shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs for a man - what size is too big and what color is too low?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Don't know how well cut those diamonds you looked at were (i.e. there mm) - but you may want to consider stones just shy of .5 like .43 or so. The price break is quite a bit & the size diff not quite so.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Agreed,

If you focus on the diameter mm and cut, you can easily stay below the .5 ctw (each) and get the good sized price break without sacrificing diameter or looks of 1ctw. Also, f-g color is good, but I can only see the color of my new G stones when I put them up against something icier, not on their own. My new white gold setting have a yellowish tinge (the first time I have had this, but i guess it depends on the mix), so watch out for that.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the help guys.
1.gif

I plan to talk to a vendor I've worked with in the past Monday and see where it goes.
There are several pairs I've found on here that look good, but I want to check with this vendor first.

I like the icy look, as does my FI, so I'm hoping to find the perfect stone in a F. If that means going to a .45 each, that's OK.

I'll keep you posted. I can't wait!
9.gif

Jenibear

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Dittos to F&I and Lop, JB. When I was looking locally, I checked on the diameter measurements as well. The 1 ctw studs in the local shops had nearly the same diameter as Ideal cuts just below the .5 carat mark. I got .87 ctw Ideal cut studs that have the look of jewelry store 1 ctw. Mine perform much better and they cost less than generic studs I found locally.
2.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
So how do these sound?
I expect to get the lab reports Tuesday.
They are both ideal cut and H&A with AGS reports.
One is a .42 ct. VS2 H for $925 and the second is .43 ct. VS2 H for $940.
Good deal?
And will there be a noticable difference between a store .50 and an ideal .43?
I'd rather get a G SI1 (and am asking the vendor if they can get for me) - but is there really a difference?
Thanks!
1.gif

Jenibear

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
good point britchick! I just bought SI2's for my studs, and they are absolutly fine, and were a better value.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, for a match pair the mm measurements are very important.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Here goes the AGS report and again the price I got was $940.

.433VS2HAGSreport.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Here's the bscope

.433ct.VS2HB-SCOPE.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Here's teh second one. Price quote: $925

.424VS2HAGSreport.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Here's the bscope.

.424ct.VS2HB-SCOPE.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
BUMP!

I need some feedback!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Where IS everyone?

Please let me know if these are a good pick!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
They look like a good match, JB. He will adore you so for this wonderful gift!!
1.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Thanks PQ,
but I passed on these in favor of a pair of ideal H&A F SI1s from the same vendor.
They are also larger - .90 tcw and close to 5 mm.
love.gif

I expect the AGS certs, etc. Thursday. I am hoping these are the ones!
1.gif

Jenibear

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Kewl, JB. I think both you and your FI will be pleased with the result.

1 ctw generic studs I was looking at ran around 5 mm each in diameter. If you had the stones side by side, you might see the size difference. Standing alone, all anyone will see is the glitz and sparkle of you beau's new perties.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hey Jenibear -- congratulations on finding the stones! They sound like just the right combinations for you with the F color 1cttw. 5mm should be a great size.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds good JB... F SI is a very nice combo. Do post the data.
1.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys.
1.gif

I'll post the info as soon as I get it.
These stones sound just like the ones I was hoping for. I am sure the .10 ct won't be very noticable in size, especially if they sparkle like mad!
love.gif

Jenibear

goldyhoops

Rough_Rock
I think it wonderful you are buying diamond earrings for your man, he's very lucky to have you.

I've never had a girlfriend give me earrings.

I'm a man and have had both of my ears pierced for about 14 years. I mainly wear small gold hoops but since reading all this deeply helpful advice I might get a pair of diamond earrings myself.

But I'll think I'll postpone the chandelier earrings.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Hi - What a great idea! Can't wait to see the pictures!
It sounds like you are all set but one thing I think is funny that no one brought up - is what size (height/wt) is your FI?

Just for anyone reading this post later, maybe his overall size would help determine what carat you want. For example, if he were a petit man the .50 or larger might not acheive the desired look. As Aubrey put it, your sailor/hipster would start looking like a rap star! If your guy is a huge burly rugby-type and very tall, He could go higher up the carat chart without looking like a blingster. We talk about women with tiny and large fingers/hands and sizes that work best for those shapes - I just thought it might help here.

Of course, there's always the size four who can pull off a monster rock and vice versa - but then a look is being acheived.

Congratulations - on your engagement and on getting a guy you can get fun presents for!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Goldyhoops - I'm glad my guy isn't the only one. He got his ears pierced when he was 14 playing soccer in Europe for the summer.
1.gif

And Warren, my man is only 5 feet 8 1/2 inches tall (I'm a half inch taller!
3.gif
) - but he's stocky, muscular and has a big presence!
9.gif

When we went to the store and I put 1/2 carat studs on his earlobe they looked perfect.

There's just something about him that can pull it off. I can't put my finger on it.

And as I said, he's got big ears!
2.gif
He also has distinguished features and large eyes and a huge smile. So I think all that offsets his short stature. He often has more presence in a room than some of his friends that are over 6 feet tall!
5.gif

I'm trying to post the info, but am having a hard time.

Let's hope it works today!

Jenibear

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Here is the AGS report on the first stone.

ScottyC1repor.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Let's try that again right side up!

ScottyC1report.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Great light return!

ScottyC1Bscop.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Stone number two. These are exactly the same size! How crazy! They are like twins! You can barely tell them apart!

ScottyC2repor.jpg

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
More great light return!
love.gif

ScottyC2Bscop.jpg

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Wow -- these look like a great match and a great selection for earrings! Congratulations on a great find!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Yay!
I am in love with these!
Can't wait to see them in real life!
love.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Here is a photo of the actual stones! Yummy!
love.gif

Scotty.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results