shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond solitaire pendant : help with stone and setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
DH would like to give me a pendant...
9.gif

Tim told me that there is not much visual difference between 0.9 and 1 ct (diameter 6.2 mm and 6.5 mm...) Which size should I choose ?

There is also the question about the setting :

I like the Tolkowsky setting (here attached) but I am a bit concerned that it will flip often. If I choose this setting, then I have to buy a tolkowsky stone (which rules out the last stone I posted below : the 1.014 H SI1).

On the other hand, I love Mara's pendant made by GOG for her Regent : here the link to the thread :

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gog-saved-my-regent.12455/

wich setting would you advise ? Any other ideas of dainty settings ?

Here are the 3 stones I picked from GOG inventory. Please, see the links (I am computer dummy and couldn't manage to attach pics and specs)

0.904ct E SI2
Round H&A (eye clean) http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2246

0.91ct G SI2 Round H&A (The inclusions on this diamond are broken up
in different places and are not visible to the eye.) http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2137/

1.014ct H SI1 Round H&A http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2855/

Which size and specs would you go for the stone ?

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP
1.gif

Pendantsweb.jpg

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Any advice for the pendant ?
4.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
If money is not a factor, I would go with the 1+ carat diamond. If money is a factor, I would go with the E color 0.9 diamond.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with hikerchick, if money is a consideration, either the first or second will make a beautiful pendant stone. But if you really want it to be over 1 carat, then choose #3. I have an almost 0.75 carat stone that is just gorgeous, but I didn''t care about hitting the 0.75 carat mark.

As far as the setting, I have my stone in a 3 prong martini setting, and I like it a lot. Really it''s all about personal preference, just get the one you like the best.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also would go with the H Si1, 1 ct. stone.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice ! I have to say that if I choose the setting by Tolkowsky then I must buy a Tolkowsky stone which would rule out the 1 ct H SI1...Which I love...

Coda, do you have a pic of your martini setting ? I would love to see it !

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
How your pendant is beautiful !
30.gif

What I love is that you get the impression that you almost don''t see the setting ! Do you think GOG can custom make it as well ?

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
and I forgot to mention Coda that your WF 3 prong 3 ct bracelet is gorgeous !! I am drooling over it since a long time...
18.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 1:13:35 PM
Author: ayala_jessica
How your pendant is beautiful !
30.gif

What I love is that you get the impression that you almost don''t see the setting ! Do you think GOG can custom make it as well ?

I actually don''t think this is a custom made setting. I think Whiteflash may have gotten it from Stuller, but I''m not sure. I would imagine GOG could get this setting without it having to be custom made.

Also, one other consideration, I don''t know how long you like your chain to be, but I decided I like a longer chain. I had a 16 inch chain, and my chain is now 18 inches long. I never wore the pendant when it was a 16 inch chain because it annoyed me and just seemed too short. So, when I decided to get a longer chain, I also upgraded my diamond. If you don''t want to go through what I went through, find out what chain is your favorite length.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 6:09:31 AM
Author:ayala_jessica

Tim told me that there is not much visual difference between 0.9 and 1 ct (diameter 6.2 mm and 6.5 mm...) Which size should I choose ?
He''s right - the visual difference is negligible, so I''d suggesting selecting the stone that most closely fits your budget and color/clarity requirements.

With most of your other questions, there simply is no wrong answer. You should pick what most appeals to YOU.
1.gif

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Many thanks for sharing your thoughts !

Coda : you are right about the chain, I don''t know which length should fit...I think it depends on the setting..Maybe with the Tolkowky it would be nice with a 16 Inch because the pendant is set lower from the chain...With your setting a longer chain shows better the diamond...

Oh I don''t know what to do
26.gif
And I just showed my DH your WF bracelet and he fell in love with it....

Aldgewey thank you maybe thanks to you I can save some $ and invest them in a future diamond purchase
31.gif

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Here are new and more detailed face and side views of the tolkowsky pendant setting Tim sent me.

Actually it is also very beautiful ! Gwawk...the choice is difficult !
40.gif

Do you think it can flip easily ??

Thanks for your imput
1.gif

Tolkowsky face view 2.JPG

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
and here is the side view...

solitaire pendant_side_tolkowsky 2.JPG

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would pick the 'E' stone.

It's an AGS 000 and also has the advantage of not hitting the 1Ct mark. Which means you don't pay the price premium attached to it. If psychologically, missing the 1Ct mark doesn't mean that much for you then that's a very nice diamond that would look very good in a pendant.

I notice on the side view that the link in the middle of the setting is tilted forward 45 degrees. Is this part of the design? If so, would it help prevent flipping?

As someone has mentioned, it'd be worthwhile talking to GoG if you do decide on the stone whether they can do a similar setting in order to keep everything within the single store. GoG appears to have a very good reputation!

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Tanalasta.

About the setting I don''t know if it is part of the design in order to prevent it from flipping. I need to talk to Tim to clarify this...

I don''t mind either to stay below the "magic number" if we can save some $ for the same size appearance.

I also need to decide which metal I want. Most of my jewels are YG but it seems that this kind of pendant would come out nicer in white metal....What do you think ?

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've always been a platinum fan. White gold if absolutely necessarily.

There's something about the white colour that just accentuates diamonnds.

If you can afford the platinum and pick a highly polished finish of an alloy like Pt/Ru or Pt/iridium etc... then it'll keep it's colour. I suppose you could always rhodium plate platinum as well (lots of discussion on PS about the matter).

It's again a matter of personal preference. Diamond Pendants in white gold or platinum are IMHO more classic looking. I wonder if they do them also in palladium if cost is an issue?

Another option is to do the chain in white gold and the setting in platinum if price is really an issue.

On an aside, try different chain lengths to see what works out best for you but I wouldn't go too short. Ideall you want the pendant to hang snugly under your neck and above the neckline of your clothes.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
For what it''s worth, the design doesn''t look like it will flip very easily to me.

Take it with a pinch of salt though - I''m a guy and I''ve never worn a diamond pendant
20.gif

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 7:40:51 AM
Author: tanalasta
I''ve always been a platinum fan. White gold if absolutely necessarily.

There''s something about the white colour that just accentuates diamonnds.

If you can afford the platinum and pick a highly polished finish of an alloy like Pt/Ru or Pt/iridium etc... then it''ll keep it''s colour. I suppose you could always rhodium plate platinum as well (lots of discussion on PS about the matter).

It''s again a matter of personal preference. Diamond Pendants in white gold or platinum are IMHO more classic looking. I wonder if they do them also in palladium if cost is an issue?

Another option is to do the chain in white gold and the setting in platinum if price is really an issue.

On an aside, try different chain lengths to see what works out best for you but I wouldn''t go too short. Ideall you want the pendant to hang snugly under your neck and above the neckline of your clothes.
I totally agree with you. But my problem is not to choose between white gold or platinum but between yellow gold and a white metal. The problem is that with my skin tone, yellow gold looks much better that was why I have all of my jewels in that metal. Now, I fear that the diamond would be less flattered in a yellow setting and also if I go for platinum or white gold would it fit with my rings and bracelets in yellow ?

If all goes well for us, I may also get in the future a diamond bracelet and a diamond solitaire by Leon Mege so that will be in platinum and would go well with the pendant but nothing is sure yet...

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 7:48:40 AM
Author: rjdodd
For what it''s worth, the design doesn''t look like it will flip very easily to me.

Take it with a pinch of salt though - I''m a guy and I''ve never worn a diamond pendant
20.gif

lol..well you guys may not wear pendants so frequently but you can have very practical and geometry oriented minds ;-) so I take your advice into consideration !

Thanks !

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel sure that design was intended to reduce flipping. And I think the pendant part should be in white metal, and then you can wear it with any color chain, two-tone or all white.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that setting, so simple. I would get the G myself. It''s going to definitely give the look of a 1 ct., and save you some money.

As for the metal, that''s a personal choice.

I gotta say it again though, I really love that setting!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
flipping drives me nuts. personally, for me, i found that it needs to have enough weight in the setting to let it hang properly. not enough weight, flip, flip, flip.

IMO, that setting looks too lightweight for me.

I would get the pendant in white gold with both an 18k yellow gold and 18k white gold chain. mix and match!

edited to add - the more i look at that setting the more i don't like it. it's not flat in the back so it seems to me that it would also lean to the left and lean to the right.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2007 9:21:28 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I feel sure that design was intended to reduce flipping. And I think the pendant part should be in white metal, and then you can wear it with any color chain, two-tone or all white.

This is a GREAT idea. That way if you make the move to all white metal your pendant doesn''t have to be changed. And you can use the yellow in your chain to go with your skin. I would probably do the chain 2 tone though. Do you have another pendant to try this with?

Cause you don''t want the yellow in the chain to draw attention away from the diamond.
23.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think that is a lovely pendant design. I would just ask Tim about the flipping issue. I have a 1/2 carat pendant that is bezel set in white gold that I wore on a yellow gold wheat chain for a while. I really liked the look and I don''t think the chain detracted from the diamond at all.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Heart felt thanks to you all for your sound advice and creative ideas !

I really like the idea of having the pendant set in white metal and 2 chains with white and yellow..That is very smart !
36.gif

Thank you Ellen ! I think I will also go for the G because it will face up absolutely white and Tim assured me it was a wonderful stone.

I had a "love at first sight" thing for that setting but then I read many posts here mentioning flipping of the stone etc.. but I will definitely make sure with Tim that everything is right.

Now...White gold or platinum for the basket itself ? I wonder if there is much difference of aspect between white gold and platinum ?

Another question ? what length the chain should be ?

I have a chain that is 16.54 Inch (42 cm) and I find it already too long because it goes way below (at leat 1,5 inch) my collar bones and I would like the diamond to sit just below the collar bone.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go with WG myself. I think platinum is great for rings, that get abused more, but for earrings and pendants, I think WG is fine.

I can''t wait to see this! And I am definitely keeping this in mind for me in the future.

Be sure and post pics!

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Ellen ! I am very pleased that you like this setting as well
1.gif

I will call Tim to see what are my possibilities of chain colours etc.. and especially the length of it because since I live in Switzerland I don''t want to get it wrong..It would be kinda hassle to send it back to fix it etc..

Sure I will post pics once I get the pendant
1.gif
It is the least I could do since I soooooooooooooo much enjoyed lurking around looking at all the beauties showed
here
2.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I agree that white gold is fine for a pendant and I would go 16". I just had a new pendant made before Christmas that is 16" and I think it is the perfect length for a solitaire pendant.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Update : I called Tim and asked him couple of questions about the diamond/setting/metal possibilities.

1. I decided to go for the G SI2 eye clean 0.91 ct cut by Tolkowsky. Tim assured me it is an incredible stone and sure enough we can see it on the Diamxray and on the Gemex report (triple very high flush)

2. The setting may tilt very slightly when worn but it doesn't flip over by any means. So actually the tilt may even underline the scintillation of the diamond
9.gif

3. Tim will check with Tolkowsky if it is possible to make the basket in WG and to have 2 chains : one in WG and one in YG so I can have versatility.

Of course I'll keep you posted as soon as I get the final info !

Sundial : do you have a pic of your pendant ?? I would love to see it !

Many thanks to you all you help me considerably to make my choice in a very short time
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results