.

Unfortunately Regular backs have never worked well with my ear lobes. I find the regular ones hard to grasp and so easy to lose. My jumbos are tighter than the regular ones. I don’t care if the posts are scratched cause no one ever sees the posts. But different people will have different priorities, and different ears. OP, now you know the pros and cons, you can make the right decision for you.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DS2006 is very very smart and I would follow her recommendations on everything......except this one. You are buying big big stones, I want no chance of losing them, La Pousettes my friend.

At the end of the day, it is your coin, or should I say your stones.

tufan

Rough_Rock
Do you guys think the Lifetime Ultimate Care plan is worth it? I will add the earrings to our Jewelrs Mutual policy for theft/loss.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you guys think the Lifetime Ultimate Care plan is worth it? I will add the earrings to our Jewelrs Mutual policy for theft/loss.

I didn't even know of that plan until just now. But no, definitely not especially if you have insurance that covers loss of the diamonds. I can't imagine any services ever needed on studs, and it's not a big deal to replace a back if she loses one. I also would not use a plan like that on a ring. I'd pay for sizing or a new setting as needed. I have had jewelry for a very long time, and I'll bet I haven't spent more than a couple hundred dollars over many years having one or two rings sized.

Each of us clearly has preferences on backs, so there is no right or wrong answer. Your wife's preferences are all that really matters. The good news is that you are insuring them, so the type of backs aren't really an issue.

Last edited:

tufan

Rough_Rock
Placed the order! Will update once I have them in hand. Thanks to everyone for your help! Will be back when its time to upgrade her engagement ring (currently 1.75 carat really want to get in the 2.5 to 3 range) But that will be 5-10 years from now!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I also want to get a pair of studs for my daughter. What do you guys recommend for a newborn?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get her ears pierced : it's an unnecessary cruel practice on a child; she will choose what to do when she's old enough to decide.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get her ears pierced : it's an unnecessary cruel practice on a child; she will choose what to do when she's old enough to decide.
He didn’t ask for your opinion on his daughters ear piercing, he asked for opinions on his wife’s studs. Let a parent make their own decision on what to do for their children, it’s none of your business.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
He didn’t ask for your opinion on his daughters ear piercing, he asked for opinions on his wife’s studs. Let a parent make their own decision on what to do for their children, it’s none of your business.

It's none of your business commenting on my post.
I did not insult anyone, so I'm free to express my opinion

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results