shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Studs - $50k Budget

SeanJ

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all of the wonderful help. As I narrow down my selections, I am curious if anyone sees any material differences in these four G color VS2 diamonds and if there are any two in particular that you would recommend for a pair. They are all relatively close in price because they are all WF ACA cuts, but I assume the location of the inclusions are likely the primary reason for the slight price differences. I am still trying to learn the best way to interpret the ASET images, but are there any real flaws with any of them? Is the light green center in the ASET image of the last one a flaw that I should be worried about? Are they all close enough in size that dimensions are not a concern?

From most expensive to least expensive:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, I don’t think that is true, and I hate to keep it going on this post, but I also feel since OP brought it up and asked specific questions that if I can correct something, I probably should. So here I am giving my piece about this.

Most importantly, I think any questions about any of this should be addressed to Wink because Wink mentioned in his letter that he welcomes questions.

From my business dealings with HPD (I have bought 3 diamonds plus made one upgrade so far), I do think Wink is trustworthy, honest and with a ton of integrity. Plus he is an ex marine, so he is also bad ass though he is also laid back and cool. It’s clear he respects and welcomes a transparent process about this issue, so as I mentioned, anyone with questions shouldn’t hesitate to call or email Wink.

I also think it bears repeating that Paul has never been and is not the owner of HPD. In all of my dealings with HPD, I have never spoken with Paul. I have spoken with Wink and Melissa through all my purchases. I think all customers of HPD can attest to this.

I don’t think Paul was ever “THE” cutter. I think all HPD diamonds are cut “in house” by a team of polishers and Paul was on the business end of things and set the quality standards and oversaw the cutting. I think he also procured the rough, which we all know he was extra picky about because he wrote about why CBI inventory is smaller than other places. He was the reason CBI diamonds were established to be of high quality and have what we have sometimes called “the secret sauce” (whatever that is lol).

I hate that there is any appearance of drama over this because I don’t think there is any. Whether Paul is there or not, the same team of cutters/polishers remains the same and I really don’t think Wink has any intention of dragging Paul through the mud or anything like that. (I can’t see Wink behaving in this way— it would be out of character of him.)

So since we know there have been many purchases shown off here on PS with zero change of quality levels (you can see in the pics nothing has changed) that tells me that Paul was not the secret sauce himself, but the team of in house cutters/polishers were. Also, no one has complained of interruptions in service and Wink still has all the same policies for upgrades/trade ins. He still is selling branded CBI diamonds. Future cut diamonds are still listed in production

If anything, I think the continuation as usual of business and the same quality shows that while Paul began the company and set the standards, he has become irrelevant to the company continuing on without him. (As happens with many companies once the original owner sells out to a larger company).

I love the precision of my CBI diamonds and I like that I can just pick one without a whole lot of thought and analysis paralysis.

I trust Wink and his team. I plan to upgrade again in a few months.

^ This!

I went and read the HPD site re: the cutting process. It said there was a team of cutters. Whoever is cutting them, they are doing a terrific job. I didn’t see anything about Paul being the sole cutter nor that he had an ownership interest in HPD.

OP - HPD, WF, BG and I think VC will all provide you with super ideals. The best of the best. Check them all out! I dealt with @Wink and @LaylaR and had a great experience. They were transparent, honest and helpful. I wouldn’t hesitate to do business with them again. Best of luck in your search!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again for all of the wonderful help. As I narrow down my selections, I am curious if anyone sees any material differences in these four G color VS2 diamonds and if there are any two in particular that you would recommend for a pair. They are all relatively close in price because they are all WF ACA cuts, but I assume the location of the inclusions are likely the primary reason for the slight price differences. I am still trying to learn the best way to interpret the ASET images, but are there any real flaws with any of them? Is the light green center in the ASET image of the last one a flaw that I should be worried about? Are they all close enough in size that dimensions are not a concern?

From most expensive to least expensive:

You dont have to analyze Whiteflash's ACA brand with the Aset / Idealscope images. All their ACA diamonds come with those images and are cut to perfection. Also you dont have to start knit picking about inclusions because no stone would make it to the ACA brand if there was a transparency issue with inclusions. Basically Whiteflash does all the homework for you and it comes down what proportions you prefer .

With VS2 clarity you have nothing to worry about.

In my original post in this thread I posted the exact 2 VS2 G 1.922 ct with near identical proportions which would be an amazing match for earrings. I dont think you will find a better matching pair at that carat range with those specs.

Just pull the trigger on those 2 I suggested and you will have them in time for Christmas.

Last edited:

SeanJ

Rough_Rock
You dont have to analyze Whiteflash's ACA brand with the Aset / Idealscope images. All their ACA diamonds come with those images and are cut to perfection. Also you dont have to start knit picking about inclusions because no stone would make it to the ACA brand if there was a transparency issue with inclusions. Basically Whiteflash does all the homework for you and it comes down what proportions you prefer .

With VS2 clarity you have nothing to worry about.

In my original post in this thread I posted the exact 2 VS2 G 1.922 ct with near identical proportions which would be an amazing match for earrings. I dont think you will find a better matching pair at that carat range with those specs.

Just pull the trigger on those 2 I suggested and you will have them in time for Christmas.
Those look great. Thanks again for the suggestion. Out of sheer intellectual curiosity, were those two selected (out of the four that I shared) because of the strikingly similar dimensions? I’m just curious if you see anything else different between them that I don’t see.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Those look great. Thanks again for the suggestion. Out of sheer intellectual curiosity, were those two selected (out of the four that I shared) because of the strikingly similar dimensions? I’m just curious if you see anything else different between them that I don’t see.

No I selected those 2 at the beginning of this thread.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Best thing to do is call Whiteflash have them pull those 2 stones i suggested which they have in house and ask them any concerns you might have.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best thing to do is call Whiteflash have them pull those 2 stones i suggested which they have in house and ask them any concerns you might have.

This is good advice. If you are considering those four you can ask them to look at them and tell you more about them. That is the great thing about the vendors mentioned here, their stones are in house and they can evaluate them with their own eyes and tell you more about color, inclusions, etc. When stones are virtual inventory a sales associate can’t really tell you anything.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I agree that you should ask WF for their opinion on which two of those four are the best match. If all else is equal (color and eye clean) I would go with the two that are closest in diameter and table size. They will all be beautiful so I’d go for the closest match.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh your lucky wife!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Ditto to what AprilBaby said! What a stunning pair of studs your wife will have.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s true. Any decision he makes with our guidance here— she is a lucky woman!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pair of the G VS2 stones would be a dream, forever pair for me! She's a very lucky lady!

They all have close enough diameters and table sizes, so I'd tell them to choose the two whitest ones.

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
So I looked at probably 30 different diamonds today.
1. Looked at 2 carat diamonds in various color, normalized for other parameters as much as you - Color E to J. Looked at them in 3 different lighting conditions and various distances. When looking at them from table side up, I found it impossible to tell the difference, even when 3-4 grades apart.

2. Size difference was bigger than I expected. So if you have $50k budget, highly suggest that you look at 2.5 carats/ I/ VS1 or 2 with great optical performance.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I looked at probably 30 different diamonds today.
1. Looked at 2 carat diamonds in various color, normalized for other parameters as much as you - Color E to J. Looked at them in 3 different lighting conditions and various distances. When looking at them from table side up, I found it impossible to tell the difference, even when 3-4 grades apart.

2.Size difference was bigger than I expected Eg 2.5 carat J diamond looked meaningfully more impressive than F/2 carats

3. I have been looking to buy studs too and was going down the route of I/ VS2 / 2 carats. Seriously thinking about moving upto 2.5.

How exciting that you are starting your own search as well. May I suggest you start a separate thread so anyone helping you can keep track of your journey? It's a bit confusing with two searches for significant stones here. Please post all your contenders so people can follow along and provide input where needed.

Reactions: caf

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
How exciting that you are starting your own search as well. May I suggest you start a separate thread so anyone helping you can keep track of your journey? It's a bit confusing with two searches for significant stones here. Please post all your contenders so people can follow along and provide input where needed.

This was purely to give more info to OP, as I had promised him yesterday, on color choices. He was still trying to figure it out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a definite visible difference in E color and J color in natural lighting. I personally wouldn't go with E color for studs because my budget wouldn't allow me the size I want in E color, but I can definitely see tint in a J next to an I color diamond in natural lighting. I think G,H, and I are pretty safe for most people. Still, some will want colorless no matter the cost and others may want J or lower to get a larger size.

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I really appreciate all of the great information. I think I am finally starting to feel more comfortable with the process and how I should approach it. I am going to talk to HPD, BG, and WF and see what feels right.

Another subjective question for the group - is getting a G color a bad decision at this price point or would I not even be able to tell for studs? It looks like HPD has two 2.07 ct diamonds that might work well, but they are H color. I originally thought I should focus on color as the most important attribute after cut, but will the human eye even notice that these are H color on the ear?

I would definitely go for H stones for ears. They will face up white and it’s always advised that you can go lower color on earrings to maximize size. All anyone is going to see is amazing sparkle

SeanJ

Rough_Rock
So, I had a pair from both WF and HPD sent to me. Now I just need to make a decision. I am now convinced I can’t go wrong with either.

Do you guys typically get an independent appraisal for diamonds from these companies or do I just need to ensure that the inscription on the girdle matches the AGS report? I am sure I can get a local jewelry shop to give me an appraisal that would work for insurance purposes, but they will likely also try to talk me out of these diamonds so I buy from them instead. I guess I am both trying to confirm I got what I paid for (and not lab-created diamonds) and also getting an appraisal so I can get them insured.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, I had a pair from both WF and HPD sent to me. Now I just need to make a decision. I am now convinced I can’t go wrong with either.

Do you guys typically get an independent appraisal for diamonds from these companies or do I just need to ensure that the inscription on the girdle matches the AGS report? I am sure I can get a local jewelry shop to give me an appraisal that would work for insurance purposes, but they will likely also try to talk me out of these diamonds so I buy from them instead. I guess I am both trying to confirm I got what I paid for (and not lab-created diamonds) and also getting an appraisal so I can get them insured.

Just pick a pair. It’s that easy. Either one will send you an appraisal with purchase.

Reactions: caf

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I’m really happy that you got both pairs and are comparing them. You cannot go wrong with either WF or HPD.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF and HPD are totally reliable companies. Many of us here have bought from one or both. No worries about getting them independently appraised. You would receive a bill of sale from both companies that your insurance company should honor.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock

Do you have pics? Videos? If you have the diamonds, you could take pics/videos and see what people think. The experts can comment on fire etc. Do you like one pair over the other? If all else is the same and you see no difference, go with the company you liked more or the lower price.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
You will get all necessary receipts to insure. That’s the easy part. Just call your insurance company and done. Now you just need to pick a pair.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, just the AGS cert and WF receipt was all I needed to insure with JM. No need for an additional appraisal.
I can’t wait to hear what you choose! Either pair will be AMAZING!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

When I got my anniversary diamonds from HPD in recent years, I just uploaded my bill of sale and my AGS reports. Now that I have a three-stone anniversary ring with a new setting (custom/CAD), I’m waiting on an appraisal for what is included in the finished piece. I have gone through Jewelers Mutual, like many here. Very easy!

If you have a window with blinds, that is my favorite place to stare at diamonds! (Back to window) @cottoncandy has phenomenal videos where you can see the “rainbow arrows” that we all love. Have fun deciding!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

Neither of the companies provide an appraisal (well, at least I was not provided one nor did I ask for it) so you would need to use your receipt to have them insured. When you do so, make sure you specify to your insurance company the brand of your diamonds (either WF or HPD) so that in case of an unfortunate incident, they would not try to replace with "just a diamond". You want it to be replaced with either WF or HPD (which ever brand you eventually choose).

Exciting... try to post videos of all diamonds if you get the chance.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, my profile picture is a picture I took of the table of my CBI diamond, zoomed in! It is a reflection of the rainbow slats that show up when I’m lounging around with the window and blinds behind me. Anyway, it’s my favorite spot to observe during daylight hours. :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I asked for the appraisal for my three diamonds from HPD for insurance (JM) and they gave it to me. JM also needed me to upload a photo of the diamonds to make sure I really had them and they weren't fictitious.

WF and HPD are honest, reliable companies.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Show us pics! We want to see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results