shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Prices to go UP??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/30/2007 6:54:13 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 10/30/2007 6:36:19 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
I have a secret.
I know why the price of +3ct is going up and everything else is stable or in non US$''s is falling.
DeBeers closed the mines that were producing a lot of the largest diamonds and the Canadian mines have fewer large rough than the mines they replaced.
You can correct me if I''m wrong but I also believe that the Aussie mine produces less large rough.
Strong demand in the middle east drives up prices on limited supply.
If you believe the industry that is LOL
????..., why would they?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 7:06:48 AM
Author: DiaGem

I have a secret.
I know why the price of +3ct is going up and everything else is stable or in non US$''s is falling.
DeBeers closed the mines that were producing a lot of the largest diamonds and the Canadian mines have fewer large rough than the mines they replaced.
You can correct me if I''m wrong but I also believe that the Aussie mine produces less large rough.
????..., why would they?
declining yields and expensive expansion.
It was likely cheaper to move the production to the Canadian mines and wait for higher prices before spending more in Africa.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/30/2007 7:23:32 AM

Date: 10/30/2007 7:06:48 AM

I have a secret.
????..., why would they?
declining yields and expensive expansion.
It was likely cheaper to move the production to the Canadian mines and wait for higher prices before spending more in Africa.
I have heard that owner''s of forgotten copper mines started mining again due to commodity price hikes...
I would imagine the same would go for Diamond mines (maybe even more worthwhile?)

Quash

Rough_Rock
Interesting thread and I have an interesting point of comparison. A month ago, when I was on the hunt for a diamond (I ended with with a round .97 AGS0 SI1 G from GOG), I was using the PS price lists and Bluenile price lists to get a gauge for prices in the market.

Bluenile actually allows you to create an RSS feed on the exact specs of the diamond you are looking for. So, I decided to track all Bluenile diamonds with the specs: round .97-1.09, SI1, G, Ideal and Super Ideal. I decided to keep the clarity and colour very narrow so I wasn''t overwhelmed with results.

I added the customized RSS feed to my Google Reader and started to watch as Bluenile brought in new diamonds in this range. Pretty quickly, I got a good sense of their pricing for diamonds in this range, which nearly always fell in the 5k range.

Until last week. Suddenly, new diamonds arriving in that range were in the 6k bracket. Probably a jump of about $500, actually, although it''s hard to nail that exact price increase down.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! This thread become more political than I was expecting! I guess its a hot topic for some.

Is any of this info going to effect your buying behavior (ie when you purchase0?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know you dont believe storm..., but some more reading material
1.gif

"...The report showed that growth will be most stimulated by wealthy consumers in fast growing economies, and that the Asia Pacific region, including China and India – but not Japan – will nearly triple in value by 2012 as newly wealthy consumers seek to underline their status with top end goods.
“The (AP) region will account for nearly a quarter of global spending at GBP 57 billion overtaking the Americas as the second largest market,” Report Buyer noted. Including Japan, it added, the region would have a 36.2 percent market share by 2012, just behind Europe’s 36.4 percent as “the most valuable market.”..."

Link: http://www.diamonds.net/News/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=19469

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 11:21:24 AM

1.gif

''...The report showed that growth will be most stimulated by wealthy consumers in fast growing economies, and that the Asia Pacific region, including China and India – but not Japan – will nearly triple in value by 2012 as newly wealthy consumers seek to underline their status with top end goods.

“The (AP) region will account for nearly a quarter of global spending at GBP 57 billion overtaking the Americas as the second largest market,” Report Buyer noted. Including Japan, it added, the region would have a 36.2 percent market share by 2012, just behind Europe’s 36.4 percent as “the most valuable market.”...''

The wealthy buying high end goods does not a diamond market make.
1: it wont scale
2: the low and middle range outvalue it by a huge amount.
3: again its a biased source

Im willing too bet that the melee market in the US is 100s of times larger if not thousands than the high end market total volume and total value!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
again - storm is in the right place.
Consider that the average value of mine run rough is typically in the $100 to $200 per carat range.
Yields are around 30-40%
so the average polished value is about $500 per carat plus cutting costs = $600pc.
Now this is average price.
Median could be quite different.
For every $10,000 diamond there are an awful lot of $100 stones.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2007 11:58:06 AM

1.gif

''...The report showed that growth will be most stimulated by wealthy consumers in fast growing economies, and that the Asia Pacific region, including China and India – but not Japan – will nearly triple in value by 2012 as newly wealthy consumers seek to underline their status with top end goods.

“The (AP) region will account for nearly a quarter of global spending at GBP 57 billion overtaking the Americas as the second largest market,” Report Buyer noted. Including Japan, it added, the region would have a 36.2 percent market share by 2012, just behind Europe’s 36.4 percent as “the most valuable market.”...''

The wealthy buying high end goods does not a diamond market make.
1: it wont scale
2: the low and middle range outvalue it by a huge amount.
3: again its a biased source

Im willing too bet that the melee market in the US is 100s of times larger if not thousands than the high end market total volume and total value!
I dont know if the numbers are exact..., but yes..., naturally the low-mid quality Diamonds is a much larger market-share than the high-end market...

But on the same thought..., we are witnessing the prices of high end Diamonds climbing on a pretty steady level.
Now..., I dont know if you will agree or not..., but I have been noticing lower quality Diamonds (again naturally) positioning themselves on a price level closer to the high-end prices (to fill the gap)..., for example..., prices of small melee (or even 1/5-1/2 carats) of lower quality (light browns/ pique etc., etc.... have gone up (some segments even doubled plus!!!)

Lower quality large Diamonds 4 carat+ in Browns- yellow''s (L-M-N.......X-Y) or white- Pique''s (SI''s to Imperfect) have shot up in prices!!!
I see Diamonds that were selling for a steady $3-4k per carat (from 3 carats to 20 carats) 5-20 years ago..., now sell for $4-5K per carat for the 3 carats to over 10K per carat for the 10 carat + sizes...., These things happen naturally if a 5 carat high-end Diamond which used to sell "for example" for a steady $80K total back 7-15 years ago..., today is selling for $180K..., and the options are all open!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 3:30:57 PM
I dont know if the numbers are exact..., but yes..., naturally the low-mid quality Diamonds is a much larger market-share than the high-end market...

But on the same thought..., we are witnessing the prices of high end Diamonds climbing on a pretty steady level.
Now..., I dont know if you will agree or not..., but I have been noticing lower quality Diamonds (again naturally) positioning themselves on a price level closer to the high-end prices (to fill the gap)..., for example..., prices of small melee (or even 1/5-1/2 carats) of lower quality (light browns/ pique etc., etc.... have gone up (some segments even doubled plus!!!)

Lower quality large Diamonds 4 carat+ in Browns- yellow's (L-M-N.......X-Y) or white- Pique's (SI's to Imperfect) have shot up in prices!!!
I see Diamonds that were selling for a steady $3-4k per carat (from 3 carats to 20 carats) 5-20 years ago..., now sell for $4-5K per carat for the 3 carats to over 10K per carat for the 10 carat + sizes...., These things happen naturally if a 5 carat high-end Diamond which used to sell 'for example' for a steady $80K total back 7-15 years ago..., today is selling for $180K..., and the options are all open!
Yes in the 4ct+ market the bowns and other less desirable colors are going to rise a bit with the better colors but not as much.
I don't question that supply is down and demand up on big rough. (some hording may be going on how ever)
The melee market is easy to explain,, price points..
Lets say a mass producer used to use kl/i1 for a $399 piece, the price of gold has gone up so they go to light browns on the diamonds too keep the price point.
This drives up demand for the light browns until/if production catches up creating spot shortages and higher prices.

edit: I have noticed this when I'm in the store glancing at the mass market jewelery there is no question that the color of the stones used has gone down.
There is also a lot more 10k gold than there used too be too.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2007 3:45:34 PM

Date: 10/31/2007 3:30:57 PM

Lower quality large Diamonds 4 carat+ in Browns- yellow''s (L-M-N.......X-Y) or white- Pique''s (SI''s to Imperfect) have shot up in prices!!!
I see Diamonds that were selling for a steady $3-4k per carat (from 3 carats to 20 carats) 5-20 years ago..., now sell for $4-5K per carat for the 3 carats to over 10K per carat for the 10 carat + sizes...., These things happen naturally if a 5 carat high-end Diamond which used to sell ''for example'' for a steady $80K total back 7-15 years ago..., today is selling for $180K..., and the options are all open!
Yes in the 4ct+ market the bowns and other less desirable colors are going to rise a bit with the better colors but not as much.

Storm..., you mean to say "rise a bit more"..., as prices in this segment are through the roof already!
2.gif

I don''t question that supply is down and demand up on big rough. (some hording may be going on how ever)
The melee market is easy to explain,, price points..
Lets say a mass producer used to use kl/i1 for a $399 piece, the price of gold has gone up so they go to light browns on the diamonds too keep the price point.
This drives up demand for the light browns until/if production catches up creating spot shortages and higher prices.

edit: I have noticed this when I''m in the store glancing at the mass market jewelery there is no question that the color of the stones used has gone down.
There is also a lot more 10k gold than there used too be too.
The funny part is... the mass market jewelers are paying more today for the darker Diamonds and 10K gold than they used to pay for the white Diamonds and 14K gold
32.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I know a lot of people across the industry, including a guy who has worked in diamond exploration for 50+ years, and I don''t know of anyone who thinks the supply-demand gap is all hype. On the contrary, it''s a reality that''s sent junior mining companies around the globe in search of new sources because the future price of rough is so attractive. Etruscan is just one of many--there are more small operations running around poking holes in the ground in search of diamonds than ever before.

The money to be made nowadays is in mining, not manufacturing. As in the article John posted, exploration expenditures are at an all-time high. Developing a major diamond mine costs in the neighborhood of $1 billion these days, but you don''t see that stopping anyone.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/2/2007 2:36:09 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
I know a lot of people across the industry, including a guy who has worked in diamond exploration for 50+ years, and I don''t know of anyone who thinks the supply-demand gap is all hype. On the contrary, it''s a reality that''s sent junior mining companies around the globe in search of new sources because the future price of rough is so attractive. Etruscan is just one of many--there are more small operations running around poking holes in the ground in search of diamonds than ever before.

The money to be made nowadays is in mining, not manufacturing. As in the article John posted, exploration expenditures are at an all-time high. Developing a major diamond mine costs in the neighborhood of $1 billion these days, but you don''t see that stopping anyone.
Thats the difference between people who are closer to the Rough Diamond Sector vs. Polished Sector...

There are still plenty of "polished" Diamonds stocks in the jewelry pipeline (although its slimming down)..., so basically the polished Sector has really no idea what is really going on in the rough/mining sector. Polished sector is resisting higher prices and so far resistance is partly doing the job..., but only partly!!!

We are witnessing the jump in prices..., but in the larger polished sizes (even in the mid-quality range) prices are shooting up, actually the large size high quality polished is becoming an out of reach item!!! Thats where the mid-quality range is filling the gap..., but now we are witnessing a jump in this segment too.

In reality..., for people involved in the rough Diamond sector the reality is different. Prices are going up steadily in all segments..., large and small..., but the high quality rough is going wild..., there is simply not enough..., and if you find it..., it comes with the lower quality mixed in the parcels!
IF..., if you do find a parcel of high quality ONLY rough..., the price becomes ridiculus. (period)

Rough diamond prices are basically non-negotiable..., and 95% of deals close on a cash based term (no terms in the rough dealings vs. the long terms in polished dealings!!!)

Now the fact that the Dollar is weakening (on a regular basis) does not help the situation plus the fact that comodities are (once again) becoming a safe haven..., is a perfect formula for the future of Diamond prices to shoot up even more!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Argyle are spending a lot to go underground.

Still no one has worked out the underlying reason why large stones are rising faster.
I am not sure what to do with this (secret) information.

I might set up a financial adviser business.

Anyone prepeared to sign an NDA and pay me $100,000
10.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 5:44:00 PM

Too much, the last I heard. Rumors are flying that RT wants out.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Still no one has worked out the underlying reason why large stones are rising faster.

10.gif
With such a (secret)..., you wouldnt our finance..., now would you?
41.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

10.gif
Consumer backlash will eat the gains eventually.
The polished sellers would love to raise prices and make more profit.
Why aren''t they? Because they know it will kill sales.
Today''s consumer markets are fickle and could move on too something else.
hmmm how about a ring that when you push a button it whispers sweet nothings her DH recorded while at the same time flashes and shines like diamond marketed by apple.
For the ipod generation it could be a very very disruptive technology.
Some people see the diamond market as being a fairly stable market because tech does not change much there hasn''t been a large scale disruptive technology yet.
There will be.
Like the market getting hit 20-50 years later than the rest of the word with cartels being broken up it will get hit by technology eventually.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/2/2007 7:07:53 PM

10.gif
Consumer backlash will eat the gains eventually.
The polished sellers would love to raise prices and make more profit.

Correction..., "fact"-- The polished sellers did and are raising the prices but making less profit!
8.gif

Read CaptAubrey''s post..."The money to be made nowadays is in mining, not manufacturing..." He is 100% on it!

Why aren''t they? Because they know it will kill sales.

Throughout the majority of Diamond history..., Diamond sales were up! And I will bet it will continue.

Today''s consumer markets are fickle and could move on too something else.

It didnt happen during the past thousands of years..., it could perhaps happen...
10.gif
, but I seriously doubt it!
31.gif

hmmm how about a ring that when you push a button it whispers sweet nothings her DH recorded while at the same time flashes and shines like diamond marketed by apple.

I would love to see a future bride''s face when she gets proposed with an I-Ring instead of an E-Ring
14.gif
9.gif

For the ipod generation it could be a very very disruptive technology.
Some people see the diamond market as being a fairly stable market because tech does not change much there hasn''t been a large scale disruptive technology yet.
There will be.
Like the market getting hit 20-50 years later than the rest of the word with cartels being broken up it will get hit by technology eventually.
Still fighting it...
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 7:36:15 PM
Still fighting it...
2.gif
Hey someone has too stand up and say hey consumers higher prices don''t have too happen you can make a difference!
Power to the people!!!!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/2/2007 8:08:45 PM

Still fighting it...
2.gif
Hey someone has too stand up and say hey consumers higher prices don''t have too happen you can make a difference!
Power to the people!!!!!
Hey..., I wish I could shift to your side and make that difference..., you really think we (industry members) are all happy with this "new" reality???

But in my experience in life..., I learned you cant fight "nature"...
2.gif

Thats where I foresee "Lab. grown Diamonds" come in and make the difference..., Not the resistance of the people..., but then we meet the resistance of the industry members
31.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

'...The report showed that growth will be most stimulated by wealthy consumers in fast growing economies, and that the Asia Pacific region, including China and India – but not Japan – will nearly triple in value by 2012 as newly wealthy consumers seek to underline their status with top end goods.

“The (AP) region will account for nearly a quarter of global spending at GBP 57 billion overtaking the Americas as the second largest market,” Report Buyer noted. Including Japan, it added, the region would have a 36.2 percent market share by 2012, just behind Europe’s 36.4 percent as “the most valuable market.”...'

More: http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=19538

"The China Gold Association's deputy Hou Huimin told Bloomberg news that China expects to produce 260 metric tons in 2007, whereas the United States anticipates 250 tons... ...Hou predicted too that consumer demand for gold in China will likely push gold past $850 per ounce in early 2008 -- the figure largely seen as the all time record price (adjusted for inflation) hit in 1980."

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 4:39:42 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

''The China Gold Association''s deputy Hou Huimin told Bloomberg news that China expects to produce 260 metric tons in 2007, whereas the United States anticipates 250 tons... ...Hou predicted too that consumer demand for gold in China will likely push gold past $850 per ounce in early 2008 -- the figure largely seen as the all time record price (adjusted for inflation) hit in 1980.''
Another stroke the folks article that isn''t available to consumers.
Is he really going too say anything else??!??
That''s like asking Microsoft for a report on what the best operating system is.
These articles are really cracking me up I see the same drivel in the computer industry over the last 10 years and they are rarely if ever right.
They totally missed the digital camera and ipod explosion and even said they wont catch on.
Another example is the dslr they said they would never reach mass market status yet they are the fastest growing segment with the p&s market stagmented with 50 billion models confusing the market place.
The dslr explosion is killing the wedding photography old boys network however and replacing it with the part time moms network. Guess what the industry hacks totally missed that one too! :}

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2007 8:08:45 PM

Still fighting it...
2.gif
Power to the people!!!!!
Hahaha, you are my new hero!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 5:44:38 PM

That''s like asking Microsoft for a report on what the best operating system is.
These articles are really cracking me up I see the same drivel in the computer industry over the last 10 years and they are rarely if ever right.
They totally missed the digital camera and ipod explosion and even said they wont catch on.
Another example is the dslr they said they would never reach mass market status yet they are the fastest growing segment with the p&s market stagmented with 50 billion models confusing the market place.
The dslr explosion is killing the wedding photography old boys network however and replacing it with the part time moms network. Guess what the industry hacks totally missed that one too! :}
It''s available, but you can''t click the link if you''re holding your hands over your ears.
3.gif
2.gif

(try diamonds.net - it should be accessible to you)

Also available outside the old boys network here: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=akdWRcOHNv0o&refer=news

Granted, Al Gore hasn''t made a movie about it yet, but these projections are not limited to our industry. Maybe it''s just me but inventing Chinese consumer growth would take a pretty big conspiracy. If so it''s got our peers & partners in Antwerp, SA and Oz sucked in too.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/6/2007 5:44:38 PM

Date: 11/6/2007 4:39:42 PM

''The China Gold Association''s deputy Hou Huimin told Bloomberg news that China expects to produce 260 metric tons in 2007, whereas the United States anticipates 250 tons... ...Hou predicted too that consumer demand for gold in China will likely push gold past $850 per ounce in early 2008 -- the figure largely seen as the all time record price (adjusted for inflation) hit in 1980.''
Storm..., you comparing apples and oranges.

Gold/jewelry/Diamonds------------------------------------------- 100''s (if not 1000''s) of years of recorded history.
1.gif

Computers/"Microsoft"/ D-Cameras or D-slr''s------------- 10''s (maybe 30???) years of recorded (no) history.
8.gif

But again..., Storm = Jewelry industry opposition
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 6:30:51 PM

It''s available, but you can''t click the link if you''re holding your hands over your ears.
3.gif
2.gif

(try diamonds.net - it should be accessible to you)

Also available outside the old boys network here: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=akdWRcOHNv0o&refer=news

Granted, Al Gore hasn''t made a movie about it yet, but these projections are not limited to our industry. Maybe it''s just me but inventing Chinese consumer growth would take a pretty big conspiracy. If so it''s got our peers & partners in Antwerp, SA and Oz sucked in too.
ahem:
The news story you selected is available to RapNet/INDEX members and news subscribers. To become a news subscriber click "Join" and fill out the form. There is no charge to join our Rapaport news service.
Please login or join to continue.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 6:55:25 PM

Gold/jewelry/Diamonds------------------------------------------- 100''s (if not 1000''s) of years of recorded history.
1.gif

Computers/''Microsoft''/ D-Cameras or D-slr''s------------- 10''s (maybe 30???) years of recorded (no) history.
8.gif

36.gif
It is very easy to compare the press releases by the hacks.
It is funny how they are becoming more like each other.
Whats different is that in the electronics industry they have been around long enough they get ignored.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
31.gif

Date: 11/6/2007 7:08:56 PM

Date: 11/6/2007 6:55:25 PM

1.gif

Computers/''Microsoft''/ D-Cameras or D-slr''s------------- 10''s (maybe 30???) years of recorded (no) history.
8.gif

36.gif
It is very easy to compare the press releases by the hacks.
It is funny how they are becoming more like each other.
Whats different is that in the electronics industry they have been around long enough they get ignored.
Perhaps..., but now you added the electronics industry into the mix..., ok
2.gif

The reality is: Gold/Plat/silver/Diamonds/colored gems prices have been moving up "steadily"!!!
Could be a conspiracy between the "hacks" and the media who produce the press releases
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results