shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Selection Help Please and Thanks

inpgh

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
Like most other guys I have dragged my feet and now I need to make a move. I'm ready to pull the trigger, I just am looking for some feedback to make sure I'm not overspending or buying something regrettable. Total Budget is $15k. I need 2ct or more at least SI1 or better, I or better, Excellent cut or better.

I know there are certain diamonds when the experts look at them, tell you not to buy for one reason or another. I really don't want to buy a dud because I went online...

This is the diamond I've picked:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-7949186

These are the other options I found, do you see one of these as being far superior?

This is the band chosen: https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ite-pave-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-56270

Any help or tips on these specific diamonds or if there is something I am missing would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every stone you picked is showing leakage. Give me/us a second to look for a decent stone.

Whats your top budget?

Last edited:

inpgh

Rough_Rock
Every stone you picked is showing leakage. Give me/us a second to look for a decent stone.

Whats your top budget?

Wow, thanks. I never would have known that. I would like to keep the diamond under $14,500. I would like to keep the clarity in the SI or above so you don't see the flaws etc. GF has her heart set on 2.0ct or more. Thanks so much for your help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks. I never would have known that. I would like to keep the diamond under $14,500. I would like to keep the clarity in the SI or above so you don't see the flaws etc. GF has her heart set on 2.0ct or more. Thanks so much for your help.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything that looks all that great in the I/SI range under $15k at JA.

How good is your GFs eye site?

inpgh

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything that looks all that great in the I/SI range under $15k at JA.

How good is your GFs eye site?

She has 20/20 laser corrected vision, lol. Is this something that if I bump up the budget a little I will be able to get what I need? Do I need to ditch JA for bluenile or somewhere else? I really liked that JA is associated with Jared so she could take it to get resized locally etc for free. I don't think we should go a worse color than I. Any other suggestions?

KLE

Shiny_Rock
I'll chime in. If you EVER think you will upgrade her stone, think long and hard about going with JA. I just cancelled an upgrade because I know I want to upgrade again in the future, and I can't spend 2x the amount again. While I found a diamond I really liked, I didn't want to take such a loss in the future. So I returned it and I'm trading in (my smaller diamond) elsewhere and taking a smaller hit now, rather than later.

Also I don't think resizing services are available at Jared. The do the polish, cleaning, prong tightening, etc. but it doesn't say sizing can be done there.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are a little flexible on the budget then I would request the GIA report on this one so it can be ran through the HCA tool

I also like @tyty333 BN option

inpgh

Rough_Rock
If you are a little flexible on the budget then I would request the GIA report on this one so it can be ran through the HCA tool

I also like @tyty333 BN option

Thank you everyone for your help with this. I'd surely end up with a dud without you.

@KKJohnson this is the GIA report they send for 8336895 you linked above.
cert.jpeg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your help with this. I'd surely end up with a dud without you.

@KKJohnson this is the GIA report they send for 8336895 you linked above.
cert.jpeg

It scored a 2.1 on the HCA tool, we typically recommend anything over a 2 is a discard but with this being what we call a 60/60 stone I think it still looks good

@tyty333 BN one scored a 1.2 meaning the stats work and it will be a good performer, have you looked at the settings from BN-you can get a very similar one as what you have picked. Also with BN being cheaper its just an overall better contender

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've gotten great advice above. I would definitely NOT go with any of the stones you originally listed. But others here are doing a nice job of steering you in the right direction.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It scored a 2.1 on the HCA tool, we typically recommend anything over a 2 is a discard but with this being what we call a 60/60 stone I think it still looks good

@tyty333 BN one scored a 1.2 meaning the stats work and it will be a good performer, have you looked at the settings from BN-you can get a very similar one as what you have picked. Also with BN being cheaper its just an overall better contender

Ignore the 2.1 HCA score. This stone is good. Should not have severe leakage. Ask for the IS image. I also like the BN stone @tyty333 found.

You are some good options here.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See if you can get an aset or idealscope image on the JA stone. (sometimes they can get them...sometimes not)

Talk to BlueNile about how eye clean the one is that I linked.

I hate to tell anyone who is spending $15k+ on an engagement ring that their budget is a little tight for their specs.
($15k is a nice budget IMO)

Just seems like there is not much available in the 2 carat range right now. I even went up in $ and didnt find much.

Whiteflash has this stone. Its an Expert Selection. 1.9 carat. WF has a very nice trade up policy if she ever wants to
go up in color (or size).

Edit...I see @flyingpig commented while I was in the middle of my post.

Reactions: KLE

inpgh

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone so much for your help with these. I have asked for IS image on the JA 8336895 listed above. I feel like you all have saved me from buying some crap very expensive diamonds and I am truely grateful for that. I will pop back in when I have more information, thank you again so much!

inpgh

Rough_Rock
8336895.jpg

Here is the IS image for the 8336895 listed above. I don't know how to read these, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The IS image is good (as in passes).

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As expected, there is no leakage. Nice one

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice. Put it on hold if you’re seriously considering it.

inpgh

Rough_Rock
Well guys, I didn't put that diamond on hold fast enough and it's gone :O

I spent more time trying to understand light scope and how to read the diamonds before posting these. I think I used the HCA tool correctly, but I could be wrong. Can you take a look at these two and see what you think? Thank you in advance.

Diamond 1:

HCA: 1.3
cert.jpeg 8357958.jpg

Diamond 2:

HCA: .9
cert.jpeg
8112702.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the idealscopes look fine. I prefer the first stone. Not sure whats going on with the second stone at 12:00 and 1:00 with the end of the
arrows. Hopefully someone can tell us whether it is a photo setup issue or a diamond issue.

Have you put these stones on hold?

inpgh

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I did put them on hold. I also asked for Idealscope images on 3 others that seemed to look okay. I will post if they seem to be worth looking at.

inpgh

Rough_Rock

EAB

Rough_Rock
As someone who is trying to learn, could it be explained how you determine leakage from the diamonds listed in the original post? Is it something you can see from the pictures?
I am trying to understand how the diamonds first listed were immediately rejected by the experts here

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone who is trying to learn, could it be explained how you determine leakage from the diamonds listed in the original post? Is it something you can see from the pictures?
I am trying to understand how the diamonds first listed were immediately rejected by the experts here
Some of us can spot leakage. And tyty333 is very good at it, among the best, if not the best. The very first stone is the worst leakage.
Also, based on the appearance, they all have overly steep pavilion angles. It is just automatic rejection for many of us.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

Yeah, that blue Nile stone looks like a great option, actually. The strong blue fluorescence helps bring the price down while still being just over 2 carats and an I color. And a 1.2 HCA is exactly what you want as a sign to vet the stone up close and personal. I know that sometimes you can even get them to do an ideal scope image for ya at blue Nile(especially if you have someone like Todd Gray going to bat for you ). But that diamond would be an excellent candidate to have shipped to your home... and then you can use an ideal scope and asset scope yourself to make sure the diamond does not have any issues in terms of light performance. if you are based in the US Gary Holloway has a partner who sells Gary's patented hand-held ideal Scopes and asset scopes--- his name is David Atlas(those scopes are quite affordable, and it makes sense to fully vet the diamonds if you're going to spend that much money).

inpgh

Rough_Rock
So I'm back again, I have taken a lot more time to learn and understand the diamonds and think I found what I wanted all along and now have three stones to choose between. Which would you choose based on the diamonds themselves and which would you choose on the vendor to work with.

The first is from James Allen: The price is $14,900 idealscope on-page, cert listed below.
cert.jpeg

The second is from Whiteflash: Price is $14,924
Certs and idealscopes listed on page

The last is from whiteflash: Price is $15,075
Certs and idealscopes listed on page

Thanks for all of your help everyone!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash has a more flexible upgrade program. Pay $1 and your stone to upgrade. Their ACA stones are precision cut AGS 0 stones.

James Allen has a pay what you paid for the stone and your stone (double). Hard to do when you’re starting out near $15k (new stone must be more than $30k). Their true hearts are AGS 0. Not ALL AGS0 stones are necessarily “precision” cut but are still better than many GIA XXX.

inpgh

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash has a more flexible upgrade program. Pay $1 and your stone to upgrade. Their ACA stones are precision cut AGS 0 stones.

James Allen has a pay what you paid for the stone and your stone (double). Hard to do when you’re starting out near $15k (new stone must be more than $30k). Their true hearts are AGS 0. Not ALL AGS0 stones are necessarily “precision” cut but are still better than many GIA XXX.

Other than the HCA tool, is there a way to tell if the JA one is a precision cut?

@tyty333 What are your thoughts on these final two? Would you choose one over the other?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other than the HCA tool, is there a way to tell if the JA one is a precision cut?

@tyty333 What are your thoughts on these final two? Would you choose one over the other?

The HCA score is just a rejection tool (not a decision tool). The numbers and AGS cert suggest its a very nice stone. Advanced images would be better and would make me (personally) feel more comfortable. For me, if choosing between JA and WF, WF wins hands down every time due to better customer service, better upgrade policies, and more advanced images. Plus, all of their stones are in house (at least the premium select, expert selection and ACA ones).

inpgh

Rough_Rock
The HCA score is just a rejection tool (not a decision tool). The numbers and AGS cert suggest its a very nice stone. Advanced images would be better and would make me (personally) feel more comfortable. For me, if choosing between JA and WF, WF wins hands down every time due to better customer service, better upgrade policies, and more advanced images. Plus, all of their stones are in house (at least the premium select, expert selection and ACA ones).

Thanks so much for your feedback. I just don't know enough about diamonds to know if there is something I may be missing with the JA stone that I should be looking elsewhere. Is there something that you are thinking specifically that I would notice or be able to see whenever the ring arrives? I'm sure it will be nice, and I am probably overthinking it. I just don't want to have missed something important or an issue that could have been avoided. Thanks again.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, there's nothing wrong with the JA stone. Nothing at all. But if you can afford either one comfortably, WF will give you better service, likely a better setting, and you have the peace of mind with upgrades.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results