shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond needed ~$5k this week -- Prize for the winner

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

malted

Rough_Rock
I''ve been watching this forum for a while and I''m continually impressed with the support people are giving to prospective purchasers. With this in mind I''ve come to the following conclusions:

-there''s enough on the market for me to make a decision quickly -- this week!
-since I''m from SK in Canada I''m going to make an e-purchase and pick it up in the States (WA)
-the person who can find a nice diamond for me that I pick deserves a prize -- to be determined

So, here''s what I''m looking for

Carat: >1 -- she''s a simple girl but she does have to compete with the girls in the office. Everyone has a carat these days so I"m sure she''d like something a bit bigger. Size is king here. Maybe 1.25ish?

Clarity: Since size matters I would like an eyeclean SI1-SI2

Color: I''m open to suggestions here. Again size is important but it looks like most people don''t move from G-H Is I too far?

Cut: I''m open to suggestions again but it doesn''t look like many people stray from ideal.

Price: I wanted to stay under 5k US for the diamond but I could be convinced to go upwards.

I pity tha foo who can''t find me a diamond!

Thanks in advance,
malted
wink2.gif

EZ-Monet

Rough_Rock
Suggestion number one...
NEVER again refer to your love as a "simple" girl.
Trust me, you will get hurt real bad if you do!

malted

Rough_Rock
LittleSis: Yes sorry -- round.
EZ-Monet: Good advice -- although I don't think she'd mind.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I love a challenge!
1.12 J SI1 with medium blue fluor to make it look whiter! $4675

1.17 D I1 for $4675

1.27 I SI1 - this one is over your budget, but beautiful $6938

1.14 G SI2 This one is gorgeous, and only slightly over budget at $5691

And finally... 1.27 J SI1

I've seen beautiful I and J color diamonds on this forum -when the cut is tops, they really face up very white. If you plan to set it in yellow gold, I'd have no qualms about going with those colors. In white gold or platinum, it depends. You might be able to see a hint of tint from the side, so if you have a setting with either more prongs (like six instead of four) or one that's more ornate, I'd say the lower color would be a great way to go
1.gif

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
Yikes... beaten to it.
8.gif

climber

Rough_Rock
Should not be to hard to find.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
What about a mounting????
naughty.gif

malted

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/4/2004 1:19:46 PM Diamondsbybree wrote:

What about a mounting????
naughty.gif
----------------

I'll probably go with a simple setting. Maybe a 4 or 6 prong (as quaeritur suggests) Tiffany-style white-gold or platinum setting.

EZ-Monet

Rough_Rock
Here's one that rates consideration on the basis of quality.
You'll have to wade through all the local ebay/EGL bias of course (much of it justified,) but at least the vendor is top-notch.
If I win, give the prize to someone more deserving.

1.09 G VS1 Ideal: HCA 0.8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10216&item=4929576169

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
If you are considering the EGL stones on Ebay, find out if it is EGL USA or EGL Israel. I don't know how to distinguish them by looking at the cert. If you do a search on EGL USA and EGL Israel, you will see what I am talking about. EGL Israel is not as reliable or accurate.
1.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I'm just surprised that ALL of the girls at the office are wearing a carat! That doesn't sound like the majority of the Canadians I know. Where does your girl work?

EZ-Monet

Rough_Rock
You may already know this, but...

EGL USA reports can be identified from EGL reports by a clearly displayed 'USA' on the banner at the top. EGL reports from the other ten national franchises do not usually identify where the grading was performed.

However, EGL-Israel (at least) certificate numbers begin with a two digit year code.
24xxx... = 2004

Issues of certificate accuracy can be resolved by having the stone independantly appraised.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Great info EZ. Thanks for clearing that up for me
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS malted! You didnt by any chance see the TV Funhouse SNL skit w Mr T?? I LUV that cartoon!!
9.gif
Anway, I wanted to suggest a few stones from ERD...

1.38 J SI1 $5091

1.22 J SI1 $4731

Mark would run sarins on the above if you were interested
1.gif

climber

Rough_Rock
Well it looks like we are back to the Pricescope Lab survey report again.

You will find that the pricescope lab survery was done combinning stones from EGL Israel and EGL USA. The results of the survey did not seem to me to have EGL any more off on grading than any other labs. So I am as equally satisfied and dissatisfied with the grading from all the labs.

I have a hilarious "K" color story from a 3ct submitted to the GIA that at sometime I will share with the forum.

At the bottom of lab report survery front page

"EGL and EGL USA listings are included together"

I have had stones from just about every lab including GIA, AGS, EGL USA and EGL Israel resubmitted for I did not agree with the grade.

The latest lab report survey just solidifies my theory. Subjectivity in science and opinion within the human race will always exist.

My advice to Malted is to:

1. Look at the Pricescope lab report survey so you may form your own opinion.

2. Find the right combination of grades that suit you at the price you want and go for it.

More often than not the diamond cutters usually price diamonds right on the money reguardless of what the cert. source is. Some good resellers as you may encounter will just add a samll percentage (3-5%) to that price and resell it to you. Other resellers will attemp to use perceived value to their avantage and add on a larger percentage. Your job now is to find out who is adding on more subjective value to the stone and who is not.

I know it's hard but try to buy from the few true boy or girl scouts that are left in the industry that will still help that little old lady accross the street no matter if they will greatly benifit from the gesture or not. You know the ones that feel that we are all in this life together. They truly are the hero's of the diamond reseller industry for they preserve the confidence the consumer has in the diamond industry.

Your in the right place, keep working it! "chance favors the prepared mind".

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I personally love this stone....it's SI2, but the plot looks INCREDIBLY clean:

1.19, G, SI2 for $5326

The idealscope image on this stone is simply gorgeous!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Malted,

Since you will want a well cut stone, you have 5 or more choices easily found here...more than 5 if you'll pop for over 5K. Just use the search by cut quality option here, and find the 5 options there, one of which is from GOG, and should get a good look, and the other 4 of which are from White Flash, one of which is this one for $4987 for Pricescope viewers.

Be conservative, get what you want! Of course, you can get bigger by lowering you constraints on color, etc. Otherwise, I'd say get what you want, and use this simple tool.

Best of wishes,

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Hi climber,
thanks for re-posting the survey. Maybe I misunderstood. I didn't think that EGL Israel was included in the survey after looking at charts such as the one posted here:
http://grading.pricescope.com/price-differences.aspx

and I read this on the front page
"The prices of a significant quantity of diamonds, more than 50,000, are publicly listed on-line and GIA, EGL USA[6], and AGS graded diamonds were represented in large enough quantities to be included in this study."

I didn't mean to misrepresent EGL Israel if I misread the survey.

I thought that the quote below meant that they were listed together on the internet, but not necessarily in the survey.

"Originally EGL had several franchised labs in different countries (Belgium, Israel and USA). Today EGL-USA is privately owned and operates four labs in USA and Canada. About 23% of all diamonds listed in the Internet are graded by European Gemological Laboratories (EGL); EGL and EGL USA listings are included together."

I'll go back and read some more.
1.gif

malted

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/4/2004 5:21:49 PM aljdewey wrote:

1.19, G, SI2 for $5326

The idealscope image on this stone is simply gorgeous!----------------

I think aljdewey is in the lead. Because my setting will not be gold I think I'll try and stick to a G-H color. At 1.19 I can call this a carat and a quarter to please my girlfriend as well. Any comments?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/4/2004 6:02:27 PM malted wrote:

----------------

1.19, G, SI2 for $5326

Any comments?----------------

Yeah. The cert is not a clear photo, so I can't see much of anything on it but some dots under two crown facets. Since this is SI2, there should be "something". Get it and take a look. Besides, WF should have a better way to show the inclusions plot
1.gif

Sine I'm writing, here are two bargains more.

One 1.4 cts G-I1. Just trying to imagine a prong on top of those needles here!

And one 1.24 E-Si2. The picture looks awful: there is a big carbon spot showing right on top, but that inclusion is nowhere on the plot. The main characteristics showing on the plot are on the girdle. This is not Harts and Arrows, but the HCA score comes 1.9 (Vg-Ex-Ex-Ex). I would at leats ask about the difference between photo and plot.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the E-Si2 puzzle. I can definitely find the extras on the girdle (#1 and #2) but #3 is not on the plot
rolleyes.gif

ESI2puzzle.JPG

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Check out GOG (www.GOG.com). They have a very good assortment in their Rounds link on the web-site. I wish I had time to figure out how to do the links. Jonathan is great to work with.

Suz

sparker

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I made a mistake. The web site is actually www.goodoldgold.com

Sorry,

Suz

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
There's this 1.19 G SI2 for $5680.

But I think aldj's got the better stone.
2.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Malted,

Just so you know, both aljdewey's listing from White Flash, and Golden Girl's from DCD are there, too on the search by cut tool, just a little farther down. Given your flexibility, those two choices are both attractive, certainly. I'd be interested personally if the comments on the girdle for the WF option should be of any concern (thn-sly thk-f); the dirt cheap could be a second alternative; Jim doesn't offer IdealScope images, however.

Looks like you're getting there. Best of wishes.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/4/2004 6:02:27 PM malted wrote:

----------------

1.19, G, SI2 for $5326

The idealscope image on this stone is simply gorgeous!----------------

I think aljdewey is in the lead. Because my setting will not be gold I think I'll try and stick to a G-H color. At 1.19 I can call this a carat and a quarter to please my girlfriend as well. Any comments?
----------------

Yes. Mara bought one of the Expert Selection stones from Whiteflash, so I know first hand they are usually winners.

Also, regarding Valeria's comment "Since this is SI2, there should be 'something'.".....I'd take that with a grain of salt. Yes, there is "something"....just as there is "something" in a VS stone . It doesn't matter if there's "something"....it matters whether or not you can readily *see* the "something".

I'm miffed because I've spent 25 minutes now searching this site looking for a comment Richard Sherwood (an extremely well-regarded appraiser here on PS)made, and I cannot get it from this search engine for the life of me. However, his general comment ran along the lines of "most SI-2 stones should be eye-clean."

I've watched for months now as everyone beats the "WARNING WARNING" drum on SI2 stones. I own an SI2 stone from Whiteflash, and I can tell you that I cannot see ANYTHING without a loupe....and I've stared at my diamond for hours since I've owned it (almost a year now).

Further, since this is an ES stone, it means Whiteflash has it in-house. That means all you have to do is call Brian and ask him to pull the stone and tell you what he sees. Where are the inclusions....what color are they....what kind are they.....is it eyeclean? He'll tell you straight up....as he did with mine.

If it is, you've got yourself a hell of a pick on this stone. My two cents.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/4/2004 8:00:37 PM Regular Guy wrote:

I'd be interested personally if the comments on the girdle for the WF option should be of any concern (thn-sly thk-f); ----------------

I think you may have done what I did when I first saw the listing.....I made the mistake of thinking the girdle was Thick.

It actually reads "thin to slightly thick", which is spot on.....not a concern at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results