shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Pendant Help

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Youre not doing great on the price on this one if you don't want the setting. But worth looking around maybe.

I'm not in love with this setting. It's beautiful but none of the prongs look even and are very worn. If I were to pick up a piece like this I would do a different setting.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is my original .75 engagement stone. I only add it since this is the size range you are looking in. Ilya made the setting and he is at Ivy and Rose.
IMG_2007.JPG

Thank you so much for sharing White Wave, I love the way this looks!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I've been out with bronchitis for the last week and have not really had a chance to come on here to update anything.

But I did call IDJ today and made an appointment for lunchtime on Monday to meet with Yekutiel, I am so excited. I have been looking around for some settings, I haven't really found one that I am crazy in love with, but I hope that once I see the diamond I can envision the pendant around it. Who knows I might end up with a non-round diamond so it's sort of silly to put the horse before the cart.

Just thought I would update everyone and to send a thank to everyone whose given input on my search thus far.

Heidi2101

Rough_Rock
Premium
Keep us posted. I'm looking to do a similar pendant and happen to be travelling to NY the week after next. Curious how your visit goes.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

So sorry for the late response. But I did make my appointment yesterday with Yekutiel at ID Jewelry yesterday and I wanted to give a bit of an update. Yekutiel was super helpful, very knowledgeable and patient with me. He showed me two different diamonds that fall within my price point. I will post specifications later tonight as I don't have them on me.

Going in I really had no expectations, and only the knowledge that I have from PS. Pre PS I'm sure I would have just walked in and picked up something from Zales, but post-PS I felt a bit more knowledgeable and have become picky :wall:.

My one requirement going into this process has always been a bright, higher colored stone (e-f)as I am very color sensitive. I was not as worried about size, as this is my first gift to my mom of what I hope to be many many many more (though I did hope to be able to afford at least .5ct).

Overall, the appointment lasted about an hour, but I think Yekutiel is swaying me towards a lower color stone, but higher carat and a larger spread. The only thing that I am a bit hesitant with right now is the setting. Yekutiel is pretty excited about a Stuller setting (item # 86600), but my younger brother (who is "helping" with the costs) hates it.

So my next step after going home was to go through Stuller's website. I have now gone through all settings on Stuller's website and have not found anything that immediately catches my eye. Would anyone be able to help with this? Are there other setting "makers" I could look into? All help appreciated!

Thank you.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok...so here are the specs for the two diamonds I was looking at yesterday 20171003_224359.jpg 20171002_142826.jpg

Personally I am leaning toward the i stone since it is a lot cleaner under the loupe....though rockysalamander showed me another e stone which I now want to see in person (https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...e-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3491398)

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do?

Also still looking for a setting! Yikes...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see anything compelling about the I color stone. The crown angle is too high and it could have leakage. I'd either stick with the F or go to the E VS1. I'd certainly choose the E VS1 over a F SI1, though.

As far as settings go, a halo will make the diamond look larger:
https://www.jamesallen.com/fine-jew...ld-pave-set-frame-pendant-mounting-item-17021

A bezel setting is nice:
https://www.jamesallen.com/fine-jew...old-bezel-diamond-pendant-mounting-item-55845

A very important factor with a pendant is that it has a flat back to sit right. I'd avoid all with rounded backs or a tiny base on the back.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like whitewave's setting, but if you went with that, I'd have Yekutiel at IDJ source the diamond, too.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't see anything compelling about the I color stone. The crown angle is too high and it could have leakage. I'd either stick with the F or go to the E VS1. I'd certainly choose the E VS1 over a F SI1, though.

As far as settings go, a halo will make the diamond look larger:
https://www.jamesallen.com/fine-jew...ld-pave-set-frame-pendant-mounting-item-17021

A bezel setting is nice:
https://www.jamesallen.com/fine-jew...old-bezel-diamond-pendant-mounting-item-55845

A very important factor with a pendant is that it has a flat back to sit right. I'd avoid all with rounded backs or a tiny base on the back.

I think that for me in store I was leaning towards the i because it was more clean and F had some dark "streaks" in the pavilion that I thought looked odd more than the high crown angle on the i. it could be because I was only comparing two different diamonds instead of a few different options.

I agree that the JA e is looking good, however, it is completely outside my budget. I am trying to stay around 1700 for the whole thing. For the I/F - with the stuller setting - Yekutiel was able to do 1700.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, I see. I would surely think Yekutiel could come up with more G-H-I stones with great cut so you don't have to choose between an I that has a crown angle too high and an F with visible inclusions.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My visit was a bit disjointed. Yekutiel had one diamond he wanted me to look at...the i which I had reservations about the in terms of color very early on. The f had to be called in from his vault. The meeting went a little long because I was waiting for the f for so long. Maybe he didn't have access to more stones at the time? I'm not sure...I may give him a call back to find out if he has other options.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel a bit awkward posting this here as I'm sure someone would be able to find the listing. I was poking around loupe troop and some other pre-loved sites and I am thinking of buying a diamond listed. Then with the remaining money find a really nice setting for the diamond with a local jeweler. My concern is when I put the stats into HCA the tool tells me that the girdle is dangerously thin. What are the implications of a girdle that is too thin? Will it make the diamond more susceptible to cracking?

The stats are below:
Depth
60.7 %
Table
56 %
Crown Angle
34.5°
Crown Height
15.0%
Pavilion Angle
41.0°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%
Star Length
50%
Lower Half
80%
Girdle
Thin to Medium, 2.5%
Culet
None
Measurements
6.12 - 6.17 x 3.73 mm
Polish
Very Good
Symmetry
Very Good
Fluorescence
None
Clarity Characteristics
Crystal

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
@metall I wrote and almost exact post years ago when I also had a custom made pendant done for my mom's birthday.

I chose to go with a half carat high color (F) and decent clarity (VS1) pear first. Then had WF make it into a dbty
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pear-pendant-for-my-mom.129594/

My mom values color, otherwise I would have gone with bigger stone, but lower color. Do you have any idea on the shape she prefers, or the kind of pendants she likes?

I'm very simple and like martini set pendants (like my avatar), or dbty types of necklaces so I'd have a problem wearing anything fancier. Be sure you know what she likes.

I bought my Pear from James Allen, and had WF set it into their DBTY. Shapes like pears give more bang for the buck.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@metall I wrote and almost exact post years ago when I also had a custom made pendant done for my mom's birthday.

I chose to go with a half carat high color (F) and decent clarity (VS1) pear first. Then had WF make it into a dbty
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pear-pendant-for-my-mom.129594/

My mom values color, otherwise I would have gone with bigger stone, but lower color. Do you have any idea on the shape she prefers, or the kind of pendants she likes?

I'm very simple and like martini set pendants (like my avatar), or dbty types of necklaces so I'd have a problem wearing anything fancier. Be sure you know what she likes.

I bought my Pear from James Allen, and had WF set it into their DBTY. Shapes like pears give more bang for the buck.

Hi Ellen,

That necklace for your mom is gorgeous! I love the look of it.

I think that for my mom I imagine it would look better with a little more size. I don't think she's as petite as your mom is. My mom wears a 18 necklace as her shorter setting for above the collarbone...20 if she wanted to have it hit a little down past collarbone

I went with round since it's reminiscent of a silver coin pendant she has. But as she is very plain and had never worn jewelry that I know of outside the silver coin pendant and a jade piece from my grandfather. In a sense I'm winging it, but we have similar-ish enough tastes and I know her style well enough that I think that it's one of those...when I see it I will know.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another place to look at settings and findings is Unique settings of NY

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another place to look at settings and findings is Unique settings of NY

Will definitely give this a look. I've been trying to finalize the pendant before I get to the stressful diamond shopping part.

I don't think I've spent this much time hemming and hawwing about a purchase in my life. :confused2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results