shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond shape for solitaire necklace?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
Now that I practically finalized everything for the engagement ring, I have the following question:

Which shape diamond do you think makes for the best solitaire necklace and why?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I think a pear shape (point up) looks very elegant in about a 50-80ct. stone...no, my tongue is NOT in my cheek!...I'm dead serious!

Solitares are, in my opinion, hard to pull off unless you can really see the rock!

Well, I'll give in a little and say that a round 1ct. stone on a very fine chain looks great - but not a bezel set, which looks to me like the bottom of a AAA battery.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally love round brilliants set in plain solitaires but it has to be a decent size.
1.gif
Yanno me!
rodent.gif

I love 1c or larger diamonds in solitaires...I like VERY thin bezel settings, not the big thick chunky metal ring ones..but very thin metal ring...or just a plain 3 prong solitaire. I also do not like when they have a big ole hook to hang the basket from...I like when it looks invisible and just as though it is floating on the neck. Not alot of metal around it.

My two cents! I have often thought though that something like a pear would be lovely, but I am definitely a classic RB girl. Round baby!
1.gif
I am waiting with bated breath until I can get a solitaire pendant...though it won't be for about a year or so. Even if I need to start out small with something like a H&A .25c and then upgrade over and over until I have that 1c...I'm doing it!
1.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Well, I am going to say the PEAR (which I have for an engagement ring ) because of the gorgeous tear drop look. Funny this question should come up .. just today I saw a woman with a bezel set round diamond pendant, and it looked to be about 2-3 carats. I thought the same thing that Gary said ...it just didn't do anything for me. This same woman had what looked to be 2-3 carat studs (each) in her ear too!!
love.gif

When I was browsing at Tiffany's in New York looking at dangling earings, I thought that a round diamond with a dropped pear hanging below it is my FAVORITE design!
appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I like the thought of a teardrop pear.....it wars with the RB thought often. Esp since fancies are often cheaper for more *bling*.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Fancy..what is the l/w ratio of your pear..that's the one in your picture right? I love the heavy teadrop look with a fatter bottom!!
1.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer simple designs myself. Here is a RB diamond that I recently had my jeweler reset in platinum, in a thin bezel setting and I had it attached to a very thin chain, so that it looks suspended from it.
Like Mara, I didn't want the big hook associated with basket settings or a lot of metal around the diamond itself. I had the chain attached directly to the bezel surrounding the diamond.
I love RB's for anything, but I am also very much a matching person. I would definitely match the shape of the diamond to the shape of my engagement ring.

109_0903 (3).JPG

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
I WISH Mara, the pear in my picture is a picture of the Taylor Burton pear (which I think is 67 carats if I'm not mistaken)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tongue.gif

I too like fatter pears, and mine is a fatter pear. I will have to plug in my pear dimensions to the fancy shape calculator to let you know my ratio ... I used to know, but alas, old age had made me forget everything that I didn't learn in the last five minutes.
sick.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Since Pear shapes seem to be dominating this thread, I thought you would all like to see this magnificent pendant....drool....

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

3pairs-2.jpg

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Here's our favorite one...

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

pENDANT6.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Round brilliants look best to me. Very classy and very elegant. If I ever put together a second diamond pendant, aside from the one I'm getting for my b-day, it would be a pear shape.

Michelle

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kayla17,

What size is your diamond? I'm trying to decide how to set my diamond for a pendant and am wondering about that setting. . .I tried three different settings on and that is one I'm considering. Do you find your diamond needs more frequent cleaning since the back rests directly upon your skin? Also, how much did you pay for the setting?

Thanks,
Michelle

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Lesley, is that pendant from your web site? What are the stats?

Just lovely.
love.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Fancy:

Both of them are ours - please clarify which one you are referring to and I'll post the specs.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
Hello Lesley,

Just a few quick questions about the setting for a pear solitaire with respect to the prongs.

I noticed that each pear diamond is set in 3 prongs? Is this enough to protect the diamond or do you recommend more?

Thanks!

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Lesley, I was posting about the three pear drop pendant -- just incredible!!!
love.gif
lickout.gif
love.gif
. THANKS!

To the question about prongs on a pair .... my pear has five prongs, two at the fat base, and then two on either side of the pointy end, and then one prong on the actual point.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about that collet-setting? It is not often seen (no idea why, but I do remember the complaints of my jeweler when I asked for one). Just in case the word is wrong, what I have in mind is a strype of metal catching the girdle of the stone and nothing else. It can be quite invisible and, if anything, mark the shape of the stone even better. This settingis used, for example, in Tiffany's 'diamonds by the yard' line. It is quite popular, but I don't know other easy to find online examples. This can be done for pears too and could be great!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
WOW, LeslieH, that pear necklace is awsome. I love pears, and these look spectacular -- very white. Not a necklace I'd get a lot of wear out of, but I'd sure like to borrow it for an evening -- hehe
9.gif
9.gif

Generally, I'm not a solitaire pendant person unless the diamond is a really good size (more than 1.5 ct). I had a heart-shaped diamond necklace (was once in a ring and then reset to a necklace) of 0.5 ct, and it was way too small. I hardly ever wore it, so I ended up trading it in with my original engagement ring to get a decent upgrade for my hand.

Diamondlil

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
imho gem stones look a lot better than diamonds in a necklace.
The pears above look nice but would look even better with rubies , spinel or zircon.
That’s on thing nice about them they don’t get as much abuse as a ring so you can use some of the softer gems.
A huge zircon in a great color would be awesome.
Something like this:

http://ajsgems.com/ZBL/ZBL-00112.htm
or:
http://ajsgems.com/ZHN/ZHN-00002.htm
or:
http://ajsgems.com/ZWT/ZWT-00014.htm
or:
http://ajsgems.com/RUB/RUB-00068.htm
or:
http://ajsgems.com/SPI/SPI-00053.htm

I like the looks of a bezel set for gems other than pears.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
This is what I did with my original e-stone. I like it because it has the drop like a pear, but is an RB. The jeweler who set it had several interesting options besides just the bezel or basket set. (I hope the picture turns out -- I'm new to that).

pendent.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty, lop!

Now I am intrigued. A pear teardrop would be beautiful as a necklace...and I could get a well-cut one around .70c for about $2,500! The diameter of the stone would be as big length wise almost as a 2c RB! That should get noticed. I will have to continue to think about this one!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Does she have earrings of a certain shape?

I like pears as pendants, as well as rounds, and princesses if set in a "diamond shape." Either way, though, a stone for a pendant has got to be *big* enough not to get lost around the throat. You can get away with a smaller diamond on the finger, but you've got to have something more substantial for a pendant.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Lesley! The RB half bezel looks like MINE! But I gotta say, I luv that 3 pear drop you posted a pic of as well!
love.gif

Neat pendant, Lop. I almost went with a bar setting, but fell in luv with the half bezel look.

I really, really like pear, point up, for a pendant. I went RB because I have other fancies and didn't have a RB.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
For pendants, I really like rounds, pears and hearts. What about a well cut trillion??
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
PQ, that is a beautiful pendant. I'm not a fan of the full bezel, but your half bezel is beautiful and different.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
TY TY Lop! I hope Lesley gets her typing fingers back here and tells us all about that gorgeous pear drop she posted! It is to die for!
love.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My vote would be for either a round, teardrop, or emerald cut. PQ's round is lovely, and I've seen some pretty teardrops, too. Have only seen one emerald cut pendant in person, and it belongs to my mother - handed down from her grandmother. It's set in an Art Deco type setting, and it's beautiful and unusual.
1.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to have kept you waiting on the specs of the pear shape pendant, but it is a bit crazy around here
1.gif

1. 2.20 F VS2
2. 1.55 F VVS2
3. 1.04 D VS2

All were GIA certified. The platinum chain and settings were hand made to the customer's specifications.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/11/2003 10:52:49 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

Kayla17,

What size is your diamond? I'm trying to decide how to set my diamond for a pendant and am wondering about that setting. . .I tried three different settings on and that is one I'm considering. Do you find your diamond needs more frequent cleaning since the back rests directly upon your skin? Also, how much did you pay for the setting?

Thanks,
Michelle----------------

Hi Michelle,
It is a RB .65, G or H color, VS2 clarity.
I originally had the diamond in a ring and one day closed the closet door on my hand and the prongs broke and the diamond popped out.
I have never taken it off to clean it. I find that when I am showering, I just put soap and wash it with warm water and it looks sparkly.
I happen to LOVE PQ's half bezel pendant from Whiteflash and might have gone that route, but the jeweler that I went to had matching bezel set earrings and a matching bezel set bracelet, so I decided to just make it a set.
Plus, I am such a procrastinator, that if I didn't do it at that moment, I would never have gone back to have it done.
They charged me $275 for everything, it took a week and they shipped it to me when it was done.
2.gif

I have another set, in the solstice Octet setting. I will see if I can post some pics later.
By the way, I love that three pear pendant.
lickout.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/12/2003 10:37:14 AM lop wrote:

This is what I did with my original e-stone. I like it because it has the drop like a pear, but is an RB. The jeweler who set it had several interesting options besides just the bezel or basket set. (I hope the picture turns out -- I'm new to that). ----------------

This is very up-to-date... What are the specs? Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results