shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Software for new company.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well O-P colour has an affect on the face up appearance of the diamond, while very strong florescence does not apparently ,that is the point I'm trying to figure out here as I've personally never dealt with stones over medium florescence ,just because we have avoided them in the past due to the stigma etc.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Denverappraiser: I am sorry to but in but pertaining to your post.. When I look (drool) over OEC diamonds they all seem to be in the lower range.. and the modern brilliant seems often to be in the G-K color range (also the DEF but I don't look at them :lol: ) someday I hope to either buy an OEC or buy a new one from GOG.. for a pendant.. I just notice this often.. this lower colored stone color in the old European's.. sorry to go off topic... must say that the original poster is truly an 'entrepreneur' :razz:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tekate|1386541828|3570119 said:
Denverappraiser: I am sorry to but in but pertaining to your post.. When I look (drool) over OEC diamonds they all seem to be in the lower range.. and the modern brilliant seems often to be in the G-K color range (also the DEF but I don't look at them :lol: ) someday I hope to either buy an OEC or buy a new one from GOG.. for a pendant.. I just notice this often.. this lower colored stone color in the old European's.. sorry to go off topic... must say that the original poster is truly an 'entrepreneur' :razz:
Some of this has to do with what various mines have produced over the history of diamond mining. I'm told that, in general, stones from the Canadian and Russian mines tend to have higher clarity and color than the stones from the old African mines. Smaller sizes too by the way. I think a bigger effect is the history of recutting. A stone mined in, say, 1910 will have likely passed through the hands of at least 3 or 4 different owners since it was first cut and sold and possibly quite a lot more. At each of those steps a decision was made whether to recut it or not. The higher the grade and the bigger the stone, meaning the higher the price, the more likely it is that they'll do it. It's a one way trip but it DOES pay off, or at least it did. Recutting the low colors didn't come with the same paycheck. OEC's now have their own following and an F/VS of a decent size is nearly impossible to find in an antique but this is a fairly recent effect. Fashion is that way.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
denverappraiser|1386551944|3570207 said:
Some of this has to do with what various mines have produced over the history of diamond mining. I'm told that, in general, stones from the Canadian and Russian mines tend to have higher clarity and color than the stones from the old African mines. Smaller sizes too by the way. I think a bigger effect is the history of recutting. A stone mined in, say, 1910 will have likely passed through the hands of at least 3 or 4 different owners since it was first cut and sold and possibly quite a lot more. At each of those steps a decision was made whether to recut it or not. The higher the grade and the bigger the stone, meaning the higher the price, the more likely it is that they'll do it. It's a one way trip but it DOES pay off, or at least it did. Recutting the low colors didn't come with the same paycheck. OEC's now have their own following and an F/VS of a decent size is nearly impossible to find in an antique but this is a fairly recent effect. Fashion is that way.

Are old cuts becoming notably popular outside PS? I had thought this was a recent phenomenon largely contained in the PS bubble - and had also taken note of DS' observation in another thread that there have been more lower-colours for sale in the pre-loved subforum recently as more people are apparently concluding that perhaps the low-colour old cut trend isn't for them after all.. high-coloured old cuts outside PS?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PS, as much as we all love it here, is a tiny little piece of the diamond business. PS people tend to be passionate and there's some high dollar people participating here, which is a combination that creates trends, and that causes industry people to watch what's being discussed here but this is WAY under 1% of the market. Heck, the whole combined Internet business is something like 5%.

That said, vintage and estate jewelry is doing well in the sorts of stores that know how to sell it. OEC's and OMC's are a significant piece of that. How well the 'new' OEC's from the likes of GOG are doing is, I'm sure, proprietary information but they do seem to be happy with the line and the number of competitors with similar products seems to be growing. Apparently they think it's worth their trouble.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1386552760|3570215 said:
denverappraiser|1386551944|3570207 said:

Are old cuts becoming notably popular outside PS? I had thought this was a recent phenomenon largely contained in the PS bubble - and had also taken note of DS' observation in another thread that there have been more lower-colours for sale in the pre-loved subforum recently as more people are apparently concluding that perhaps the low-colour old cut trend isn't for them after all.. high-coloured old cuts outside PS?

I think possibly they are becoming more popular, or maybe just more people are discovering them - people are finding Pricescope because they have seen a celebrity or a fashion magazine with an Antique ring, Antique diamond, or Antique piece of jewellery. Vintage rings and stones are in fashion, they google/look on the internet seeking more information. Antique jewellery stores are doing O.K and more people are looking for & asking for them. I went somewhere the other day (hairdressers I think it was) and a girl made a comment about a celebrity wearing a ring that had an Antique diamond. She is not a member of the P/S community and we are fairly limited by what we see here in Australia. I do however agree with DS's observation that there has been a lot of movement in the lower colour spectrum and indeed many old cut stones in general within the P/S community as people trade up and sideways, if you like to find the right one that suits them in size, colour and cut. Finding an Old Cut that you like isn't as black & white or as easy as finding a well cut RB.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Antique and vintage goods overall are booming and that is extending into jewelery in my opinion.
Its part of an overall trend.
Antique and vintage stores are booming in many areas.
Ebay is extending the boom across the country because people are not limited to what is in their own area.
I know of several people who have totally redone their houses in Antique/vintage and when it came time to buy jewelery they want something to match the feel of their homes.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi , im in contact with the cutting company in india right now, regarding the sarin files for the ASET or Diamcalc software.
Just to confirm I need the full Sarin File (*.srn file ) ?

And not just a sarin printout like this one
Measurement 5.73-5.66*3.8
L:W 1.01
Total Depth % 67.10
Table % 65.00
Crown Angle 37.42
Pav. Angle 61.41
Culet NONE
Girdle M-SL.TK, 2.342.54,2.34%
Crown Height % 13.58
Pav.Height % 50.94
Star Lenth % 0
Lower Half % 0

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the thoughts Neil, Karl, and arkie.

This sort of thing is very interesting to me, and I'm sure to those who are invested in the trade - trends, what inspires them, what creates them, what propagates them, what dissolves them... we definitely see clear trends and cycles on this forum but my sensibilities are of the ostrich variety in this regard and I couldn't begin to guess how they correlate to the market at large. In this case it sounds like they do - the different markets are feeding off each other...

The "new" lines of precision-cut old styles - I only know of two, GOG's and Canera's - are even more interesting in that they especially appeal to a niche of a niche: someone who appreciates precision cutting AND to whom the unusual faceting appeals AND who is willing to pay a premium for a branded stone AND who has no hangups about antique-looking stones actually being old by some definition... and to think that someone somewhere probably once made the same argument for H&A MRBs :bigsmile:

I'll be reading DiaGem's thread on value-adds and the success of the internet business with interest.

//threadjack, sorry OP//

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results