Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond setting help

Rye956

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 28, 2011
Messages
12
I have decided on the diamond size which is .75ct but I need help in the right setting to make it look bigger... Should I go with 1.5mm 4 prong or 2mm knife edge 4 prong? Or should I just do a comfort fit. Thanks in advance.
 

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
438
Rye,

Knife-edge designs appear thinner than comfort fit designs, so if you're object is to get the daintiest ring possible, that would be the 1.5mm knife-edge.
 

Rye956

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 28, 2011
Messages
12
minmin001|1312228528|2981763 said:
I'd also get 6 prong instead of 4 prong to make it look bigger
Thanks for the quick reply. Love this forum. I didn't know that 6 prongs makes it bigger as compare to 4 prongs... Why is tha?
 

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 21, 2010
Messages
4,273
Be aware that some people find knife-edge shanks to be uncomfortable - like me, I don't like the knife edge because depending on how I hold my hand or what my grip may be, the knife edge can press in against the adjacent fingers in a rather painful way.

Also, "comfort fit" is a designation meaning the inside of the shank is softly rounded -- knife edge ring shanks are available in comfort fit so you need not choose one or the other (unless of course your chosen vendor chooses not to offer comfort-fit knife-edge ring settings).
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,114
I only have a few knife edge RHR and find them very uncomfortable. I can't wait to see your final ring.
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
Rye956 said:
minmin001|1312228528|2981763 said:
I'd also get 6 prong instead of 4 prong to make it look bigger
Thanks for the quick reply. Love this forum. I didn't know that 6 prongs makes it bigger as compare to 4 prongs... Why is tha?
To your question about why 6 prongs makes it look bigger...it gives the stone an outline essentially which can make it seem larger. With a stone in that size, it may look square-ish with a 4prong. So a 6 prong helps it look rounder and, in the process, bigger.
 

Rye956

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 28, 2011
Messages
12
marcy|1312242384|2981871 said:
I only have a few knife edge RHR and find them very uncomfortable. I can't wait to see your final ring.
I'll post pics when I get it. I decided on a 4 prong since I think thats what is available on James Allen. Thanks!
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Rye956|1312399631|2983320 said:
marcy|1312242384|2981871 said:
I only have a few knife edge RHR and find them very uncomfortable. I can't wait to see your final ring.
I'll post pics when I get it. I decided on a 4 prong since I think thats what is available on James Allen. Thanks!

YAY! I have a 4 prong and love it! It shows off more of my stone, and while it may seem from a distance or to others initally to be more "cushiony" shaped, I never thought it looked anything but round!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top