shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond search

ST

Rough_Rock
Ok so my girl friend does not want me to buy a ring online. She wants me to get it from this local jewelry store so I know what I am getting.

So while I am looking for the right diamond, let me ask if I am on the right path.

I am looking for a .75ct. or smaller if I have too. GIA is the type of stone I am working with. I would like something between D-I color, Fl-SI1 clarity, Ex-VG cut.

As far as girdle, depth, table, ect. goes, do I need to look for something around:
60-62% depth
54-57% table
34-35 crown
40.6-41 pavilion
thin-med girdle with it being polished or faceted

And when I look at the diamond through a ideal scope, I want to see less white, correct?

Is there anything else I am missing, or am I on the right track. Correct me if I am wrong please, as I know yall will.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A modern round? Use the HCA tool to help you weed: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca/

Don't worry too much about table & depth & trying to match lists of crowns and pavilions - the HCA will do that for you. Remember proportions "outside the box" can be lovely too so if you find one you like that doesn't fit the mold don't dismiss it out of hand..

ETA: IS charts here
ETA* just noticed you specify you want to buy locally

ST

Rough_Rock
Yes, round. So I shouldn't care too much about the depth, table, ect.?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you should care. BUT you can't pinpoint any one proportion or facet or dimension as the 'cause of excellent vs. less-excellent light return' - it's all in how everything works together, and there are no failsafe charts or lookup tables for that. The HCA is a good starting point - a blunt weeding tool that will help you hack through an inventory with fifty stones. But it won't help you select, only reject, so you need other tools - independent and professional opinions, scans, photos - for selection.

ST

Rough_Rock
wow, sounds like a lot. I want to get her a great looking diamond, but she is not picky, nor is she one that will want to sell/trade it for a bigger or better one later. So if she is low maintenance, should I stress myself in how perfect of a diamond I should get?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ST|1297728460|2851974 said:
wow, sounds like a lot. I want to get her a great looking diamond, but she is not picky, nor is she one that will want to sell/trade it for a bigger or better one later. So if she is low maintenance, should I stress myself in how perfect of a diamond I should get?

I don't think stress is the right word, but you definitely want to get her a well cut stone as it will sparkle more. Even if someone is low maintenance doesn't mean they want a diamond that doesn't sparkle!

ST

Rough_Rock
I am going to talk to the lady that is working with me in buying the ring. I am going to have her get me some more options within my price range that I can choose from. When I tell her some specs that I would like to see in some of the stones, what should be at the top of my list for her to find?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ST|1297734247|2852032 said:
I am going to talk to the lady that is working with me in buying the ring. I am going to have her get me some more options within my price range that I can choose from. When I tell her some specs that I would like to see in some of the stones, what should be at the top of my list for her to find?

Hi ST,

The basic numbers you posted above are a place to start but do be aware that they are a guideline only and that various other proportion configurations can still produce a beautiful diamond. I would search by asking your SA if she can show you some GIA Excellent cut grade or some AGS0 cut grade if she can get them. Also if you have a Jareds closeby, go and view their AGS0 Peerless range so you are familiar with how a well cut stone looks and behaves, Hearts on Fire brand would also work for this exercise if you have a dealer near you.

Once you have some stones to view that you might want to purchase, see which ones you like best, check them out away from the bright store lights if possible to get a realistic idea of how the diamond will look when worn. Also you can post all the proportions here to get opinions.

The rest comes down to budget and other requirements, you might find that once you view some diamonds that you don't need a D IF or VVS but perhaps F or G colour and VS clarity is perfectly adequate, or even I or J colour and SI clarity can be excellent choices if well cut and eyeclean.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions just let us know.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ST|1297734247|2852032 said:

Get her to find you AGS0s/1s, and GIA EXs if you want to be safe but get it done quickly and easily. Once she's found you three or four we can start narrowing it down to the best of the best.

ST

Rough_Rock
OK, so I went by another shop, who the owner is a long time family friend. He looked up a few diamonds for me and said if I want to check them out then he can get them in for me to look at.

He gave me 3
1. GIA # 1126737816 .70ct $2000

2. GIA # 2116614940 .71ct $1700

3. GIA # 1119334912 .70ct $2200

The one diamond from the other store that I already picked out is

GIA # 2106933253 .70ct $2100

I am going to call the lady and ask for a few more options.

Do any of these look like a good buy with what I have or should I tell them to find some new ones?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ST|1297807129|2852638 said:
OK, so I went by another shop, who the owner is a long time family friend. He looked up a few diamonds for me and said if I want to check them out then he can get them in for me to look at.

He gave me 3
1. GIA # 1126737816 .70ct $2000
:errrr:
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=1126737816&weight=0.70

2. GIA # 2116614940 .71ct $1700
:sick:
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=2116614940&weight=0.71

3. GIA # 1119334912 .70ct $2200
;(
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=1119334912&weight=0.70

The one diamond from the other store that I already picked out is

GIA # 2106933253 .70ct $2100
:(sad
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=2106933253&weight=0.70

I am going to call the lady and ask for a few more options.

Do any of these look like a good buy with what I have or should I tell them to find some new ones?

Yikes.
Use this tool to help you weed: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca/
Either both these jewellers don't know much about cut quality or appear not to have your best interests in mind.. spend some quality time with the tutorials under the "Knowledge" tab at the top of the page.

Edited to add links*Edited to fix links*

ST

Rough_Rock
:wacko: ;( :blackeye: :knockout: <----- How I feel about all this diamond shopping right now!

ST

Rough_Rock
Let me add that my budget is $4000 out the door give or take $200-300. Her setting and band is around $1000-1500

ST

Rough_Rock
So I called the lady I am working with from the first store and she is being difficult and not willing to give me anything over the phone. She wants it all to be in person. Thing is, is that I don't want to make another ride up there just to get a few numbers and then come back and crunch those numbers. Any advice?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spend an hour tonight playing with the HCA and different proportion combinations. Don't worry about over2 vs under2, just find some trends. Then when you go in-person look at GIA EXs and AGS0s and AGS1s. Write down the numbers, and see how they match the trends you found. Then - the most important step - look at your trends and see how they translate IRL, in the stones you're seeing, and figure out what you like to see and what you don't like to see, and what trends cause the preferred and disliked characteristics.
Leave your wallet at home if you think you might cave to sales pressure before you're absolutely comfortable with the purchase.

Looks like your dollars will go much further online, fwiw:
0.7 I SI1 $1800 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1345487.asp (request IS)
0.7 I SI1 H&A $2040 http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1351289.asp

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock

E B

Ideal_Rock
ST|1297726357|2851924 said:
Ok so my girl friend does not want me to buy a ring online. She wants me to get it from this local jewelry store so I know what I am getting.

Honestly, I'd take the time spent going back and forth, checking numbers and put it toward convincing your girlfriend that you'll be getting the same amount if not MORE information if you buy online from a reputable vendor. Maybe if you find something great, you can involve her. Show her the website, the photos, the ASET/IS.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8005/

ST

Rough_Rock
E B|1297819096|2852782 said:

Honestly, I'd take the time spent going back and forth, checking numbers and put it toward convincing your girlfriend that you'll be getting the same amount if not MORE information if you buy online from a reputable vendor. Maybe if you find something great, you can involve her. Show her the website, the photos, the ASET/IS.

Trust me, I've involved her enough when it comes to looking for something online. This is her neg. viewpoint when it comes to online...

Are we able to trust that we are getting what we thought we were getting?
What to do when it is time to re-size the ring, if need be?
If it needs to be repaired
When it needs polishing or cleaning
If a side stone falls out

The store we have went to all offer free lifetime guarantee's on all of this (as I am sure most of you would know this) but she doesn't want to have to mail her ring back to be fixed or cleaned and have to be without it for a few days nor does she want to have to pay a local dealer.

She is also reading this so be nice with your replies lol

ST

Rough_Rock

I like that rock by the way

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Trust me, I've involved her enough when it comes to looking for something online. This is her neg. viewpoint when it comes to online...

yes.

either send back or take to a local jeweler.

same as above.

definitely can take to a local jeweler for cleaning!

what type of setting are you looking at?

ST

Rough_Rock
She likes the solitaire settings and channel set.

ST

Rough_Rock
slg47|1297821478|2852814 said:

yes.

See baby, we can trust an online purchase lol

slg47

Ideal_Rock
solitaire-no side stones to worry about. good channel setting should be secure. you could always get the diamond online and the setting locally?

ETA I got my setting done online and my center stone was purchased locally. I was nervous about sending it but was confident from the reviews of the jeweler I read on PS and the images of their work I had seen. Ultimately I am very pleased that we got them to do the setting, as they were able to create what I wanted and also match the sidestones perfectly (for a better price, too!)

ST

Rough_Rock
slg47|1297821998|2852820 said:
solitaire-no side stones to worry about. good channel setting should be secure. you could always get the diamond online and the setting locally?

I have been thinking about that. How difficult would that be? Are local dealers willing to do that?

E B

Ideal_Rock
ST|1297821788|2852816 said:
She likes the solitaire settings and channel set.

Why not just get the solitaire (diamond + setting) online and the wedding band from the local jewelry store? The solitaire, if done right, shouldn't need much (if any) maintenance, and most reputable jewelry stores could polish or re-size it for a small fee (but since you all know her ring size, that shouldn't be a problem in the short term). As for cleaning, just get an ultrasonic machine and she can clean it at home! ;))

With a diamond wedding band, you can buy from the local jewelry store and have the protection, re-sizing, etc. needed for something that's a bit higher maintenance, you know?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
EB this is a great idea, also one of my favorite looks for a wedding set (solitaire + diamond band). also, you can take the ring to a local jeweler and most will clean for free.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
also, ST, even for things like resizing sometimes online is better. when we needed to get my ring resized, the local places were charging more (including shipping!) and were giving me longer estimated times. if you have a ring that fits her well, send it to the jeweler so they know what size to make it, since sizing can differ from jeweler/jeweler and also vary with band thickness/etc

ST

Rough_Rock
I like all of the advice. I guess I just have more to consider then I thought.

BigPhilly808

Rough_Rock
hey ST...i understand...it took me F-O-R-E-V-E-R to convince my fiancee that getting a ring online would be better for what SHE wanted...and what I could really afford! she had all of the same concerns as your gf...but like what was already mentioned all her concerns can be taken cared...and boy is she ever glad i convinced her that purchasing online would get HER a bigger bang for MY buck :lol:

i would just make sure the place you get it from has a great return policy in the off chance that you are just not happy with your choice!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ST|1297820823|2852798 said:

The store we have went to all offer free lifetime guarantee's on all of this (as I am sure most of you would know this) but she doesn't want to have to mail her ring back to be fixed or cleaned and have to be without it for a few days nor does she want to have to pay a local dealer.

She is also reading this so be nice with your replies lol

Make sure to get the exact terms and conditions in writing before you purchase. A few that come to mind first -
Is there a max number of times you can bring the ring in per year/month for cleaning, polishing, repair?
What exactly is covered under repair - normal wear and tear? The big indent from slamming the car door on it? Free prong checks, free prong retipping?
What is the max size/value of sidestones covered for replacement (I guarantee they're not going to be replacing 30pointers for free, for example).
Are monthly/bi-yearly appraisals or anything of that sort required to keep this policy active?
What will void the policy? Having another jeweller clean the ring? Polishing or replating, or sizing?
Is there a max cost this jeweller will incur, and after that you need to either cough up or void the warranty?
What, if any, are their policies in the case of mishaps whilst working on the ring?

It's important that you purchase from whatever vendor - through whatever medium - you feel most comfortable with. Just be sure that you're making an educated choice, whatever that choice is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results