shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond specs for 5 stone

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering a two carat five stone band with round diamonds. Given my finger size of 5.5, the two outside diamonds will likely tilt down the sides of my finger slightly. Are there diamonds specs that would work better for the two outside diamonds to mitigate any windowing that might occur? Specifically, is a particular pavilion angle better, or will staying in the super ideal specs be enough?

Reactions: smg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a two carat five stone band and wear a size 5.5. It was made by Memoire and is set low and curved just right. I do not feel the two end diamonds nor do I see any difference in the diamond performance.
1701879207918.jpeg

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Generally speaking taller crowns and smaller tables help minimize tilt windows, but I don’t think tilt windows in super ideal rounds are that noticeable to begin with, especially at under half carat each.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I have a two carat five stone band and wear a size 5.5. It was made by Memoire and is set low and curved just right. I do not feel the two end diamonds nor do I see any difference in the diamond performance.
1701879207918.jpeg

This is beautiful! Are the last diamonds prong set, or is that a one sided semi-bezel I see?

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I am currently looking at 0.46ct (4.96mm) center, and then two 0.43ct (4.86mm) and two 0.41(4.78mm.) Anyone have an opinion on whether this is too much of a difference in mms between the largest and smallest stones? Should I try to keep them all closer to 0.43ct (4.86mm?)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is beautiful! Are the last diamonds prong set, or is that a one sided semi-bezel I see?

Yes, I suppose it is a kind of semi-bezel instead of prongs on the end stone. Nothing there that pricks my fingers.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the look you are going for. Do you want them to look the same size or more graduated?

I’m planning one that looks more like it wraps around the finger so I got diamonds ranging from 0.3 to 0.5 ct or 4.33 to 5.12 mm.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the look you are going for. Do you want them to look the same size or more graduated?

I’m planning one that looks more like it wraps around the finger so I got diamonds ranging from 0.3 to 0.5 ct or 4.33 to 5.12 mm.

Are you planning a 5-stone or more-stone?

This is my first non ready-made ring, so it does make me feel more at ease that others intentionally graduate the diamonds. I was feeling like maybe I was doing this wrong.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I just went searching for graduated 5 stone rings, and low and behold found @ZestfullyBling thread where she posts an image of her first PS purchase of a 5-stone that is almost EXACTLY the specs I'm looking at. So great to see a real life image of what to expect!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
5 stone
4.33 - 4.37
4.87 - 4.89
5.08 - 5.12
4.81 - 4.82
4.33 - 4.37

All the shared experiences on PS are extremely helpful!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Next question:
My stones are from a much recommended super ideal vendor here on PriceScope. They are all VS2. One of the smallest stones has cloud as its first inclusion, with the note that additional clouds are not shown. However the stone doesn't appear hazy in the video, to my amateur eye. The largest stone report notes internal graining not shown, but also does not appear hazy in the fire video. So, do I back these two stones out and wait for more to come in, or do I trust my SA's judgement on the optical transparency?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next question:
My stones are from a much recommended super ideal vendor here on PriceScope. They are all VS2. One of the smallest stones has cloud as its first inclusion, with the note that additional clouds are not shown. However the stone doesn't appear hazy in the video, to my amateur eye. The largest stone report notes internal graining not shown, but also does not appear hazy in the fire video. So, do I back these two stones out and wait for more to come in, or do I trust my SA's judgement on the optical transparency?

Have they provided you images for you to see the diamonds yourself?

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the video of the stones I am currently looking at. I will need to wait for the fifth until they get more stock in the next couple of weeks. Do you see any red flags?
The inclusions in the .43 seem more visible in this video than on the website (crystal/needles) but is noted as eye clean. At this size stone, not sure I will ever see it in real life. Thoughts?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s just a a piece of lint on the 0.43, there‘s also a 0.43 F if you don’t want to wait.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice @RMOO ...I don't see anything in the .43 but my eyesight is not that great. At regular viewing size, I would think
they would all be fine. I would trust your SA.

chere

Shiny_Rock
I am currently looking at 0.46ct (4.96mm) center, and then two 0.43ct (4.86mm) and two 0.41(4.78mm.) Anyone have an opinion on whether this is too much of a difference in mms between the largest and smallest stones? Should I try to keep them all closer to 0.43ct (4.86mm?)

This is going to be a gorgeous ring.

My 2ctw 5 stone (size 5) has a slight graduation like this. It’s not very noticeable since the band is curved.

Do the crown heights match?

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to be a gorgeous ring.

My 2ctw 5 stone (size 5) has a slight graduation like this. It’s not very noticeable since the band is curved.

Do the crown heights match?

Yes, they are all 15%

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
My biggest concern was having the overall width of the ring rub against my other fingers.
Here is my 5-stone (each diamond is .40, GIA H color SI1eye-clean, ideal HCA 1.1-1.72) on a 6.5 finger.

The setting sits low and has thin milgrain bezels. This is the most comfortable ring I have.

IMG_4399.jpeg IMG_4401.jpeg

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That video reminds me why I love a perfectly cut MRBs so much.

How will you set them? I am also in the process of planning a multi-stone band and I am thinking I will bezel it like @luckygreen317 and others because I want the ring to me very damage-proof and comfortable.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
That video reminds me why I love a perfectly cut MRBs so much.

How will you set them? I am also in the process of planning a multi-stone band and I am thinking I will bezel it like @luckygreen317 and others because I want the ring to me very damage-proof and comfortable.

I’m going with an open basket band, I’m told good for everyday wear. The bezel bands I’ve seen here on PS certainly are gorgeous (are they ever!) just not my personal aesthetic. I’d love to see yours when you have it. Make sure you post it in the 5 stone thread.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I received my band yesterday, and pretty quickly noticed that the diamond sizes did not look like they were in the correct order. So, I pulled out my loop, and sure enough, instead of being set .41, .43, .46, .44, .41, they were set 0.43, 0.46, 0.41, 0.44, 0.41. The requested setting order was written out on the sales order, so not a great first impression of the bench. Add in disappointment because I was so excited to receive the ring, and now I will likely have to send it back for correction, and a longer wait.

So now my next questions to you all is: Since three of the stones will need to be repositioned, should I request a completely new setting? I am also wondering if they have levels of benches, and since the first bench got this so wrong, should I request that it be bumped to a higher bench?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I received my band yesterday, and pretty quickly noticed that the diamond sizes did not look like they were in the correct order. So, I pulled out my loop, and sure enough, instead of being set .41, .43, .46, .44, .41, they were set 0.43, 0.46, 0.41, 0.44, 0.41. The requested setting order was written out on the sales order, so not a great first impression of the bench. Add in disappointment because I was so excited to receive the ring, and now I will likely have to send it back for correction, and a longer wait.

So now my next questions to you all is: Since three of the stones will need to be repositioned, should I request a completely new setting? I am also wondering if they have levels of benches, and since the first bench got this so wrong, should I request that it be bumped to a higher bench?

That is really annoying. Smart of you to check. I don't know if it needs a new setting from a technical standpoint, but I would be bothered enough to ask, as well as asking them to bump to a higher bench--why not give it a try? The mistake they made seems really sloppy.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
That is really annoying. Smart of you to check. I don't know if it needs a new setting from a technical standpoint, but I would be bothered enough to ask, as well as asking them to bump to a higher bench--why not give it a try? The mistake they made seems really sloppy.

Really sloppy, indeed. Do they not read the orders? And even if there were no notes, with an overall .2mm difference is stone sizes (a visible difference when placed side-by-side) why would they place the smallest stone in the center? I'm really trying not to get to angry, because I think (hope) they will make this right, but it's the lack of common sense that perplexes me.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Really sloppy, indeed. Do they not read the orders? And even if there were no notes, with an overall .2mm difference is stone sizes (a visible difference when placed side-by-side) why would they place the smallest stone in the center? I'm really trying not to get to angry, because I think (hope) they will make this right, but it's the lack of common sense that perplexes me.

I’m sure they will make it right, but you’re right to feel that way. It’s a mistake that never should’ve happened, given that you could even spot the error with the naked eye.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Is the setting done with WF or another vendor?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was with WF

Did you call them? I am sure they will send you a mailing label immediately. So sorry this happened - I can only imagine your frustration! They will make it right and it should be pronto!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results