shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond info

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

raggmoppe

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have been reading all i can on the subject of picking
a diamond, however i keep seeing everyone use the term
H&A diamond. I have not seen that term on the GIA site
or anything else on diamonds.
Please, What does it mean ?????
Thanks
raggmoppe
confused.gif

cowboystu

Shiny_Rock
From someone who was in your shoes recently:

It means Hearts and Arrows. This pattern appears as a result of symmetry. Personaly I learned a lot from Jonathan @ Good Old Gold

Though his site is not the flashiest, it has great information. Take a look, and many of the posts will make better sense.

Take care,
Stu

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
H&A is short for what has come to be known as "Hearts & Arrows" cut quality and strictly applies to round brilliant cuts. You can learn more about it via the tutorial here on pricescope or on one we have also made on the subject at this link. http://www.goodoldgold.com/hearts_and_arrows.htm

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Rhino

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
H&A is an abbreviation for Hearts & Arrows which is supposed to represent a diamond which will exhibit a pattern of eight hearts and eight arrows when viewed while unmounted through a special scope. There is a great tutorial here on Price Scope which explains the concept quite well. Please be aware that a diamond is not Hearts & Arrows simply because it is listed as such by a dealer or even inscribed on the side of a diamond, the term is frequently misused by dealers who are simply trying to jump on the Hearts & Arrows bandwagon, just take a look at this thread which concerns a "H&A" diamond (that wasn't) which we brought in for evaluation on behalf of one of our clients... The arrows pattern of this diamond fades in and out because the pavilion mains were cut at the wrong angle and the hearts bleed together with the arrowheads beneath them... The diamond may be displaying a pattern of hearts and a pattern of arrows, but the crispness of the pattern is not consistent enough to warrant the "Hearts & Arrows" grade... Note that the GIA and AGS laboratories do not grade the quality of H&A patterns, if you see "H&A" under the "comments" section of their lab reports it only indicates that "H&A" was inscribed on the girdle edge of the diamond prior to the diamond being submitted for grading... What a sneaky trick!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results