shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Selection Help

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
Hi,

The vendor had found the following stone. However, the HCA scored this diamond 0.7. Please advise whether the angle combination works well together? Potential obstruction due to shallower PA 40.6? Any other potential issues with this angle combination?

Please see below pictures:

3FC61E6B-C2E7-4FC3-B2E8-D6A069B6B71A.jpeg 98807940-37F4-4326-B224-6BA45E16058A.jpeg 05C66490-DFE2-42AF-BC79-DA2BC324CA10.jpeg AA8AB154-B9B4-4192-BD32-3FE0A441D7E9.jpeg EE15D4CC-C09B-4BAD-B7DF-A48BC4004DB8.jpeg

Thank you for your advise in advance.

Attachments

• 3F7ECFC5-9ABF-4003-970B-372972C82672.jpeg
    3F7ECFC5-9ABF-4003-970B-372972C82672.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BB5B171F-5972-47A3-926D-1C08A73D50A6.jpeg
    BB5B171F-5972-47A3-926D-1C08A73D50A6.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 13

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HCA is a tool to reject stones that fall over 2-2.5ish. Anything under that will have angles that should work well together.

As you say, lower scores indicate shallower stones. It may be spreadier than other similar weight stones, which would be a bonus.

IIRC smaller tables and shorter LGFs can risk creating a stone that is too dark under the table when head-on, because the fatter arrows will take more space up under the limited table area, but I don't think it's an issue with this stone, going from the photos.

Have you seen it in person? If so, see if you can view it on/near your hand at arms length, to see how the obstruction/contrast patterns look.

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
HCA is a tool to reject stones that fall over 2-2.5ish. Anything under that will have angles that should work well together.

As you say, lower scores indicate shallower stones. It may be spreadier than other similar weight stones, which would be a bonus.

IIRC smaller tables and shorter LGFs can risk creating a stone that is too dark under the table when head-on, because the fatter arrows will take more space up under the limited table area, but I don't think it's an issue with this stone, going from the photos.

Have you seen it in person? If so, see if you can view it on/near your hand at arms length, to see how the obstruction/contrast patterns look.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I am not able to see the stone in person. Since it is an independent vendor, I am not able to return the stone once purchased. I have been looking for a stone with 34.5/40.8 and 56 to 57 table for a long period, but I can’t seem to locate one. Should I go ahead and purchase this stone in this case? Thank you.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My e-ring diamond has very similar specs (granted, similar doesn’t mean equal and in the GIA world, with rounding and averaging, equal doesn’t necessarily actually mean equal), but you are well within ideal specs (or very close). i think it’s definitely worth a further look.

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
My e-ring diamond has very similar specs (granted, similar doesn’t mean equal and in the GIA world, with rounding and averaging, equal doesn’t necessarily actually mean equal), but you are well within ideal specs (or very close). i think it’s definitely worth a further look.

Does your diamond show many sign of obstruction when viewed at arms-length? The diamond is not available to be viewed before I make the purchase, and I am not able to return it once purchased. Thus, I want to ensure it’s a sparkly diamond before I proceed. Thank you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which country are you in?

I would very extremely wary of purchasing any diamond without the ability to return it.

Use the diamond search tool at the top of the forum, selecting the Excellent box in the HCA score section, and you should have a range of options from a range of vendors to consider.

There are (literally? :lol: ) a million diamonds out there to choose from - you don't need to be tied into a single one with no ability to change or return it.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
The angles are okay, but it’s not well cut IMHO. The optical symmetry is not very pleasing to my eye.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does your diamond show many sign of obstruction when viewed at arms-length? The diamond is not available to be viewed before I make the purchase, and I am not able to return it once purchased. Thus, I want to ensure it’s a sparkly diamond before I proceed. Thank you.

I‘ve not had issues with obstruction, but my LGFs are 80% rather than 75% and my Pavillion is 43% rather than 42.5%, which I understand are factors for obstruction. Regardless, you really need to see it in person and buying a diamond sight unseen with no return policy is never advisable. Can you find another retailer with a more reasonable policy?

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
Which country are you in?

I would very extremely wary of purchasing any diamond without the ability to return it.

Use the diamond search tool at the top of the forum, selecting the Excellent box in the HCA score section, and you should have a range of options from a range of vendors to consider.

There are (literally? :lol: ) a million diamonds out there to choose from - you don't need to be tied into a single one with no ability to change or return it.

I am located in Canada, so the available stones are very limited here. I inquired many independent vendors, brick and mortar stores and online researches, but none of them were able to locate one that meet the “ideal” proportions. This stone was the only one that is within the “ideal” range. Please advise.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I am located in Canada, so the available stones are very limited here. I inquired many independent vendors, brick and mortar stores and online researches, but none of them were able to locate one that meet the “ideal” proportions. This stone was the only one that is within the “ideal” range. Please advise.

I'm in Canada and we have lots of options for buying diamonds with return policies.

Would you like some help locating a diamond from a seller that will accept returns?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't like the look of this stone. As mwilliamanderson said, it's not pleasing to my eyes. I bought a stone similar in specs & it was horrible in person. All I could see were ping pong paddles around the arrows. Too much obstruction. I think it would be fine for a pendant but if this is for a ring, I would pass. If you want to take a shot with the stone, ask for an Aset image at the very least.
I too am in Canada & it's a pain which I agree with you. Is there a cultural reason for the high clarity & colour? Have you had experience looking at other colours? What is your US budget & what size would you like to be in and around? Any chance you have thought of an upgrade in future?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Martin Sheffield is a PS-recommended vendor in Canada and, from the reviews I've read on here, very well priced:

Stones in his inventory (or which he has access to) should come up in the Diamond Search bar results:

(You will have to adjust the price filter as I'm not sure what your budget is, but I have applied filters for the Excellent HCA score and usually recommended depth and table ranges in order to reduce the numbers needing sifting.)

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
I'm in Canada and we have lots of options for buying diamonds with return policies.

Would you like some help locating a diamond from a seller that will accept returns?

Sure. Is there a way to DM me?

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
I don't like the look of this stone. As mwilliamanderson said, it's not pleasing to my eyes. I bought a stone similar in specs & it was horrible in person. All I could see were ping pong paddles around the arrows. Too much obstruction. I think it would be fine for a pendant but if this is for a ring, I would pass. If you want to take a shot with the stone, ask for an Aset image at the very least.
I too am in Canada & it's a pain which I agree with you. Is there a cultural reason for the high clarity & colour? Have you had experience looking at other colours? What is your US budget & what size would you like to be in and around? Any chance you have thought of an upgrade in future?

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, the vendor was not able to provide the ASET/ideal scope pictures.

There is no cultural reasons, so just personnel preference. I would like to stay within D,E,F and above VS1 clarity. I have tried to search for other options with the “ideal” proportion, but I had no luck in finding one. I am not thinking of upgrading in the near future; thus, I would like to find a diamond with the “ideal” proportion.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? Martin is a good resource but even he has limitations in obtaining stones. His partners are in the US (as he once mentioned to me). No harm in emailing him though.

There is no DM feature on PS.

Last edited:

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I agree that it is worthwhile connecting with Martin.

If you are interested in buying online, there are several options that are convenient for Canadians.

I like how this one looks. Blue nile is excellent for shipping to Canada. They add on the tax so you don't have any surprise fees. Returns are just sent to Toronto so they are very easy, no need to mail a return internationally.

I looked for F and VS1 so it is in your range but you aren't paying more of a premium than necessary.

Here's another option I found. It has the exact proportions you wanted but a couple things to note. First, it comes at a real premium because it is D and IF. The certificate is also 9 years old. I would probably want an updated certificate.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While this is a US vendor, High Performance Diamonds will ship internationally. Here is a Superideal cut D, VS 2.. A great price & a great upgrade policy & buyback (future proof). They are absolutely safe to pay by wire.

There isn't much on Blue Nile that I like. Too bad because they're the easiest in terms of returns.

Below is a list from Whiteflash, a super ideal cut vendor. I added G as well. I still find G very white & perhaps there is one you like among the bunch.

I tried listing them by colour but that didn't work. Take a look through the list & start eliminating by price.

** Important... if you like any of the stones, be sure to contact the vendor(s) & have them put a hold on them **

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
Martin Sheffield is a PS-recommended vendor in Canada and, from the reviews I've read on here, very well priced:

Stones in his inventory (or which he has access to) should come up in the Diamond Search bar results:

(You will have to adjust the price filter as I'm not sure what your budget is, but I have applied filters for the Excellent HCA score and usually recommended depth and table ranges in order to reduce the numbers needing sifting.)

Thank you so much. I will take a look at it.

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
What is your budget? Martin is a good resource but even he has limitations in obtaining stones. His partners are in the US (as he once mentioned to me). No harm in emailing him though.

There is no DM feature on PS.

My budget is around $36K CAD.

Lilyh

Rough_Rock
I agree that it is worthwhile connecting with Martin.

If you are interested in buying online, there are several options that are convenient for Canadians.

I like how this one looks. Blue nile is excellent for shipping to Canada. They add on the tax so you don't have any surprise fees. Returns are just sent to Toronto so they are very easy, no need to mail a return internationally.

I looked for F and VS1 so it is in your range but you aren't paying more of a premium than necessary.

Here's another option I found. It has the exact proportions you wanted but a couple things to note. First, it comes at a real premium because it is D and IF. The certificate is also 9 years old. I would probably want an updated certificate.

Thank you. I will take a look at it.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure why these didn't come out as a group & not just for D & E. I have a J & although I can see the tint, I love the size so I'm a bit biased. LOL I have a G & several H's that I find very white. I'd go big & get the 2ct G. LOL It will be over budget once you add in taxes though. But take a look at what they have cause you can always upgrade down the road if you want. ;)2 Looks like our border will remain closed for a bit longer or I'd say, if you can, drive over to the US to pick it up as opposed to international shipping.

D & E:

F:

G:

I still like the HPD D stone even if a VS-2. Both WF & HPD will not declare a stone eye clean if it's not. They are transparent. If you have binocular eyes, perhaps you might see an inclusion but overall, I would believe them if they said a stone was eye clean.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results