shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond recutting-is it possible /affordable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I got so much helpful information to my last question ( about upgrading) and now I have a really "way out there" question. Is it possible to have a diamond,specifically an EC, upgraded in cut quality? My EC is lovely but I''d like it to have more steps in the cut. right now it''s a good cut. Can it be improved upon to become a VG cut? If that is possible, would it be affordable and who might do something like that? I realize that I would lose some size in the process but I''m wondering how much? I''ve been looking at all of the gorgeous EC and cushion cut diamonds set in halos and am absolutely blown away by how beautiful they are. That got me thinking about resetting my EC in a halo setting and that got me thinking about the possibility of upgrading the cut instead of the entire diamond.Am I way out there? If so, someone please bring me back to reality!
40.gif

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Try Brian Gavin at Brian Gavin Diamonds www.briangavindiamonds.com he has an excellent reputation and from his web site does recutting. There is an example of someone who had their round recut by him on pricescope, type in Brian Gavin in the searc engine or BGD and see what pops up

good luck
db

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
Hi db,

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for your reply! Originally, I wasn''t even going to post my question about recutting a diamond because I didn''t think it would be possible without sending it far,far,far away across an ocean somewhere. I am so excited to learn about Brian Gavin. I haven''t read all of the comments yet, but so many positive things that I did read have made me decide to call his customer service dept. and see if it might be possible to improve my EC diamond. I think that my fairy godmother might just be working overtime , since I only live about 2 1/2 hrs. away from Houston . It may take awhile to get it done, but I will post before and after pictures if I''m able to make this dream come true. Everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me- that is ,when y''all aren''t too busy admiring all of your own gorgeous rings!
21.gif

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Brian recut my lifeless 2.47ct RB into a gorgeous 2.10 sparkler
30.gif
30.gif
earlier this year and I couldn''t be happier!! My thread is here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If on the rare chance Brian isn''t able to help, try Bill Bray

www.brayscore.com

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

I e-mailed a copy of my GIA cert. for the EC diamond to Brian (via Leslie) last week. Although he is really busy, Leslie let me know that Brian did look at it and thinks that he can make it" look better". Is Brian sort of a "laid back" guy who doesn''t promise you the moon up front? I was kind of hoping that he''d say "Yes, absolutely!I can make it into a stunning diamond!".
9.gif

Because I live "down the road" a bit from Houston, I might make an appointment to take my diamond in and meet with Brian personally. I''m nervous
32.gif
about sending it FedEx. Anyway, I''m really excited about the possiblity of what Brain might be able to do with my diamond. Thank you, Shady71 ,Lorelei and all PS members who have given me your help and advice.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
By all means make an appointment with him and let him see the stone in person. Best of luck!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow exciting a possible EC re-cut... I don't I've seen one of those before. To answer your other question, yes, though I've never discussed a recut with Brian, in my dealings with him he is very careful not to over promise.

As for driving to them, that sounds like a great idea. Two things BGD isn't a store front so they see customers by prior appointment only I believe (you might want to check that, but I'm pretty sure), and Fridays after sundown and Saturdays aren't work days for them. Not sure about Sundays.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
If you decide to go this route, please post before and after pics. I''m sure I''m not the only one who would want to see this!!!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/11/2009 6:09:48 PM
Author: jeaniefish

Because I live ''down the road'' a bit from Houston, I might make an appointment to take my diamond in and meet with Brian personally.
Absolutely do this. You will have a rewarding, educational experience with Brian.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 6:09:48 PM
Author: jeaniefish
I e-mailed a copy of my GIA cert. for the EC diamond to Brian (via Leslie) last week. Although he is really busy, Leslie let me know that Brian did look at it and thinks that he can make it'' look better''. Is Brian sort of a ''laid back'' guy who doesn''t promise you the moon up front? I was kind of hoping that he''d say ''Yes, absolutely!I can make it into a stunning diamond!''.
9.gif

Think that is standard. No responsible cutter will say an absolute YES from just looking at a GIA report of the stone. They will need to run some test and take a look at it personally first.

Please get a before and after shot. Your stone seems to be the first EC recut on PS. :)

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
Brian just finished recutting my diamond. In order for him to make a full analysis he would need to see the diamond so I think a trip to see them personally would be awesome. These people were amazing to work with! I am blown away by the results. Brian explained to me that a recut is different than starting from raw material. You have to work with the existing grain of the diamond which is why he is being conservative. The man is brilliant and you will be in good hands with them. I plan on posting my recut experience soon in Show me the Ring. I received my diamond back last week but my son had the Swine Flu so I was not able to log on and do a write up. Good luck! You will be in great hands...

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
It looks like I will be going to Houston in about 2 weeks to meet with Brian. So far, all of my discussions have been via e-mail with Lesley and she has been very nice. I''m trying not to get my hopes up but I really can''t wait to talk to Brian and see what he says about my EC diamond. If all goes well,meaning that my stone can be improved, I will be sure to post before and after pictures. Thanks to everyone for relating your experiences, your advice and words of encouragement. I learn so much everytime I hang out here with y''all.
1.gif

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
I''m so excited for you-- you need to start on your before pics!
We need a photographic record of this magical transformation
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jeaniefish,

Your thread has been making me jumpy!

I went from thinking that I couldn''t wear a 2 carat diamond on my hand to thinking that I could wear a diamond as big as a 3 carat, but I cannot afford to buy a 3 carat stone unless I can sell some of my present diamonds, which would cause me to incur too great a loss. So my next thought was that maybe the stone that I once couldn''t wear on my hand (it felt too big) at around 2.20 carats (I think) might be cut to an ideal cut and still remain at 2 carats or more.

If not, it is not worth recutting the stone since I already wear a 1.67 carat ideal cut diamond solitaire. Unless I can have at least a 2.00 carat ideal cut stone it isn''t worth having a recut done on the larger stone (which I wear around my neck).

I am wondering if I should start a thread on my own question!

AGBF
34.gif

jeaniefish

Shiny_Rock
Hi AGBF,

I wish that I had your problem..... owning a diamond that has the potential to be a 2 ct. ideal after recutting! If this diamond is just languishing in your jewelry box, why not see what you can do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results