shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond solitaire pendant help please :)

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I'm wanting to purchase a diamond pendant for myself (my first non-maul diamond too!), and am keen for some advice. I've been reading the forums for some time now, and have searched for pendant threads (as well as scoped out the SMTB solitaire pendant thread), but am keen for some advice..

I'm wanting to keep the cost fairly low. I'm in Aus, and would like to keep it around $1000 USD (less would be fabulous, but if I can stay under $1500 AUD, I'd be happy). I'm after a bezel pendant, most likely from Brian Gavin (the fixed bezel, although have nothing against the Barbara - just trying to keep costs down). I'm not fixed on Brian Gavin, but do like the idea of having a super ideal stone. This brings me to my next question - is a super ideal stone wasted in a pendant? I've also thought that going with an expert or premium select whiteflash stone could be a nice way to compromise a little here.. I'd definitely also consider BGD Blue, although they don't seem to come in smaller ct weights..

I expect with my budget, I'd be looking around .3 - .4. I'm happy so long as it's eye clean. It'll be a white gold bezel - I'd love to have a lower colour (say around j) to get a little more size, but I wonder if a bright white g might have a little more presence.. Any thoughts?

TL:DR - is it worth getting a super ideal stone for a pendant on a budget? Is colour really going to noticeable in such a small size? What would you get with a similar budget?

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
PS I'd be open to pre-loved, but I've been looking on here, DB and LT for awhile with no luck..

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
IMO super ideals aren't quite necessary for smaller stones. Harder to see faceting and light performance differences seem to be minimal. Even WF's ES line can be a bit of overkill.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
solgen|1452477388|3973940 said:
IMO super ideals aren't quite necessary for smaller stones. Harder to see faceting and light performance differences seem to be minimal. Even WF's ES line can be a bit of overkill.

I agree with solgen about smaller stones - especially if you're getting a bezel setting.
Good luck with your search

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a .46 E/SI2/ideal (used HCAtool) diamond bezel white gold pendant from Blue Nile for $1010 recently. Honestly, the sparkle factor matters, but I don't see how clarity matters as long as it's eye-clean in this size. I got the E only because that's what they had in my price range for an ideal cut diamond, but I'd easily drop to an H or I for a pendant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results