shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond resources?

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I’m still looking for my dream diamond round solitaire earrings.
My eyes and heart want 1.2 in each ear because I’ve got large ears and ear lobes andI’m after the most light performance that I could get for the money.

Are there any other reputable, trustworthy resources that I should be considering? so far, I’ve narrowed it down to JannPaul, WhiteFlash, Good Old Gold and Brian Gavin although I think BG is priced the highest??

I’ve learned that I am color sensitive, which stinks...I’d love as bright and white as I can afford and I do prefer cleaner stones so I’m struggling on where to compromise. In a dream world, I’d have a set of VS1-VVS2 in G or F color, 1.2 solitaires in each ear.

WF, and Good Old Gold Sent me some specs on stones and whole one stone looked ok, the other either has an inclusion or was a bit off in color. Both sent a couple suggestions in the SI2-VS2 range and would run $8,500-$12k range

JannPaul has a matching (was cut together) set for $13,800 (a few thousand more than I want to spend plus I haven’t been able to figure what type of import / vat / taxes that would also apply??)
.90 each
6.19mm
VVS2
G
Were cut in March 2020 and cut as a set.
Is that as good as I could get for that kind of money? I really would prefer to stay in the $10k and under price.
Lastly, does anyone know how to determine what additional taxes / duty / fees that would apply if I’m in the US and they are in Singapore?? Thanks so much!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
If i may, I'd like to bring your attention to Distinctive Gems, in addition to Whiteflash and Brian Gavin. There is also crafted by infinity.

If you are after the most light performance and return, the cut is what you will not want to compromise on.

I am unfamiliar with Jann Paul.

Unfortunately, I am unversed in customs, duties and taxes

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
Thank you so very much! I’ll reach out to them as well and see what they have to offer.

Just throwing a suggestion out there to take a look at the Expert Selection (or maybe I’m thinking of Premium Select) by Whiteflash as well... I believe these are stones that just barely miss out on ACA classification (and often for things that won’t be noticeable especially in earrings) so they won’t command the ACA premium but are still beautifully cut, eligible for upgrade etc. You might be able to get the size you’re looking for that way!

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
Just throwing a suggestion out there to take a look at the Expert Selection (or maybe I’m thinking of Premium Select) by Whiteflash as well... I believe these are stones that just barely miss out on ACA classification (and often for things that won’t be noticeable especially in earrings) so they won’t command the ACA premium but are still beautifully cut, eligible for upgrade etc. You might be able to get the size you’re looking for that way!

Wonderful! Thank you!

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock

Another option I’m thinking is to go smaller and buy them from a place that has a no minimum lifetime upgrade program so that I could upgrade later if I felt the need to.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Gratitude24

if you would like the option to upgrade, your best best is with whiteflash or crafted by infinity. They have great upgrade policy.

Last edited:

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
@Gratitude24

if you would like to option to upgrade, your best best is with whiteflash or crafted by infinity. They have great upgrade policy.

Thank you! JannPaul and BG allow this as well. I wasn’t aware that CBI allowed this so thank you!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! JannPaul and BG allow this as well. I wasn’t aware that CBI allowed this so thank you!

i believe brian gavin has more conditions than whiteflash and cbi. I cannot comment on jann paul as i am unfamilair with them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also add Victor Canera to the list as he happens to carry a lot of .9 -1.2 size Super ideal cut stones. He also has lifetime trade up for his Canera lone hearts and arrows. I have seen a lot of Jann Paul videos and they clearly understand super ideal cuts stones but I would not bother with them now due to the fact they are in Singapore and customs and duties are such a pain and time consuming given you are in the U.S. if you were in Singapore seeing their stones would be a no brainer. I would for sure look at Whiteflash, CBI and Victor Canera. I for the most flexible upgrade policies. I wish I did many years ago.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The thing about earrings is that when you are wearing them, you can't continually examine and inspect them. Such diamonds are really for others to see and admire. The angle of incident light is 90 degrees different than for the main diamonds in rings. This changes the way they appear to the eyes of those who look at them when they are being worn. You can buy the size and weight you really want with a VS clarity and cut to the better range of GIA3X standards rather than AGS000 standards and get the larger visual effect with no appreciable compromise to what casual onlookers will see.

I know the group here tends to trust and appreciate the finest cuts and for the most common purpose, the engagement ring, it works best. For earrings, a tier down in cut and clarity may be yet another range of stones to examine before deciding what suits your budget and desires.

You must buy what you have confidence in. Some will say there is never room for compromise on cut or even clarity, but I think that earrings are a special situation and make choosing what's right into a broader set of choices than what one might put into a ring.

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock

Great info, thank you!

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
I would also add Victor Canera to the list as he happens to carry a lot of .9 -1.2 size Super ideal cut stones. He also has lifetime trade up for his Canera lone hearts and arrows. I have seen a lot of Jann Paul videos and they clearly understand super ideal cuts stones but I would not bother with them now due to the fact they are in Singapore and customs and duties are such a pain and time consuming given you are in the U.S. if you were in Singapore seeing their stones would be a no brainer. I would for sure look at Whiteflash, CBI and Victor Canera. I for the most flexible upgrade policies. I wish I did many years ago.

Thank you! I have never heard of him. Yes, honestly, the main reason why I haven't ordered yet from JannPaul is if I wanted to upgrade, it would take SO long. But from their videos, communication with them and options they've sent me, I have full confidence that I'd have amazing stones from them (not the cheapest but not the priciest either but I do trust that they'd lead me to the quality I'm hoping for.)
Another concern is we can't seen to find a consistent tax rate for importing the stones...I've seen anywhere from 10% to a whopping $9K and since it would be on us and not JannPaul to verify what we'd be stuck with, I haven't ordered from them yet.

Yes,I'm definitely only selecting retailers who offer a flexible upgrade policy for sure.

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
The thing about earrings is that when you are wearing them, you can't continually examine and inspect them. Such diamonds are really for others to see and admire. The angle of incident light is 90 degrees different than for the main diamonds in rings. This changes the way they appear to the eyes of those who look at them when they are being worn. You can buy the size and weight you really want with a VS clarity and cut to the better range of GIA3X standards rather than AGS000 standards and get the larger visual effect with no appreciable compromise to what casual onlookers will see.

I know the group here tends to trust and appreciate the finest cuts and for the most common purpose, the engagement ring, it works best. For earrings, a tier down in cut and clarity may be yet another range of stones to examine before deciding what suits your budget and desires.

You must buy what you have confidence in. Some will say there is never room for compromise on cut or even clarity, but I think that earrings are a special situation and make choosing what's right into a broader set of choices than what one might put into a ring.

I really appreciate your input here and although it completely makes sense, I've honestly never thought about this perspective! I have been told that, "no one is going to stick their nose in your ear to look at them so you can downgrade" but never from this standpoint.

I tend to go down rabbit holes and as I've learned more and more about diamonds, the price point kept increasing.

I will add too that although these are for me to enjoy wearing and that I'll wear them 90% of the time, I am half Asian and we are big into the quality of stones so that we can pass them down to our children and grand children. I have a really sweet Aunt who was SO incredibly disappointed that I didn't get a 3ct diamond engagement ring. We simply didn't have those kind of funds to accommodate a 3ct ring, nor do I think I'd ever want to wear one that big AND although I'm looking for larger earrings, I'm glad that I still have my much smaller original engagement and wedding rings. But my Mom and Aunt will insist on scrutinizing the stones and I dread being told that I could have done better when I have been waiting so long to get these and we've saved up for them. I know that should never be a factor but the last thing I want to hear after waiting so long and spending so much is that they aren't great stones from family.

Gratitude24

Rough_Rock
With this in mind, may I ask if you think that a VS2 clarity, G or H color and either an excellent or ideal cut be over the top in solitaire earrings? I've seen several SI stones in person and tried to compromise but it bothered me that the inclusions were more visible and I could spot many of them. Granted, the quality may not be what other retailers sell them because they were local stores or people who said they were diamond brokers...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results